Does this address the single MIDI port issue in Logic?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
nk_e
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Does this address the single MIDI port issue in Logic?

Post by nk_e »

Hi. This is way OT obviously, but I’ve seen more intelligent discussion of this topic here than elsewhere oddly enough.

Apple just released Logic 10.7. There’s a looong list of fixes and improvements some of which are exclusive to M1 chips (most are not).

https://www.kvraudio.com/news/apple-upd ... -pro-53081

One caught my eye:
The Track Inspector now offers separate MIDI input and output port settings.
Does this mean the single MIDI port restriction has been removed?

Full disclosure: I don’t use Logic nearly as much as I used to, so I’m asking more out of curiosity than anything else.

Thanks.
George

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

nk_e

Re: Does this address the single MIDI port issue in Logic?

Post by nk_e »

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Yes that is my understanding, they added a MIDI IN and Port In field for each track. So now you can explicitly declare on a track by track basis where its MIDI input is coming from, to record to it, or direct to a plugin or whatever... I haven't been able to test this out because BigSur required, so I don't know in actual practice if there is any weirdness to look out for... But they seem to be on the right track with that one... That is probably the only improvement that they made to 10.7 that I could care less about, but since I am not on BigSur yet, can live without it. Very glad that MOTU is still supporting me on Catalina.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

I think Logic is getting closer, but no cigar for this.
Still convoluted and requires multiple button pushes to get the result.

The beauty of DP's 'Tracks Window' is that it works as a patch bay.
Input and Output... Audio and MIDI.

Brilliant!
All is well
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I'm intrigued, but DP11 keeps on delivering fun stuff for me. The built in instruments in Logic are ridiculously great and the iPad App is fantastic, but I like DPs articulation mapping better, Chunks and multiple choices for plug in formats. I'm going to instal it on the M1, though it was my biggest complaint in Logic, I'm too deep into DP these days to really be swayed I think.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Agreed. Interesting and long overdue but no reason to consider switching. I paid the two bills a long time ago as part of Apple's Pro Apps Bundle for Education

https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/produ ... education?

but normally use it to answer questions for my LPx users and to open projects for export so that I can import the tracks into DP.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

LogicPro has its pros and cons. Previously the input MIDI port was a major con, but this probably eliminates that con as a real concern, despite it may take a few extra keystrokes compared to DP

LogicPro has incredible instruments, step sequencer is getting pretty good now, atmosphere is not to be ignored. MIDI plugin fx slots. It has Scripter!! numerous things. Myself I am transitioning to DP primarily because of chunks and hit points...and also because Apple has still not fixed their plugin delay compensation in 10 years of people complaining about it and I suspect it could be another 10 the way things are going. Dp has its challenges too.. none are perfect.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

dewdman42 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:15 pm Dp has its challenges too.. none are perfect.
Amen to that, I've bounced around a bit in my pursuit of perfection. Realistically they're all absolutely fantastic. I think anyone who used sequencers in the mid eighties can attest to that.

IMO anyway MOTU does a great Job with the vastly more limited budget for DP than what the Logic team has access to. I don't think that's a stretch to assume.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

This is useful, sort of. I make use of Logic instruments sometimes by configuring Logic as an external processor using inter app MIDI and things like Soundflower to get audio back. The template for this in Logic has a complicated Environment page to route the MIDI so not every MIDI track in DP plays every channel of every instrument in Logic. Looks like this fixes that problem. But what a PITA having to update everything to Big Sur.

Michael, have you used the newer Logic iPad app to play bowed stringed instrument VIs in Logic?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8