"The Glue"

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

"The Glue"

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hi folks.......
I recently checked out a couple mixing tutorials on Groove3. Two different mix engineers, both very accomplished and working in two different genrés, both highly recommended Cytonic "The Glue" as a mix buss compressor for its emulation of the SSL console compressor.

This plugin never goes on sale, and—before I spend $100 on it—I'm wondering if anyone has first-hand experience with it, and—in particular—how it might compare with the Native Instruments "Solid Bus Compressor", which purports to be essentially the same thing (and which I already own, since it comes with NI Komplete).

Thanks in advance for any insight you have on "The Glue" and/or "The Glue" vs. "Solid Buss Compressor."
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mothra

Re: "The Glue"

Post by mothra »

Never used the Solid Buss Comp, but The Glue comes with Ableton Live (along with a couple other ported Cytomic plugs), and Im still using the actual SSL bus comp instead. To be honest, 'The Glue' doesn't sound very different than the SSL or the Waves version, but in Ableton its heavier on the CPU than Waves or the SSL. Sometimes Ill swap the SSL for the Brainworx Townhouse Bus Comp depending on the track. The Townhouse is what became the infamous SSL comp, but its a bit different and REALLY punchy for lack of a better word. If its something hip-hop or drum and bass Im working on and I really want to make it hit, the Townhouse is the way to go, but it can be a little too much sometimes.
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks, Mothra…. this is the stuff I was hoping to hear.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
sdemott

Post by sdemott »

Just to offer another opinion, and having used a real SSL E/G+ with the bus comp, and all the different emulations, there are better bus compressors out there. I much prefer the SPL Iron (real or plugin) because it just does so many nice things to the mix.

There's nothing wrong with the SSL bus compression, but a lot of people are surprised at how uncolored it really is. It was meant to be a very transparent VCA compressor. It does it's thing without adding a lot of its own flavor. While other compressors can have more mojo.
-Steve
Not all who wander are lost.