Resolved: 8pre Clipping From Guitar Amp

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
WildVines
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Resolved: 8pre Clipping From Guitar Amp

Post by WildVines »

I have a 8pre and I'm getting distortion that sounds like clipping coming from the output of my guitar amp. It seems to only be present in the main outs to my studio monitors, not the headphone out. I tried using a direct box Hi to Lo Z, but that didn't help. Everything was connected to my previous interface, a Roland Octacapture, the same way without any problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by WildVines on Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 8pre Clipping From Guitar Amp

Post by mikehalloran »

From the manual:
■ Eight 24-bit analog combo XLR/TRS mic/
instrument inputs with preamps, each equipped
with individually switchable 20 dB pad…
Mismatched sample rates cause distortion and
crackling. If you hear this sort of thing, check the
sample rate settings in your hardware and here in
MOTU Audio Setup.
Not sure if either is the problem other than I would look there first.

https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firew ... de_Win.pdf
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
WildVines
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by WildVines »

Thanks Mike for the response. I have the main outs of the 8pre going into an amp with passive speakers attached. Looks like the problem was that I had the output level on the 8pre all the way up. When I lowered the main out level the distortion went away.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

WildVines wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:16 pm Thanks Mike for the response. I have the main outs of the 8pre going into an amp with passive speakers attached. Looks like the problem was that I had the output level on the 8pre all the way up. When I lowered the main out level the distortion went away.
:woohoo:

Great! You should edit the title of your first post adding — Resolved to the title. This helps other users who find this thread in a Google search.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro