New To Motu,828 es .newbie needs help..please

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
aghud
Primary DAW OS: Windows

New To Motu,828 es .newbie needs help..please

Post by aghud »

Hi Guys !
i am new to all things Motu, I have been working with a focusrite 18i20 for ages but decided to up my game and move in with the big kids :lol:
thing is now i am way out of my depth..
i need help with....yep the routing of my new 828 es
i keep getting close but not close enough i keep having to start anew .. last night i was sitting at the desk untill 5.45 am .. 19hours of frustration...
can i get help here ??
cheers
t
ps
if yes then i will write more descriptivly .. its very long winded as you all know and i have other stuff i need to find out as well
so b4 i write a humungus long post i can wait to see if anyone can point me to where i need to be looking
:)
Mark Linder

Re: New To Motu,828 es .newbie needs help..please

Post by Mark Linder »

What's the issue?
MOTU 8pre-es via Thunderbolt to Windows 10, 3700x
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Hi, I’m not the guy who can help with these—if for no other reason than I don’t speak Windows anymore. We do need a bit more information.

Your OS and what App is this feeding?

What are you trying to accomplish? Don’t tell us how because that’s not working. We need to know what you are trying to do. How many channels you are using, if separate monitoring is an issue, MIDI, live, recording or both. The ES has so many routing options, we need a clue—otherwise, it’s ‘read the manual and figure it out’ which isn’t much help when you are new to something like this.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
aghud

Post by aghud »

Hi Guys !
thanks for the lifeline :-)
i was just seeing if i could post some real benal questions without getting on peeps nerves
ok
first up my system
MOTU 828ES 0001f2fffe0152ed 1.3.5+184 1.1.1+TEST Tonys-828ES Windows 4.0.8.9612 ip: 192.168.178.38 9998 (this is the info at the bottom of browser page)
os
Windows 10 pro (latest bild)
Daw Cubase 11 Pro
web browser Chrome is main, then windows edge
what i want to achieve is .:
828 es gets 2x8 ADAT ins from my old focusrite 18i20 (gen1) and 01v96
the 828es will then send 1x8 ADAT outs to Each of these
i want to load the AVB prest live recording into my 828es ... this is where it gets nuts

when i open the preset and load it the optical reads either A= Toslink , B= ADAT,or A=TOSLINK, B=TOSLINK
no big deal right ?
ichange both Banks to read A+B=ADAT..so far so good
i open the matrix only to see that the "to computer has not the full bank "A" ADAT Channels only two channels (i think this comes from preset the toslink thing) , Bank Bis okay.. strange behavior indeed why only Bank B even though both where originally TOSLINK

next step was to re input the ADATS easy right ??
nope .
not enough space. so i raise the number from 22 to 28 "to Computer"
this should work .. but then this is where my focus goes .
i inadvertently mess things up and then clear all of the matrix
but... i am not really that converse with the motu setup to know what i am doin is right or wrong...obviosly very very wrong

what am i doing wrong or do i have a rogue unit ??
i have been sitting here for three days pulling my hair out (if i had some)

test done on coms between units postive all units are talking to each other audio passing through ADAT in and out
All units are synced via SPDF and as far as i can tell look to be ok but.... until i can start recording i will never know
i have checked the firmware it is the very latest Unit is new i have it three or four days
i have deleted driver from windows and reinstalled several times

i have used other presets and this happens all the time so i turned off my other units to see if ist them .... nope
Also play back is ok using a media player in windows no cracks or pops audio is good
in cubase i have tested playback all good
i just cant get a definite I/O yet untill i get to the bottom of this..
see screenshots in my google drive

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
thanks in advance Guys
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I have an 828ES, and setting it up took me awhile, too, as I carefully plotted what I needed to do in my studio. But it has been two years since I did that on my Mac, and my recollection is shoddy at this point. That said, I don't know why you are not seeing the full allocation of ADAT routing options. The web app looks the same to Windows and Mac users. I know MOTU moved a few things around in the web app after the initial release, so make sure you look at the entirety of every setup page to make sure you aren't missing anything.

It looks like you are intending to use the interface as a mixer for monitor feeds, yes? If so, have you tried the Interface + Mixer starting setup? I'd consider drawing up a list of all your I/O requirements in advance so you can plan the I/O layout, computer connections and busing.

MOTU has been very helpful to many lately, via TechLink or a phone call. If all else fails and before your hair is completely gone, consider reaching out directly the the good folks there. Also, there are a number of videos on the subject here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... yitROJ1k4I

Thankfully, once the routing matrix is properly set up, there is little reason to revisit unless you make changes to your studio setup. I've got up to five discrete monitor mixes going here, plus stereo and surround monitoring and sends to external tracking reverb and delays... as daunting as it is, the matrix is incredibly powerful. Here's hoping you get this rolling soon!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
aghud

Post by aghud »

Hi Markus
yeah thats what i want to do
use the adat outs to feed my 18i20 so that in turn feeds my live room and other places mainly for headphones etc
the other adat outs feed the 01v96 which will be used as further outs or even sendig 8-10 (if i use the spdf also) to a seperate room for A/V work should any come my way

yes i know it takes time but i just cant help feeling dispondant at his point in time as i seem to be chasing blue squares around my screen for days on end,,, i am old enough to remember the first games on Atari and commodore lol it reminded me of that ha ha only this is way more intimidating than a space invader game..
to be honest i have looked at all the you tube vids out there and cant find one specific to the 828es and cubase
i know the avb stuff is all the same principal but i have not found a video yet that actually explains by examples instead they just propell through the stuff as fast as they can...
thanks for your kind advice
stay safe and stay healthy
T
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I don't think the issue you are having is Cuebase, as I note the missing ADAT connection points on the AVB Matrix. Once you get the MOTU set up, I am optimistic it will publish to Cuebase without issue. Here's hoping!

And if you don't quickly get it sorted, make the call to MOTU. They want you to succeed.

Also, Save and Save As are your eternal friends... do lots of Save As as you move forward, so you can avoid having to start from scratch ever again.
aghud

Post by aghud »

Hi Markus
i know its not my Daw its obvious its my lack of understanding
i live in Germany so phoning the mother ship with a newbie question is not good i will do that when the interface starts smoking :-)
i have however got some awesome support peeps the distributors are also the support , Klemm Music.
they will get back as soon as they can and they do .
its just i feel knowledge is gained best by experience and experience should be passed down as knowledge etc.
this is why i posted here on the forum cos there are a whole lot of knowledgeable people in here
like your good self sir..
Mark Linder

Post by Mark Linder »

If you email their support, I bet you get help quite quickly, from MOTU.
MOTU 8pre-es via Thunderbolt to Windows 10, 3700x
aghud

Post by aghud »

hi mark
yes indeed..so far realy impressed with motu
Why didnt i buy one sooner ...? duh ! :lol: :lol: :lol: