Are you kidding me MOTU? Masterworks automation limited

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Are you kidding me MOTU? Masterworks automation limited

Post by toodamnhip »

I cannot believe that MOTU does not have ALL parameters available for automation in their Masterworks Limiter!
As far as I can tell, only some parameters automate (left right gain/ceiling,threshhold) but NOT "RELEASE"? What??!!
I am working on an old song that had this as its limiter and at the beginning, I thought, hey this is a pretty nice sounding limiter, I should use it more.
But why the heck would MOTU NOT make ALL parameters automate-able? What kind of Stone Age mentality is this?
The song sounds amazing and needs a different please speed at the end when levels get hot.
Now what? I guess I am going to have to make a SECOND iteration with a different release time and automate a mute for the two iterations of the same limiter to have one with a shorter release time take over at the end...how dumb!
I seem to recall another basic limiter of MOTU's has the same dumb issue.

This kind of illogic drives me nuts. This is a company falling behind the curve. Are you listening MOTU? Would you like your products to come to modern times or stay in the 90s?

(Didn't they sell the Masterworks plugs separately for awhile? With limited automation capabilities...really?)

Yikes!
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
mikehalloran

Re: Are you kidding me MOTU? Masterworks automation limited

Post by mikehalloran »

They did sell MW separately but that was awhile back and I'm not sure the stand alone was ever updated to 64 bit.

I used to use MW Limiter but it gets nasty when pushed. I'll have it riding my choral tracks to tame the occasional out of control soprano but for the master bus or anything I need to hit hard, I'm now using bx_limiter TRUE PEAK from Plugin Alliance.

I agree that it's past time for MOTU to show the MW package some love with a real update.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Re: Are you kidding me MOTU? Masterworks automation limited

Post by mikehalloran »

bx_limiter_TRUE_PEAK just went on sale for $49.99. Of all the limiter plugs I have, this is the only one I actually like.

Brainworx' bx_limiter True Peak is a completely new design, crafted to avoid the shortcomings of existing true peak limiters. Use it to confidently hit your loudness targets without leaving behind any distortion-inducing inter-sample peaks, and without compromising on the sound quality of your masters.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/pro ... _peak.html

You have to create an account first to get the price and they will bombard you with offers to subscribe to the whole suite but it is possible to get the one permanent license for the plug you want.

In addition, bx_masterdesk is on sale for $29.99.

The full-sized version of the plugin provides additional functionality, including Mid/Side features, Resonance filters and more. Containing every component you need to create professional results, bx_masterdesk allows you to master your own material with a minimal learning curve.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro