DP11 is here!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
smashprod
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP11 is here!

Post by smashprod »

Does that mean I could buy the Cubase version and use that?
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

philbrown wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:54 am This is a long shot, but I'll ask anyway, since I know several people felt the same way I did when the Loop function was removed. Have they brought that back by any chance?
As far as I can tell, no. I still need to do a thorough study of Clips to find a workflow I can live with. :?

the other Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

philbrown wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:54 am This is a long shot, but I'll ask anyway, since I know several people felt the same way I did when the Loop function was removed. Have they brought that back by any chance? It's code they already have and several of us old timers wrote to them about our displeasure at its removal.
I'm displeased about the removal of the previous looping function, as well. My rationale is that I can use the "Repeat..." edit function when I need it. But yea, I'm annoyed that they removed it. I suppose it must have conflicted with the new system, so they couldn't have them co-exist, but that's a guess.

The update price is ok with me, but at that cost, I only update every 4 - 6 years. I'm invested in MOTU's success in more ways than one, so exchanging some money for continued development/support has value to me. There are some known fixes and MIDI revisions that I'm looking forward to enjoying when I get up & running in 11.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

stubbsonic wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:43 am The update price is ok with me, but at that cost, I only update every 4 - 6 years.
I'm okay with it, too, but I just updated to DP10 about a year ago and updating to 11 now is a bit too soon. I can't drop $400 in one year just for DP updates.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

Anyone check out the track Transpose, Detune and Quantize check boxes in the Sequence Editor? Also, the Track Selector has pretty much become the view filter with all the added options.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

As someone that uses and likes Clip DAWs like Live and Bitwig, I don't have much of a problem with the new clip based looping function. IMO the absolute best solution is to set up an unpack and pack into Clips command that makes this all easy for you. It's one step more if you don't have the setting that makes any MIDI into Clips in DP, but the advantage is loops become real copies when you 'unpack' the Clip.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I did a full day of sessions yesterday, across multiple genres, using my Moog Voyager, MIDI VI's, and microphones, with heavy overdub track counts, and am finding DP11 more stable and seeing DP10 bugs fixed, but still a slow startup time -- the latter being an issue that started with late DP10 updates.

So far I have not had to quarantine any additional plug-ins. Not sure I've run through them all yet. I'm finding that the larger fonts (which are also sharper as well) dramatically speed up my work and reduce errors. That alone was worth the $200 upgrade.

I haven't touched upon the new features in any significant way yet, but have certainly run into interesting mods on older features and quickly found the new way to be better for overall workflow. I did so much DP work yesterday (almost 16 hours) that I can't at this point call out any details.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I'm the resident CLips user, so I'm in the process of switching to the Lauchpad Pro MK3 from Push2, the Mk3 is compatible with DP11, Push2 is not. Just messing around with CLips today there's already a few bugs squashed. One thing, the way they decided to implement some way to have a 'stop clips' feature is to propagate a track with empty clips, which is OK I guess, but it makes you realize right away that giving clips colors is now necessary otherwise it's a mess since they gave empty clips the name of the track. In other DAWs empty clip tracks just have the universal square stop button on them, which you can turn off independant of there being a clip in the track.

Anyway, I'm prepared tomorrow to explore this in detail when the MK3 arrives.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Nice to have the control over font size in the lists, but it doesn't seem to affect the column headers in windows like Chunks and Tracks. That's where I needed the bigger fonts most. Between this and the Scale function in DP 10, I suppose you can come to settings that work, but it would be great if MOTU just increase the size of the font in the column headers. It's been too small for most monitors for a very long time.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

bayswater wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:42 pm Nice to have the control over font size in the lists, but it doesn't seem to affect the column headers in windows like Chunks and Tracks. That's where I needed the bigger fonts most. Between this and the Scale function in DP 10, I suppose you can come to settings that work, but it would be great if MOTU just increase the size of the font in the column headers. It's been too small for most monitors for a very long time.
Agree.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Tritonemusic wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:32 am
stubbsonic wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:43 am The update price is ok with me, but at that cost, I only update every 4 - 6 years.
I'm okay with it, too, but I just updated to DP10 about a year ago and updating to 11 now is a bit too soon. I can't drop $400 in one year just for DP updates.
That's always going to be the case. You've got a recent version to enjoy and you can choose when you'll jump up a rung or two or three. I waited 3 versions to pay for an update (long story).

I believe MOTU does provide a little window for very recent purchasers of v10 to get v11 free. Perhaps they COULD say-- if you've bought an update in the last X months, we'll give you a half-price deal. OR at least, of MOTU just kept providing active development and bug fixes for the previous version-- that would take away some of the pain.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mgraham

Post by mgraham »

I would like to know how the new chunks playlists feature works - whether it is suitable as a replacement for the Song window for composing larger pieces out of smaller sequences. To do so (in my opinion) it would have to handle overlaps between chunks.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mgraham wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:49 am To do so (in my opinion) it would have to handle overlaps between chunks.
Hadn't thought about clips as a replacement for songs. As you say it would have to handle overlaps. Would also, for me at least, need to deal with overlapping parts that have a different tempo, something the song editor doesn't do.
dix

Post by dix »

bayswater wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:15 pm
mgraham wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:49 am To do so (in my opinion) it would have to handle overlaps between chunks.
Hadn't thought about clips as a replacement for songs. As you say it would have to handle overlaps. Would also, for me at least, need to deal with overlapping parts that have a different tempo, something the song editor doesn't do.
Do you mean Playlists a replacement for songs? Anyway....I was wondering the same. If not a replacement for Songs then what is Playlists? A live performance tool I guess?

I haven't been able to make a DP webinar for awhile. All the new 11 features will definitely motivate me to check them out again. Matt LaPoint is a really good and patient explainer of all things DP.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dix wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:31 pm Do you mean Playlists a replacement for songs? Anyway....I was wondering the same. If not a replacement for Songs then what is Playlists? A live performance tool I guess?
I need to learn more I suppose. I saw a video of someone using the Clips feature to cue up a live performance, but one of the things they did is set up DP to record the whole thing. So I could use that to create a song from components but would want to be able have different clips or chunks or whatever they are, to maintain their associated tempos when they overlap or play at the same time.