Looking for tips to adjust monitoring input levels

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ingmar
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Looking for tips to adjust monitoring input levels

Post by ingmar »

Hello DP community,

A couple of months ago I switched from my 10 year old Mac Pro with Motu's PCI 2408 system to a new Mac Mini and a Thunderbolt interface, the 8A. Still using the converters of my old 2408 for additional i/o as I like mixing on an analogue console. Also, I upgraded to DP 11 and I'm quite happy with how my new system performs.

One thing that bugs me, however is this: when tracking there is a noticeable difference in volume between the levels of a live input signal and the playback signal. Playback seems always louder, and I'm having a hard time adjusting the monitoring levels. Once I play back what I just recorded the volume of the track is just a lot higher than during the tracking. Why is that? I can't wrap my mind around it. Is this even DP related, or do I find a solution in Motu's Pro Audio Control?

Any hints or tips are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ingmar
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Motu 8A, Motu 2408 mk3, Mac Mini M1, Big Sur, DP 11
HCMarkus

Re: Looking for tips to adjust monitoring input levels

Post by HCMarkus »

Routing audio in DP is supremely flexible. I have my DP template set up so a single fader in DP's Mixer controls DPs Main Output level. When tracking, I use this fader to balance the level between DP playback and AVB Mixer live inputs. If you prefer, you can accomplish the same thing by having DP's Main Out routed to a fader in the AVB Mixer, with which relative playback level can be adjusted.

I love the AVB Mixer flexibility, but the Routing Matrix can be daunting. Before installing my studio's 828ES, I spent several days planning and setting up routing. Same goes for my DP Template. Although modification may be required on occasion (new gear, new workflow), time spent developing a solid initial setup is quickly repaid.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
ingmar

Post by ingmar »

Thanks for your reply, HCMarkus. I agree, the Pro Audio Control matrix is as flexibly powerful as it is overwhelming. So you're saying, you use some sort of a master fader to balance out the different levels between live input and playback. Are you suggesting, I monitor my input signal exclusively through the AVB mixer and switch DP's audio patch thru in the studio menue to "off"?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Unless you need to monitor thru DP effects, yes, I’d suggest you try monitoring exclusively thru the AVB Mixer. This frees you from buffer size /latency concerns when tracking and allows one to create multiple independent phone/tablet-controllable monitor mixes outside of DP for live performers. It is how I work in my studio.
ingmar

Post by ingmar »

Makes sense. When I was running my old system on the 2408, I always chose the input monitoring option "direct hardware playthough". Thanks for the suggestion, Mark. :)