Which new Mac Pro is optimal for a DP DAW?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Which new Mac Pro is optimal for a DP DAW?

Post by Michael Canavan »

gaucho2 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:59 pm I’ve been running DP 11 beautifully on my m1 Mac mini under Big Sur.
kontakt and spectrasonics are working perfectly.
It’s the best, smoothest, most stable system I have ever had with performer since 1986.
Only drawback: 16 gigs of RAM.
I'm balking on getting the M1 Max and buying a 5 month old M1 Macbook Air off Craigslist. Mostly because The M1 Max I want comes in at around 5 grand and at that price I would feel weird taking it places. The 16GB RAM Air and my old trusty 09 MAc Pro with 96GB RAM will cover orchestral stuff just fine with VEP, and at 1/4 the price of the new M1 Max. The combined Geekbench score of the Pro and Air matches the M1 Max, with 16+96GB RAM.The only caveat is going through some hoops to set up two monitors with the Air, but it's possible.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

dix wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:32 am Interesting that RIck's 2013 is running well with DP11.02 when another user in Japan has noted issues like you have reported. Only diff looks like macOS11.

…Presumably Rick is running DP11 with video. @Rick, if you have time please check out the link HC referenced and let us know if you’re experiencing the movie-window-lag that users of older Macs are experiencing with DP11.
To respond…
I only *just* updated to Big Sur and DP11.02 and hadn't run any video projects on that platform until this morning. I opened a *large* (for me) video project I did in DP 9.52 which included a 720p video file. Once I sorted out issues with plugins I'd changed since I did this score, it ran perfectly without a glitch or hiccup. Screen shot below for reference on the file size.

I will say, my Mac Pro is a working system, so I don't have Microsoft Office or other non-music or video software on it, nor do I have any apps or plugins from sketchy sources installed on my system drive. I like keeping things clean and simple on my working systems.

Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Rick, did you try the editing move that dix did as depicted in his video at the linked thread?

Just want to confirm this. Thanks!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Rick, did you ever upgrade to an NVMe blade or is your 6.1 still sporting its AHCI SSD?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dix

Post by dix »

Rick Cornish wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:14 am
dix wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:32 am Interesting that RIck's 2013 is running well with DP11.02 when another user in Japan has noted issues like you have reported. Only diff looks like macOS11.

…Presumably Rick is running DP11 with video. @Rick, if you have time please check out the link HC referenced and let us know if you’re experiencing the movie-window-lag that users of older Macs are experiencing with DP11.
To respond…
I only *just* updated to Big Sur and DP11.02 and hadn't run any video projects on that platform until this morning. I opened a *large* (for me) video project I did in DP 9.52 which included a 720p video file. Once I sorted out issues with plugins I'd changed since I did this score, it ran perfectly without a glitch or hiccup. Screen shot below for reference on the file size.

I will say, my Mac Pro is a working system, so I don't have Microsoft Office or other non-music or video software on it, nor do I have any apps or plugins from sketchy sources installed on my system drive. I like keeping things clean and simple on my working systems.

Thanks Rick. Yes. In general large projects with movies run at least as well in DP11 as they did in previous versions of DP on older Macs like mine. It's only specific actions that cause the issue in DP11 (key issues in my workflow). This movie demonstrates just a few of the laggy actions that a Movie window causes in DP11 that disappear when the movie is cleared:

DP11-Movie-NoMovie.mov

I too run a relatively clean DP-only rig, but still can't shake this issue. MOTU has acknowledged the problem, but haven't been able to suggest a fix.

[Apologies again for taking this even further off-topic, but a user of an older Mac that is not experiencing the lag could really help a few of us that are. Thx again]
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com