Catalina on bootable external drive

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

funkyfreddy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Catalina on bootable external drive

Post by funkyfreddy »

I have a MacBook Pro running Big Sur and wanted to install Catalina on a bootable external drive, mainly to run MOTU's Ethno and other programs I can't currently run under Big Sur. What's the easiest way to do this? Thanks, Fred
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
bayswater

Re: Catalina on bootable external drive

Post by bayswater »

I have Mojave and Big Sur on a 2018 Mini. Rather than putting BS on an external, I put it on a volume on the internal drive. A volume rather than a partition because then both systems share the space on the drive rather than partitions which require dedicated space. BS takes up an additional 10g. You can set this up in Diskutility. I also found that BS can see and run many apps that are on the Mojave volume if auth etc files can be found on the BS drive.

I’m sure there is a host of reasons not to do it this way but it has worked for me for a couple of years now.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:38 pm I have Mojave and Big Sur on a 2018 Mini. Rather than putting BS on an external, I put it on a volume on the internal drive. A volume rather than a partition because then both systems share the space on the drive rather than partitions which require dedicated space. BS takes up an additional 10g. You can set this up in Diskutility. I also found that BS can see and run many apps that are on the Mojave volume if auth etc files can be found on the BS drive.

I’m sure there is a host of reasons not to do it this way but it has worked for me for a couple of years now.
The only reason I can think of not to do this is you just don't have the space. Otherwise, use Volumes instead of Partitions on APFS formatted drives.

Since your MBP has a T2 chip, you have to defeat a security setting in the Repair Partition that prevents multiple boot volumes or booting from an external. Apple has support docs on this but I have the instructions archived somewhere if necessary.

I, too, have Mojave and Big Sur. There are a couple of 32 bit bread and butter apps that require Mojave. Works great on my 2017. As you have a 2019, Catalina should have been the bundled MacOS so I'm not sure that Mojave is an option for you unless yours was early 2019.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:07 pm
bayswater wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:38 pm Since your MBP has a T2 chip, you have to defeat a security setting in the Repair Partition that prevents multiple boot volumes or booting from an external. Apple has support docs on this but I have the instructions archived somewhere if necessary.

Wow.... sounds way more complicated than it used to be :(

This explains why I can't boot into my other drives that I used to be able to do with my iMac. I'd love to get the info on how to defeat the security setting when you get a chance to find them Mike.

Thanks Bayswater and Mike for your input and info!
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

These two documents should tell you what you need to know.

https://support.apple.com/guide/securit ... 34e5b5/web

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208198

These can only be accessed through the Repair Partition. Shut down, boot with Command r keys held down. Until the above is run, disconnect any externals with a bootable MacOS or you will never see the Repair Partition on a T2 Mac. Fun, huh? Once the security settings are changed, not only can you access bootable externals but the Repair Partition will again be available.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

Thanks again Mike!

I'm going to start another thread in General Macintosh and pick your brains about the issue my old iMac is having.

Thanks,
Fred