Mac mini M1?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mac mini M1?

Post by mikehalloran »

gavspen wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:02 am I asked MOTU about Rosetta and they said, "We do not support or expect any earlier version of DP to run on Big Sur or Rosetta." Not terribly surprising I guess, since they have no interest in testing such a configuration and wold like every one to buy DP11 anyway.

Anyone here tried that? If you've got Big Sur, would you? Haha. Not too much to ask, is it? :lol: :wink:
Many threads on this with DP 10 describing various efforts with varying levels of success. I made it work sorta’ kinda’ and then went back to Catalina and never gave it another thought.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:57 am
gavspen wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:02 am I asked MOTU about Rosetta and they said, "We do not support or expect any earlier version of DP to run on Big Sur or Rosetta." Not terribly surprising I guess, since they have no interest in testing such a configuration and wold like every one to buy DP11 anyway.

Anyone here tried that? If you've got Big Sur, would you? Haha. Not too much to ask, is it? :lol: :wink:
Many threads on this with DP 10 describing various efforts with varying levels of success. I made it work sorta’ kinda’ and then went back to Catalina and never gave it another thought.
I saw some stuff but it seemed mostly people with Big Sur on an Intel Mac. It's a mine field, ain't it? Maybe I'll just wait until Waves gets it together instead of trying to fix things with band aids. Oy.
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
gaucho2

Post by gaucho2 »

I am running DP 11 natively on Big Sur on a m1 Mac mini and it’s running beautifully. About 80 audio tracks.

My 828mk3 Is working and I’ve even got ip MIDI working on a network working.

Only plug-ins so far are omnisphere and stylus.
Last edited by gaucho2 on Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

There are lots of reports of using DP10 on Big Sur. So it might or might not work, but one thing to consider is that even if it works, it may not survive a OS update, and MOTU will not be making any updates to DP 10 if that happens.

I think the more useful type of compatability is the other way around -- DP 11 works fine as far back as OS X 10.13. Unless you have a machine that can't run anything before Big Sur, it's not apparent why you'd want to -- even the latest version of Logic doesn't need it. If you're stuck with Big Sure, there are some virtual machine apps that look like they will run earlier versions of OS X under Big Sur or windows. I saw an ad for Virtual Box today, and it looks like it will run anything on anything.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

gaucho2 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:21 am I am running DP 11 natively on Big Sur on a m1 Mac mini and it’s running beautifully. About 80 audio tracks.

My 828mk3 Is working and I’ve even got ip MIDI working on a network work.

What's ip MIDI, Gauch?

Yeah, plugins are the thing.
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

bayswater wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:23 am

There are lots of reports of using DP10 on Big Sur. So it might or might not work, but one thing to consider is that even if it works, it may not survive a OS update, and MOTU will not be making any updates to DP 10 if that happens.

I think the more useful type of compatability is the other way around -- DP 11 works fine as far back as OS X 10.13. Unless you have a machine that can't run anything before Big Sur, it's not apparent why you'd want to -- even the latest version of Logic doesn't need it. If you're stuck with Big Sure, there are some virtual machine apps that look like they will run earlier versions of OS X under Big Sur or windows. I saw an ad for Virtual Box today, and it looks like it will run anything on anything.
But there are two compatibility issues, Big Sur and M1. Yes, some people run DP 10 (I'm still using 8.07, by the way) on an Intel with Big Sur. I dont care if I run Big Sur or not, I'm fine with something older, but if I get a mini, most are suggesting go with the M1, which likely comes with Big Sur (new or used) and God knows how you go backwards. But it doesnt matter, since we have the M1 compatibility issue as well. My head hurts.
gaucho2

Post by gaucho2 »

gavspen wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:02 pm
gaucho2 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:21 am I am running DP 11 natively on Big Sur on a m1 Mac mini and it’s running beautifully. About 80 audio tracks.

My 828mk3 Is working and I’ve even got ip MIDI working on a network work.

What's ip MIDI, Gauch?

Yeah, plugins are the thing.
It’s a type of “MIDI over lan” that allows 16 ports of 16 channels to be sent to other computers on the network. I wasn’t sure if this was going to work with the new hardware and new software, but lo and behold, it’s still up and running!!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Pretty sure DP via Rosetta has been discussed here (in a positive sense) over the last few months. Search the posts, and you may well find gold!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

gavspen wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:07 pm if I get a mini, most are suggesting go with the M1, which likely comes with Big Sur (new or used) and God knows how you go backwards. But it doesnt matter, since we have the M1 compatibility issue as well. My head hurts.
Yes, if you get the newest Mini, it will run Big Sur and not earlier OS versions. There might be a way to use the above mentions VMs to run an earlier version if you want to, but if you have a stable set up, no need. The trick is to make sure you can always get back to that set up if you need to.
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

bayswater wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:58 pm
gavspen wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:07 pm if I get a mini, most are suggesting go with the M1, which likely comes with Big Sur (new or used) and God knows how you go backwards. But it doesnt matter, since we have the M1 compatibility issue as well. My head hurts.
Yes, if you get the newest Mini, it will run Big Sur and not earlier OS versions. There might be a way to use the above mentions VMs to run an earlier version if you want to, but if you have a stable set up, no need. The trick is to make sure you can always get back to that set up if you need to.
VMs? What's that?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

gavspen wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:21 pm
VMs? What's that?
Virtual machines. Like Parallels or Virtual Box
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

bayswater wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:38 pm
gavspen wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:21 pm
VMs? What's that?
Virtual machines. Like Parallels or Virtual Box
There's a world I want nothing to do with. :shock: An extra layer of complication I dont pretend to understand. :( Maybe I'll just wait till everything works with Big Sur.

Sigh.....