So long, and thanks for all the fish

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

So long, and thanks for all the fish

Post by Gravity Jim »

It's been a terrific adventure with MOTU over the past 25 years, but my time has come to retire.

I've closed Gravity Music, shut down the website, sold off most of my studio gear, and am done with music.

Thanks, James, and the regulars for all the help you have provided over the decades.

See ya on the other side....
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish

Post by mikehalloran »

Happy Trails, Jim!

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

Hi Gravity Jim

I've appreciated your views over the years very much.... I remember you seriously spitting the dummy once and departing our DP tribe ...but I was so pleased when you came back... really! ... Thanks so much for your many honest perspectives

I do hope you are in a happy place...

All respect and the best to you Sir
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.31, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards (not using much because I looove >), Softube Console 1 MkIII & Fader Control
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks for your sage advice and input over the years. Best wishes for whatever's next!
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Gee Jim, whilst I'm happy for you, I'm having difficulty imagining how you'll manage without at least some sort of dabbling in music experimentation.

Not worth keeping a cheap bare-bones setup just for foolin' around when inspiration strikes?

Thank you for everything you've contributed over the years BTW, brother. All the best! :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Best wishes Jim; I can see giving up the business, but not the music. Hope it will continue to enhance your life.
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Best wishes mate!
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Wishing you the best Jim! Right there with ya, but cant figure out how to actually not work. Tis so ingrained in my being after 54 years of slugging it out each week. You GO BOY !!! :D
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

May your journey ahead be onward and upward.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Congrats, Jim. It's been fun sharing some musical and tech adventures with you here.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Hey Jim...
I'm sad to see you go.
You always had a unique twist on topics.
With your talent, I can't imagine that you will stop making music.
I heard some of your stuff and it was great.
You gotta do what you gotta do, but I hope you will keep making music in some form.
Wishing you bliss in your new adventures!
All is well