DP11 is here!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP11 is here!

Post by Michael Canavan »

60s Pop Man wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:32 pm So DP11 running in native AS mode loads the latest specked close enough for M1 AU version of Falcon, HALion Sonic, and Cubase plug-ins Padshop and Retrologue. Old-code Absynth like FM8 does not load.
FYI UVI say they have a great beta of Falcon already natively working on AS M1 Macs. So the release is weeks or at most a few months away. :headbang:

If NI could do this with Kontakt soon I would be pretty set really. U-He also have open betas working on M1. Now for the other MPE devices like Lion, Pigments etc. AAS are there I hear.

The biggest one is a native version of the MAS plug in. That gets done and the rest can straggle all they want on my Mac Pro as a VEP slave.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
60s Pop Man

Post by 60s Pop Man »

Michael Canavan wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:16 pm FYI UVI say they have a great beta of Falcon already natively working on AS M1 Macs. So the release is weeks or at most a few months away. :headbang:
That's great news!
M1 Mac mini 1TB/16GB, macOS 13.4.1, DP11.22, audiofront MIDI Expression iO, MOTU M2&M4, UAD Apollo
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

PSA:

Memory Clean 3 isn't available as a free version as has been said; there's a 3-day trial and the paid version, unless I'm missing something...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

monkey man wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:50 am PSA:

Memory Clean 3 isn't available as a free version as has been said; there's a 3-day trial and the paid version, unless I'm missing something...
This is more than adequate to purge RAM.
https://mac-how-to.gadgethacks.com/how- ... t-0166928/

IMO there's a whole industry of basically snake oil software being sold to the end user on Mac OS. This is probably the simplest Terminal command there is. Onyx is good and free, Malwarebytes is good enough in the free version.

If you want to go whole hog there is some benefit to TechTool Pro, especially for people like me who do not have the boot disks for the Mac Pro here in order to do a hardware check etc. if you do have the boot disks or a more modern instal without modifications that ruin it like mine, then it's not really necessary. Anyway it doesn't hurt anything but your wallet to buy these basically shells for Terminal commands, but some of this is super basic, like RAM purging.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

^^^THIS^^^
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Yea even the purge command is not really necessary macOS does all that automatically. But hey whatever helps you sleep at night
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Thanks Michael.

Yeah, I've run Terminal scripts for RAM purging and about a dozen other processes over the years, and from what I just saw the trial version of Memory Clean 3 is vastly more-effective. It took a minute or so too. Much-greater gain of free RAM than I've experienced via Terminal in the past.

I'm aware of the glorified-script-shell thing of course, but in this particular case it really seems to me like it accomplishes more somehow. No biggie; I might shell out the $20 AU or whatever at some point if I get desperate-enough. Safari is the main culprit I suspect 'cause even 'though it shows up "everywhere" as using only, say, 7-800mb at best, quitting the app will free up a third of my 38GB. My "dead" memory slot, combined with my reluctance to buy heftier sticks to replace those operating in active slots, mean that I'm happy to just reboot more-often until I'm able to grab the / an AS Mac Pro when they finally drop rather than shell out to increase the RAM capacity.

toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

monkey man wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:46 pm Thanks Michael.

Yeah, I've run Terminal scripts for RAM purging and about a dozen other processes over the years, and from what I just saw the trial version of Memory Clean 3 is vastly more-effective. It took a minute or so too. Much-greater gain of free RAM than I've experienced via Terminal in the past.

I'm aware of the glorified-script-shell thing of course, but in this particular case it really seems to me like it accomplishes more somehow. No biggie; I might shell out the $20 AU or whatever at some point if I get desperate-enough. Safari is the main culprit I suspect 'cause even 'though it shows up "everywhere" as using only, say, 7-800mb at best, quitting the app will free up a third of my 38GB. My "dead" memory slot, combined with my reluctance to buy heftier sticks to replace those operating in active slots, mean that I'm happy to just reboot more-often until I'm able to grab the / an AS Mac Pro when they finally drop rather than shell out to increase the RAM capacity.
Interesting conversation. I too tried to use Onyx instead of this new program. When Onyx required a complete restart after purging RAM, that immediately showed me its limitations. First off, restarting purges RAM by itself so what good is Onyx in this use? I think the POINT is to be able to KEEP working without a restart. So I too am thinking of buying this little utility. Its only 20 bucks or so anyway, and if it reclaims RAM without a restart, that worth it to me. Perhaps the skeptical poster still has other recommendations though? I have a lot of software, Techtool Pro, Onyx, etc...
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

