Latency in Cubase 11 / Direct monitoring issues

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
tc7four
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Latency in Cubase 11 / Direct monitoring issues

Post by tc7four »

Hi everyone and thank you for having me here. I have been trying for a long time to work how to get direct monitoring from my Motu 624 to my headphones. When using Cubase and trying to record my guitar via the Guitar 1 input, I get this minor latency which makes it impossible to record anything and be on time with a click track or basically anything. I have watched the videos from Motu on how to use the grid but to no avail. This only happens with Cubase. Having the same setup in Reaper I get zero latency. Am I missing something or is it Cubase's problem? Any help would be highly appreciated as because of that I have resorted to a cheap Behringer audio interface so that I can record my guitar in the DAW. Thank you
MOTU 624
Cubase 11 Pro
Win 10 Intel Desktop PC
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Latency in Cubase 11 / Direct monitoring issues

Post by HCMarkus »

The DAW one uses should have no impact on monitoring thru MOTU's built-in AVB Mixer. If you are monitoring thru the AVB Mixer, you should be able to hear your instrument regardless of whether your DAW is running or not.

Wtach this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp-tnzP ... x=9&t=196s

Note the interface preset used.
tc7four

Post by tc7four »

Thank you for the tip HCMarkus. I actually had the audio interface setup all this time. And, yeah it did reduce latency in Cubase compared to what it was before but there is still just enough to throw things out of tempo when tracking with click track. I think that it's Cubase causing the issue because I have no issue at all when doing the same thing in Reaper. I even tried to lower the buffer size from 128 to 64 but to no avail.
MOTU 624
Cubase 11 Pro
Win 10 Intel Desktop PC
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

If you are getting any latency at all, you aren’t using direct AVB Mixer monitoring. All the computer does is control the mixer that is built in to the MOTU interface
tc7four

Post by tc7four »

Hi again,

thank you very much for the prompt answers but I feel I'm more lost than before. I watched the video and set my 624 as interface and mixer and that reduced the latency but hasn't eliminated it. Is it a matter of connections in the routing grid or enabling something in the mixer? It's probably something very simple but I just can't find it. I would really appreciate it if you could help me out. It's really strange as in Reaper I have no issues at all

Thanks again
MOTU 624
Cubase 11 Pro
Win 10 Intel Desktop PC