Can't get past scanning on DP11

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
sockmonkey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Can't get past scanning on DP11

Post by sockmonkey »

As long as we're being constructive, has anyone made a feature request to MOTU to take their plugin scanning out of process so that a crashing plugin can't crash the app? Seems like that's the main scanning issue at work here. Sure, MOTU doesn't pass every plugin that Logic does -- that's arguably a problem -- but it could gracefully fail in the worst case.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

sockmonkey wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:17 am As long as we're being constructive, has anyone made a feature request to MOTU to take their plugin scanning out of process so that a crashing plugin can't crash the app? Seems like that's the main scanning issue at work here. Sure, MOTU doesn't pass every plugin that Logic does -- that's arguably a problem -- but it could gracefully fail in the worst case.
A) That ain’t the problem

B) Feature requests are for the sweet bye-‘n-bye, not for immediate issues

C) The OP needs his problem solved now. Whatever it takes. We’re trying to understand it on our end and the “Logic and bla, bla, bla… “ along with “DP always bla, bla, bla…” which isn’t true for the rest of us is getting in his way, does not help. If I could read his Console Log and see his Activity Monitor in real time, I would know the real problem and the solution — but I can’t.

D) He is right that MOTU needs to step it up, too. They should request those reports.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

sockmonkey wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:17 am As long as we're being constructive, has anyone made a feature request to MOTU to take their plugin scanning out of process so that a crashing plugin can't crash the app? Seems like that's the main scanning issue at work here. Sure, MOTU doesn't pass every plugin that Logic does -- that's arguably a problem -- but it could gracefully fail in the worst case.
Yes that is definitely part of the problem. Apple moved their scanning out of process a while back and improved the situation a lot. But the problem is also the way DP is keeping an internal list of some kind and keeps attempting to rescan the thing that just crashed, and meanwhile provides inadequate reporting of what just happened. I will be trying the console trick later today maybe that will an ok work around.

I agree with you that DP fails more plugins then some other daws such as logicpro, but all the other daws fail some plugins too once in a while, DP is not alone in that, but it does seem to fail more then the others; but hard to prove that fact, but that ha generally been my experience for a long time.

But that is not the main problem here, the main problem is the horrible way DP is handling those failures. This is an area DP should be improved.

Kontakt vst3 doesn’t pass validation in DP11 by the way, among others
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I note that Logic doesn't work with VSTs of any ilk unless a wrapper is used. Which has me wondering (having not read this entire thread, apologies, and understanding that VST3 may offer some enhanced functionality) if you have tried using AU plugins. My personal experience with the gear referenced in my signature is no hassle AU validation in DP, at least as far back as I can remember.

Good luck getting it sorted!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

For me this time AU validation was more problematic, AU’s got stuck in endless crash loop, VST did not. Also AU’s don’t support MIDI out so generally having VST as the main format makes sense and then use the AU versions of stuff that either isn’t in VST or fails validation. But it could very well work out for someone else the opposite way around.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

CharlzS wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:00 am
dewdman42 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:55 pm I have tried using SHIFT to do safe mode...but that starts DP with audio disabled...and no plugins in the plugin manager, as soon as I enable audio, then it automatically tries to scan the same plugins again and crashes before I can skip.
Hold the Option key when starting to disable plugs or start in plug safe mode (MAS only). When DP comes up, create a new plugin set with VST and VST3 support disabled to see if one of those is the culprit.
Just for future reference, what is the precise difference between hiding down SHIFT and holding down OPTION while starting up? I was not able to find reference to either thing in the manual, its probably in there somewhere but I couldn't find it.
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

Shift starts with MIDI only, no audio engine so no plugs. Option starts audio and MIDI, but lets you select what plugin set you want to load (or not load).
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

cuttime wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:19 pm I really hate to hear this and wish I could offer a magic bullet. Does the Mac console give you a clue? If not, does the crash log go directly to MOTU? Have you tried the Disable Crash Reporter script? Is MOTU getting your crash reports?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61800&p=525976&hili ... pt#p525976

I haven't tried it on DP 11, but I know for a fact that it still worked on DP 10.xx
Good news! This ^^^^^^^^^^ completely solved the problem! When running DP11 with the --disable_crash_reporter option, All three scans of VST3, VST and AU ran to completion without any crashing at all. So not only did I see a bunch of debug logging on the terminal window, but it basically prevented DP from crashing itself. I can only surmise that something about the way DP is collecting information from plugins that it feels have "failed" is sometimes causing it to kill DP without any message rather then producing a crash report. But with this cmd line option, it runs completely to the end no crash at all.... Thanks @cuttime!

Some plugins did not pass validation, my NI AU's for some reason did not pass. But then when I reexamined them one at a time they passed. Only a few AU's would not pass that way in fact, basically the ones from AirWindows, which eh...never use em anyway.. Definitely it seems some plugins pass if you do them alone and don't pass if you do them as part of a larger list of plugins...even if you select like 5 of them in the plugin manager window....then some of them might pass, but in some rare cases, a few of them will pass if they are examined alone and not with any others. Can only speculate why that may be...

VST and VST3 also ran to completion without any crash, again, some plugins didn't pass and some of them passed when I ran them one at a time...but only a few...most of the VST3's that failed could not be made to work by examining them separately.