toodamnhip wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:44 pmI think the POINT is to be able to KEEP working without a restart.
Exactamundo, Hipster.
toodamnhip wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:44 pmIts only 20 bucks or so anyway, and if it reclaims RAM without a restart, that worth it to me.
Only $9.99 for you, brother. 8)

I forgot to say earlier that when it outperformed my previous experiments with Terminal et al in the past, I'd only tested the "Clean" function and not "Extreme Clean", so you'd logically think the performance gap would be even-higher than what I experienced.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:23 pm Only $9.99 for you, brother. 8)
There are loads of free apps that invoke the various Unix commands to purge memory and clean caches. The adventurous can use scripting to create their own.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
gulliverity

Post by gulliverity »

--Monkeyman and Toodamnhip...

I know we have gone off on a tangent here, but if you run an Extreme Clean AFTER quitting your web browser, but BEFORE firing up Digital Performer 11 and your virtual instruments server (Vienna Ensemble in my case), you'll find the best results.

My understanding of the difference between the two settings is the Basic Clean forces the OS to release any RAM it had grabbed for a now-quit application. If it was the last application opened, then the reclaimed memory will be accurate. If, however, other applications had been opened in the interim, then there will be "empty pockets" that the OS fails to see. Extreme Clean moves all the RAM in use together so that all of the unused RAM is available.

Hey, before I got it I was as skeptical as anyone, but $10 USD to avoid restarts or switching to Terminal or checking Activity Monitor? (Plus all the other cool automatic features it has?) No brainer in my books.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

gulliverity wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:36 pm --Monkeyman and Toodamnhip...

I know we have gone off on a tangent here, but if you run an Extreme Clean AFTER quitting your web browser, but BEFORE firing up Digital Performer 11 and your virtual instruments server (Vienna Ensemble in my case), you'll find the best results.

My understanding of the difference between the two settings is the Basic Clean forces the OS to release any RAM it had grabbed for a now-quit application. If it was the last application opened, then the reclaimed memory will be accurate. If, however, other applications had been opened in the interim, then there will be "empty pockets" that the OS fails to see. Extreme Clean moves all the RAM in use together so that all of the unused RAM is available.

Hey, before I got it I was as skeptical as anyone, but $10 USD to avoid restarts or switching to Terminal or checking Activity Monitor? (Plus all the other cool automatic features it has?) No brainer in my books.
I’m liking the program thus far, however, it is a very “active“ program, and it seems to act on its own a lot based off o recent apps quit etc. and I also couldn’t figure out where to get it to stop making “chime sounds“. Which is annoying . So I recommend quitting the program after using it so that it isn’t fooling around “under the hood“. If it’s in your sidebar, you can always restart it when you need it.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

toodamnhip wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:46 pmI’m liking the program thus far, however, it is a very “active“ program, and it seems to act on its own a lot based off o recent apps quit etc.
Hey Brother Hipster,

Some of your concerns can be addressed via the Preferences. Top-right corner, there's a pref symbol. Click it and you'll see a bunch of options:

Checkboxes for:
Auto clean after a memory-hogging app is closed
Show notification of how much memory was freed from a hog
Auto clean when available memory drops below a certain definable threshold
Use Extreme Clean with auto clean feature

Slider for refresh interval
Window for an ignore list for exception from inactive apps list and alerts

syntonica

Post by syntonica »

dewdman42 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:32 pm Yea even the purge command is not really necessary macOS does all that automatically. But hey whatever helps you sleep at night
I've noticed that the RAM is not returned immediately when just closing out say, Safari. Safari runs several processes and they don't all shut down immediately. It can take a minute or two for all of the RAM to be released. It's annoying, I know.

As a side note, I always have MenuMeters installed and running:
https://github.com/yujitach/MenuMeters
It lets me keep a direct eye on CPU and memory resources when I start to do anything hairy.