Can’t get recorded eDrum tracks loud enough in DP

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
kgdrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can’t get recorded eDrum tracks loud enough in DP

Post by kgdrum »

Hi All
After a long break I’ve been trying to play and record music again using a setup that worked for me previously.
I play an eDrum kit and I recently replaced my Vdrum kit with a Mimic Pro. It sounds great and I have absolutely no problems with it while I’m playing.
When I’m recording I hear the eDrums loud and clear ,whenever I playback the tracks in DP they are barely audible,even if I mute other tracks. I’m using a RME UCX everything is routed correctly.
I think the volume problem is probably some kind of bad setting or preference in DP that I’m just not figuring out.
The other night It finally occurred to me to try firing up a track in Logic Pro even though I really don’t know how to use it (about 1 or 2 hours of total use).
Playing back the same recorded channels (5-6) is plenty loud when I’m using Logic but not DP. (So in my simple mind this confirms it’s a setting or preference in DP) is this correct?
I layed down a few tracks and the Mimic Pro sound levels are OK. So what could I be overlooking that could cause an issue like this with DP? a preference? a setting? a filter?
Strange stuff,I’ve never encountered anything like this.
I’m an imbecile with anything beyond the basics of DP at this point in time and I’m sure most of the users here know the in’s and outs DP better than my state of continued fumbling.
Otherwise everything else is working well with DP, I’ve been using both DP9.52 and more recently DP10 without any issues until I started using the eDrums again on channel 5-6.
I use know,use and prefer DP but how do I use it if I can’t get these channels loud enough?
Does anyone have ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
KG
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
mikehalloran

Re: Can’t get recorded eDrum tracks loud enough in DP

Post by mikehalloran »

What is an eDrum kit? Do you have a link?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

mikehalloran wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:42 pm What is an eDrum kit? Do you have a link?
Hi Mike it’s a set of drum pads that are hooked up to a eDrum module in my case the Pearl Mimic Pro.

https://pearldrum.com/products/electron ... pro-module

Previously I used the same setup with a Roland Vdrum module that became unusable.Essentially it’s like I’m using an external synth module and running MIDI and analog out of the module into DP. Instead of triggering the synth with a keyboard controller hooked up to the module I hit drum pads to trigger the drum samples.
Thanks
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Recorded track level is simply a function of input level while recording. Are you looking at your input level meter? You should be averaging around -6db on input with loud peaks still under FullScale 0db. This is recording 101 stuff— gain staging. Is your module volume all the way up? Check the audio I/O input level on your drum channels- somewhere between the 2 is your answer!
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Brother KG,

Is it possible you're triggering the module via MIDI during playback, IOW, playing MIDI instead of audio? If so, the CC #07 parameter is likely way-down.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Hi Thanks all for the input and feedback.
@Greg328 and @MonkeyMan
CC7 is at 127 and yes I’m familiar with gain-staging, again the same rig plays back the tracks at acceptable volume levels using Logic but using DP with the same exact setup is too soft with CC7 at 127 and gain-staging consciously being looked at and addressed.
So I’m trying to figure out if there’s a setting or preference thatI might have been set incorrectly that would cause this to happen only when using DP.
Thanks
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

Are the audio files being recorded at an acceptable level, but playing back too softly? Are you recording at all, or just using playthrough?

If you have RME TotalMix open, what are the faders/levels like there?
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

sockmonkey wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:25 am Are the audio files being recorded at an acceptable level, but playing back too softly? Are you recording at all, or just using playthrough?

If you have RME TotalMix open, what are the faders/levels like there?

Hi YES music is being recorded and the levels for the Mimic Pro in TotalMix are maxed. I went over this with Jeff from SynthAxe/RME the levels and routing with the UCX & TotalMix are correct.
I went over the MIMIC Pro settings with Pearl tech support,they are correct.
When I record using Logic with this rig I can get appropriate drum levels but using DP even if it sounds exactly the same while it i’m playing and recording. Something I might have inadvertently set incorrectly seems to be reducing the level recording and the levels that seem OK while playing and recording are totally buried when I play back the recorded tracks even if I mute most of the tracks and mix the other tracks down.
This is probably something I’m doing wrong or inadvertently set incorrectly but I’m not figuring out what it is.
Any ideas ,suggestions or drummer jokes are all appreciated! :banghead:

Thanks
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

This will be hard/impossible to troubleshoot without some screenshots of (at least) your mixing console in DP. Maybe your TotalMix screen as well.
greg328

Post by greg328 »

So the playback levels on the recorded tracks- do you have a written volume automation point drawn in at bar 1? Sometimes I have to physically draw a volume automation point in the first bar of an audio track to get it to sound off. Try a -1 or 0 value.
Greg

DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Oh and another thing—DP 10, and maybe 11 as well, has a weird bug that requires a quit/re-open sometimes; Occasionally I lose input when I select a new audio track and assign a physical audio input from my I/O. A quick quit/re-open seems to solve it though.

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Look for Trim channel inserts just in case one or more of them has been dialled-back.

Also, is it possible the level's due to phase cancellation with another signal path of the same material?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

also check the master fader
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32