IRSC code (and ISWC code)?; DistroKid? etc

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
artfarm1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

IRSC code (and ISWC code)?; DistroKid? etc

Post by artfarm1 »

Hi all,

I'm have an album's worth of instrumental music mastered and ready to 'get out there'.

Some questions for those of you who have put out albums/tunes for yourself and/or other artists:

I'll imbed metadata into each tune (ie: title, composer).

But, should I also imbed ISWC code (from my ASCAP work registrations) on each tune?

- if I use DiskMakers, should I have them imbed an IRSC code? Would the ISWC code remain in place?
- if I use DistroKid for distribution, should I leave the IRSC coding for them to do instead of DiskMakers?
- would ISWC coding be uploaded and still stay imbedded in my audio files if DistroKid did their thing?
- does metadata imbedding only apply to mp3 audio files?

It's hard to get straight answers or find out information about this stuff.

Thanks for any ideas!
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
mikehalloran

Re: IRSC code (and ISWC code)?; DistroKid? etc

Post by mikehalloran »

ISRC codes are easy to obtain. The fee is $95 nowadays but you pay it once and are allowed to create 100,000 codes per calendar year. I see no reason to use anyone else's. Every variation of anything you release gets its unique code.

https://www.usisrc.org/
But, should I also imbed ISWC code (from my ASCAP work registrations) on each tune?
Call ASCAP Member Services but I'd be surprised if the answer is Yes. If so, let us know. I'm a member and also worked in General Licensing till last year and never heard of that.

UPC bar codes are expensive to obtain on your own. If going through a distributor (CD baby etc.), you'll have the opportunity to use their bar codes for a few bucks a tune.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

Having contacted CDBaby earlier, they explained what they do under their ProPublishing deal.

That essentially takes care of everything, if you're already an ASCAP member. CDBaby keeps track of the ISRC codes and the composition's ISWC code when you fill out the forms on CDBaby. Then, they keep track of the mechanical code (ISRC) and the composition code (ISWC).

No need to embed anything into the audio files going to them, as they will embed the ISRC if needed and keep track of the rest. Nice!
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Watch out for publishing with CD Baby if you plan on licensing any of your stuff to libraries. Could be a significant issue. Research before your pull the trigger.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There is no way I would use anyone’s ISRC codes but mine or the client’s. Of course they keep track of the ISWC since they have to report it under any ‘pro publishing’ arrangement but your question was about embedding the code—I’ve still not heard of anyone doing that. It sounds like a good idea, however, now that ASCAP and BMI maintained a shared ISWC database.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Michael Shuman wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:55 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:07 am ISRC codes are easy to obtain. The fee is $95 nowadays but you pay it once and are allowed to create 100,000 codes per calendar year. I see no reason to use anyone else's. Every variation of anything you release gets its unique code.

https://www.usisrc.org/
Call ASCAP Member Services but I'd be surprised if the answer is Yes. If so, let us know. I'm a member and also worked in General Licensing till last year and never heard of that.

UPC bar codes are expensive to obtain on your own. If going through a distributor (CD baby etc.), you'll have the opportunity to use their bar codes for a few bucks a tune.
Fee is only about 95? :shock: I thought it is around 250 :roll:
There is a link. If you click on it you'll find the price really is a one time fee of $95 — unless you need more than 100,000 per year. They tell you to contact them for that pricing.