Simple Audio Waveform Player

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Simple Audio Waveform Player

Post by Prime Mover »

Hey all, I'm looking for a very FAST (to open and use quickly), simple audio player with a waveform readout and sample-accurate timecode display. Another nice feature would be the ability to make markers with notes, and copy them to text (though this is isn't as important). My company needs to evaluate many sounds very quickly to be able to spot check them for revisions. We traditionally used QuickTime, but the time display rounds to nearest second and isn't accurate, it also doesn't show the waveform, and has no possibility of marking points.

This isn't a job for DP. It needs to be able to open raw WAV files in seconds, and be simple enough for non-DAW-using employees. Money isn't an object, could be anywhere from FREE to $300 if it's exactly right for our needs. It could be a destructive editor. I've considered Audacity, but I really HATE it's interface and find it very cumbersome.

Any ideas?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
mikehalloran

Re: Simple Audio Waveform Player

Post by mikehalloran »

I use TwistedWave. If there's time code info in the audio file, it will display it — not sure if that's what you are looking for. Otherwise, blazing fast, can convert almost anything to anything else, batch processing… regular updates. It even has ZTX for pitch shift and stretch where you can specify the results for both (MOTU, you listening?) Mac only. $99, 30-day demo.
https://twistedwave.com/mac

Here's the User Manual. Note that it knows time code and not timecode when you search.
https://twistedwave.com/doc/index
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BobK

Post by BobK »

Do you know about Snapper from Audio Ease? I don’t think you can add markers, but you can quickly audition files by simply clicking on them in the Finder - no need to open or import them into the program. Snapper can change the playback speed (with or without pitch change), convert the format, export a selection, spot to the cursor in Pro Tools, and much more.

https://www.audioease.com/snapper/
Last edited by BobK on Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Snapper looks nice and it has a 100 day demo. If I wasn't really happy TwistedWave, I'd be checking it out.

DSP-Q can probably do what you want. Although I own a copy, I wouldn't be considering it for this use. Not certain it meets this requirement like TW and Snapper:
It needs to be able to open raw WAV files in seconds, and be simple enough for non-DAW-using employees.
Otherwise, I'll be curious to see what works for you.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Twisted Wave is the answer! Actually, one of our contract employees had already mentioned Snapper before, and I tried it out yesterday. Snapper can ADD markers, but they can't be saved or exported (weird), I reached out to AudioEase and it doesn't seem to be a feature they plan on adding in the future. I think it's just for momentary editing, so you can create selections while you work, but they can't be saved with the file or exported. It's too bad, Snapper is AWESOME otherwise, I may get it anyways, just for it's easy Finder integration.

However... Twisted Wave is EXACTLY what we're looking for! It's fast, the interface is intuitive and snappy. And it can add markers and export them to a number of file formats. I think CSV will do nicely for our needs when opened in a text editor.

Thanks so much Mike for your suggestion. I think you really understood our needs and were able to point me in the right direction. I think we'll do it.

Another solution found, yay! Now only about 947 more!
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:56 am Snapper looks nice and it has a 100 day demo. If I wasn't really happy TwistedWave, I'd be checking it out.

DSP-Q can probably do what you want.
Snapper looks amazing. Looks like it really fills the gap between the Finder and DSP-Q, and makes a nice alternative to AudioFinder.

Have you tried out markers and regions in DSP-Q? It looked to me like the Markers are an internal thing saves with a project but not a file, and used for things like CD writes and other internal functions.

It seems to be able to create a region between markers, but I don't see the regions it is supposed to be creating showing up in other apps. I didn't pursue it for long, so I might be missing something.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Just an aside: isn't AudioEase a curious outfit? They also sell Barbabatch. I recall this as a free shareware sound file conversion app, long superseded by any number of free apps, and any number of paid apps like DSP-Q. They sell it for $US 461.50.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Just as a test I tried DSP-Q to see if it fit our needs. My concern is it just feels too big and complex for a "quick and dirty" previewing player. I couldn't really find Marker commands, and TwistedWave has a fantastic Marker pane right there that does exactly what we need it to. I know DSP-Q is legendary and a fantastic editor, but probably its robustness is a weakness for my companies needs in this particular area. I've recommended we buy a bunch of licenses for TwistedWave.

That said, Snapper is FANTASTIC. I absolutely want to use it for general listening.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

frankf

Post by frankf »

bayswater wrote:Just an aside: isn't AudioEase a curious outfit? They also sell Barbabatch. I recall this as a free shareware sound file conversion app, long superseded by any number of free apps, and any number of paid apps like DSP-Q. They sell it for $US 461.50.
I’ve used Barabatch for many years with great success. It’s never been free IIRC. It batch coverts and is very fast. I used Snapper a lot but not recently. I want to check compatibility with latest Mac OS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

frankf wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:28 am I’ve used Barabatch for many years with great success. It’s never been free IIRC. It batch coverts and is very fast. I used Snapper a lot but not recently. I want to check compatibility with latest Mac OS.
IIRC, I had it for a while pre-OS X. Maybe it wasn't free then, but it wouldn't have been more than a few $s.
frankf

Post by frankf »

bayswater wrote:
frankf wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:28 am I’ve used Barabatch for many years with great success. It’s never been free IIRC. It batch coverts and is very fast. I used Snapper a lot but not recently. I want to check compatibility with latest Mac OS.
IIRC, I had it for a while pre-OS X. Maybe it wasn't free then, but it wouldn't have been more than a few $s.
I can’t remember you may be right, but I do remember when OSX was introduced, Barbabatch wouldn’t run until there was an update and the update took a, long time to surface. And it cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
BobK

Post by BobK »

Snapper is compatible with Big Sur.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

An inconvenience I noticed is that if Snapper is running and you press spacebar on a video file, Snapper plays the audio track, but appears to prevent OS X from previewing the video.
frankf

Post by frankf »

Thanks for your comments. Very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci