Oddball Bug or User Error???

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jsg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Oddball Bug or User Error???

Post by jsg »

When I play notes on a keyboard connected to a MOTU Microlite MIDI interface, every note sounds except F#3 (below middle C. I have a DP 9.52 file with about 25 MIDI tracks, and this happens on every track. The sequence plays back fine, and if I click on the f#3 in Quickscribe it sounds as expected, but when I play that one note on a keyboard, it is mute.

It also happens if I take the keyboard out of the equation and use MIDI Keys as the input, same thing, F#3 won't play! Even weirder, if I go to Sequence editor or the MIDI Editor windows and turn on "MIDI Edit" in the sub-menu, then the note plays, but only in those two windows. If I go to event list, Quickscribe, the mixing view or the track view, it won't sound.

This only happens with one DP file. If I open another file, or start a new one, the problem disappears.

I am suspected either data corruption in this one file, or somehow the f#3 is being seen as a controller event rather than a note-on event. I haven't been able to find a setting in DP to map or unmap controllers. Is there one?

Anyone have an idea of what is going on?

Thanks!
Jerry
http://www.jerrygerber.com
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Oddball Bug or User Error???

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Go to the COMMANDS window in DP. Look for the MIDI trigger assigned to F#3. I think one fast way to find it is to try and assign the trigger to another command. DP should put up an error message telling you where the trigger is already being used (I'm not certain MIDI triggers show double assignment errors, but they probably do).

Don't assign the new trigger. Search for the command listed in the error window, go there and delete the F#3 trigger. Problem solved. Non?

Bug? Perhaps. It's the same note that sometimes get arbitrarily assigned in my system (usually on updates). The other thing to watch out for in DP is hitting cmd-f. In most programs, that is for searching. In DP it's for the view filter. Hit the wrong button there and all your data becomes invisible.

Bad programming? Maybe.

Easter Egg? That's my guess.

And what's with using the effing F# and F key? lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Yeah, I ran into this a while back. In my case it was F#2 (I think that was back in DP 7 or 8 ). Why on earth MOTU used this as the default is beyond me.

Phil
Last edited by Phil O on Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:And what's with using the effing F# and F key? lol
F# reminds me of the key of G, which reminds me of the time I broke a G-string in the presence of a minor.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Phil O wrote:Yeah, I ran into this a while back. In my case it was F#2. Why on earth MOTU used this as the default is beyond me.

Phil
It probably was F#2 here as well. I'm old and get confused sometimes. Where do I live? Who AM I? What book?

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jsg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by jsg »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Go to the COMMANDS window in DP. Look for the MIDI trigger assigned to F#3. I think one fast way to find it is to try and assign the trigger to another command. DP should put up an error message telling you where the trigger is already being used (I'm not certain MIDI triggers show double assignment errors, but they probably do).

Don't assign the new trigger. Search for the command listed in the error window, go there and delete the F#3 trigger. Problem solved. Non?

Bug? Perhaps. It's the same note that sometimes get arbitrarily assigned in my system (usually on updates). The other thing to watch out for in DP is hitting cmd-f. In most programs, that is for searching. In DP it's for the view filter. Hit the wrong button there and all your data becomes invisible.

Bad programming? Maybe.

Easter Egg? That's my guess.

And what's with using the effing F# and F key? lol
Hey, Thank you Michael! That did the trick.
When I opened Commands last night, the window was somewhat narrow and I missed the column where the F#3 was bound to a command. Easy fix, thanks again!

Best,
Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com
Movies

Post by Movies »

Hey!

I was having this exact problem WITH THE EXACT SAME PITCH and this 2018 conversation just completely fixed me up.

Thank, everyone, for reuniting me with my F#3!
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel i7/16GB, OSX 10.14.6, DP 10.1, MOTU 896mk3