Track color SHADES not showing up in Tracks window

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
shelly_the_turtle
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Track color SHADES not showing up in Tracks window

Post by shelly_the_turtle »

Been having this problem for a while. I'm able to to select and see different track color shades, be the shades don't show up in the main tracks window - only the primary color selection. Anyone else have this problem and have a fix? I'm on DP 11.02
HCMarkus

Re: Track color SHADES not showing up in Tracks window

Post by HCMarkus »

Look in Preferences... there is a way to fix that. Not in front of DP, but I know it's there.
shelly_the_turtle

Yeah in Preferences => Track Colors, there's a section that says "Assign new tracks:" and there's an option for "to different shades of the same color"... which I have selected. It does show shades differences in the color icon of each track, but audio and MIDI regions in the tracks arrange window do not show up as those respective shades - only the primary color shows up in the MIDI/audio regions. I can't figure out how to fix that still. Any further thoughts?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I know it can be done. I did it. But I don't recall how and don't have time to look at this point.

Anyone? Anyone? Ferris?
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

View>Colors>Assign Track Colors?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Try Opt-clicking the track color to bring up the shades.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

In a dentist chair at the moment. I don’t remember how either but it’s easy.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
shelly_the_turtle

Thank you for all the responses, but unfortunately none of these are solving the problem. I've attached screenshot here so make sure the problem I'm having is clear. On the left you'll see I've selected various shades of the same color for subsequent tracks, but the MIDI regions on the right only display the primary color (same for all of them). I've always been big on color coordinating to keep things organized, so this has been driving me crazy. Really appreciate everyone's help!

IMAGE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1qqaeynbxnoj ... s.png?dl=0
stringtheory

Post by stringtheory »

I have also had an issue recently with certain colors not displaying properly on DP in the Track Overview, khaki displaying as yellow for the track but khaki on the left, e.g. I also sent them a screenshot. MOTU has not been able to reproduce this one. Another user had it as well. Please report it to them and you can reference my Tech Link MTL164946.
27" iMac 4.0GHz (late 2015), 32G RAM, OSX 10.13.6, DP10.01, UAD Apollo Duo TB, MTPAV USB (also 2021 14" MBP M1 Pro, 32G RAM, Apollo Twin Duo TB)
shelly_the_turtle

String theory, this also happens to me with certain color schemes, though not all of them. I'm guessing the problem is related somehow.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

This might work. I tried creating 12 tracks with preferences set to assign new tracks to different shades of the same colour and got the same result you did. All the same shade of blue.

So, when to preferences>Track colours and clicked on Open beside "edit colour schemes". That presents a list of colour schemes. I picked Rainbow, and clicked Edit, then OK. Then when I created 12 more tracks they were all different shades of the same colour. In this case Orange.

I don't know why. I didn't change any preferences, or actually edit anything. Maybe there was just something that needed a reset.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I was just doing a project in 11.02 and noticed that the track color palette shows an 8X12 grid, but the color across each row is identical-- no gradients from light to dark.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

So, when to preferences>Track colours and clicked on Open beside "edit colour schemes". That presents a list of colour schemes. I picked Rainbow, and clicked Edit, then OK. Then when I created 12 more tracks they were all different shades of the same colour. In this case Orange.

I don't know why. I didn't change any preferences, or actually edit anything. Maybe there was just something that needed a reset.
When this had happened to me, it was after opening a project done in Performer Lite. Anything I did from my templates had the colors correct but new projects not from a template now did the monochrome way till I reset my preferences as described above. Ok…

After MOTU released an update to PL, I walked my friend through changing his Default to Rainbow and never had that problem again. Still trying to get him to update to DP.

This was so last year that I'd forgotten it till now.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Confirmed. That process fixed it for me, as well.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
stringtheory

Post by stringtheory »

Interesting! I will try this and report back, soon.
27" iMac 4.0GHz (late 2015), 32G RAM, OSX 10.13.6, DP10.01, UAD Apollo Duo TB, MTPAV USB (also 2021 14" MBP M1 Pro, 32G RAM, Apollo Twin Duo TB)