Here are some of the notable plugins that will not pass as of today:

AU: AirWindows
VST: AirWindows
VST3: Kontakt, fiedler audio stage, Z3TA, Waves Scheps Omni Channel, Waves Meta Filter, Waves CLA echospere, Bass Mint, TrackSpare, Torpedo Wall of Sound, TR5 Leslie, TR5 DeEsser, S-Gear, BlueCatAudio Patchwork, BlueCatAudio PlugNScript, OPX-Pro II, Some Melda stuff, Some Hornet stuff, Dexed, pretty much everything from U-He

But the good news is I have pretty much everything scanned, was easy to do when using this command line option to avoid the crashing problem of DP.

In fact I am just going to run DP all the time that way. I went back to regular mode and tried to scan one plugin where it promptly crashed DP...so running with this mode is important whenever scanning plugins IMHO. Some people may experience this problem while others don't, it could be simple as a permissions problem of some kind, really can't say. But I am up and running. Thanks cuttime!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

dewdman42 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:37 pm
cuttime wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:19 pm I really hate to hear this and wish I could offer a magic bullet. Does the Mac console give you a clue? If not, does the crash log go directly to MOTU? Have you tried the Disable Crash Reporter script? Is MOTU getting your crash reports?

I haven't tried it on DP 11, but I know for a fact that it still worked on DP 10.xx
Good news! This ^^^^^^^^^^ completely solved the problem! When running DP11 with the --disable_crash_reporter option, All three scans of VST3, VST and AU ran to completion without any crashing at all. So not only did I see a bunch of debug logging on the terminal window, but it basically prevented DP from crashing itself. I can only surmise that something about the way DP is collecting information from plugins that it feels have "failed" is sometimes causing it to kill DP without any message rather then producing a crash report. But with this cmd line option, it runs completely to the end no crash at all.... Thanks @cuttime!

Some plugins did not pass validation, my NI AU's for some reason did not pass. But then when I reexamined them one at a time they passed. Only a few AU's would not pass that way in fact, basically the ones from AirWindows, which eh...never use em anyway.. Definitely it seems some plugins pass if you do them alone and don't pass if you do them as part of a larger list of plugins...even if you select like 5 of them in the plugin manager window....then some of them might pass, but in some rare cases, a few of them will pass if they are examined alone and not with any others. Can only speculate why that may be...

VST and VST3 also ran to completion without any crash, again, some plugins didn't pass and some of them passed when I ran them one at a time...but only a few...most of the VST3's that failed could not be made to work by examining them separately.

VST3: Kontakt, fiedler audio stage, Z3TA, Waves Scheps Omni Channel, Waves Meta Filter, Waves CLA echospere, Bass Mint, TrackSpare, Torpedo Wall of Sound, TR5 Leslie, TR5 DeEsser, S-Gear, BlueCatAudio Patchwork, BlueCatAudio PlugNScript, OPX-Pro II, Some Melda stuff, Some Hornet stuff, Dexed, pretty much everything from U-He

But the good news is I have pretty much everything scanned, was easy to do when using this command line option to avoid the crashing problem of DP.

In fact I am just going to run DP all the time that way. I went back to regular mode and tried to scan one plugin where it promptly crashed DP...so running with this mode is important whenever scanning plugins IMHO. Some people may experience this problem while others don't, it could be simple as a permissions problem of some kind, really can't say. But I am up and running. Thanks cuttime!
I really hope MOTU gets wind of this. Their crash reporter needs work.
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I had this exact same problem after installing DP 11, except that it would crash, I'd restart DP and the AU validation appeared to start up wherever it had left off. It must be an NI thing, because it looked like it was hanging on Kontakt v6.5.3. I crashed maybe five or six times during this process, but it eventually scanned and passed all my plugs (even Kontakt). What it looked like to me was, it somehow required longer than usual to completely scan Kontakt, and without being able to spend the amount of time it needed, it crashed DP instead. And like I said, my solution was to just keep restarting DP -- in my case, it eventually did whatever it needed to do.

I should also add that I had upgraded from the last version of DP 10, and DP 11 appeared to only scan plugs that I hadn't scanned since my last DP update, so it wasn't all the plugins I owned. DP 10 was also still installed on my machine the first time I opened DP 11. A possible solution might be, have DP 10 and 11 installed simultaneously, scan your plugs in DP 10, then open DP 11 and see if DP 10's AU validation holds over.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Yea for whatever its worth, I had a similar experience when I first installed DP11, it didn't do a complete rescan I don't think it was running on leftover fumes and worked fine for a few days. For various reasons I decided to do an absolutely clean install of DP11 and that is when the problems came in.

But I just want to reiterate, the main problem seems to be the way the plugin scanning engine interacts with the crash reporter. Turn off the crash reporter, at least while doing the initial scan...and it kind of gets t through most of it.

Most of my VST and AU plugins scanned and seem to work so far. VST3 also quite a few seem to work but there are definitely a couple dozen that don't pass scan. I think DP could use some work in the VST3 area also in addition to the general plugin scanning process. But Really I'd say 75% of my VST3's did pass and seem to work, FWIW.
Luigypap
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Luigypap »

dewdman42 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:37 pm

hello !!

i pass the last 3 months loking for this !
but i could find how to do it at PC , y need the rout to paste for disable the crash reporter
can you help me please?
thanks !!