DP11 is here!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP11 is here!

Post by cuttime »

labman wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:41 am Is there a nice list of fixes and 'improvements on the installer as usual? If so, can someone please post it.
Not this time as far as i can tell. Only new features and improvements
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

bralston wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:28 pm My only issue thus far is that I opened my most recent (March 2021) DP10 template file from my last film (which I had to use the file>load command along with the chunk’s bundles selected, which also has a LOT of bussing and routing as well as extensive VEPro7 use)…and A LOT of my busing were miss-routed when DP11 finished loading the chunk. It is like DP11 selected random bus assignments from what they were in the DP 10 file and not the routings from the file or bundles. It took me about 4-5 hours to sort out and re-direct buses to be routed properly last night. There were a LOT of feedback loop errors from the way DP loaded the file. Once that was done and corrected, it looks like it is back to functional again for me. Today I have started loading in some expression/articulation maps from sample library developers. That so far has been smooth.

Next test is to see if they function as expected.
Brian, I was under the impression you use Windows. Was the experience you report above Windows or Mac?
(Presumably your signature is out of date -- MOTU reports OS 10.13 is the minimum required for DP 11.)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

cuttime wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:30 pm
labman wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:41 am Is there a nice list of fixes and 'improvements on the installer as usual? If so, can someone please post it.
thanks CT
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
dix

Post by dix »

labman wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:36 pm
cuttime wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:30 pm
thanks CT
At least one bug that showed up in 10 is still there: Dragging MIDI to adjacent tracks in the SE is still wacky - it still leaves a copy of the MIDI behind, and can't be constrained by Shift-dragging. I'd be curious if the VCA bug people (not me) were experiencing is still there.

On the plus side I can verify that installing 11 doesn't kill the Audio Export options in 10. Previous versions did this, making it a drag to retreat if you needed to.

I'm also seeing a bug in the new Track Selector View Filters: Deselecting Soundbites doesn't hide them as I think it's suppose too. Can anyone confirm?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

dix wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:02 pm At least one bug that showed up in 10 is still there: Dragging MIDI to adjacent tracks in the SE is still wacky - it still leaves a copy of the MIDI behind, and can't be constrained by Shift-dragging. I'd be curious if the VCA bug people (not me) were experiencing is still there.

On the plus side I can verify that installing 11 doesn't kill the Audio Export options in 10. Previous versions did this, making it a drag to retreat if you needed to.

I'm also seeing a bug in the new Track Selector View Filters: Deselecting Soundbites doesn't hide them as I think it's suppose too. Can anyone confirm?
I've never been able to confirm the VCA bug. Yes, the track selector view filter is strange, but it seems to work mostly as intended. I couldn't get it to show 'input monitored' tracks, but after a reboot it seems to work as intended. There seems to be an odd "select" vs. "deselect" feedback going on there, kind of like the rabbit hole you can fall down with track solos/muting. As far as the drag restraint between tracks, it still seems to work the same as DP10. I'm not sure I'd call this one a bug, as many workarounds have been mentioned here. It just seems MOTU is determined to force us to use clips.
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Kenny B
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Kenny B »

Just found out today that this "upgrade" is here. I am going to do it, but probably could live with the current version and skip this.

I'm just wondering (before I commit to this) whether or not they fixed the Bounce to Disk hangup or slowdowns that occur when doing a BTD. A BTD would pause, then start, then pause, etc. sometimes taking as long as a real time bounce would take. This was my one problem with DP 10 that I have had to suffer thru and wish it to be fixed.
2023 Apple Mac Mini Pro M2; 12 Core, 32 GB Unified RAM, Mac OS Venura 13.6.1, 1 TB SSD boot, DP ver. 11.3, Apogee Symphony II 8x8, Axiom 61 Controller, MachFive2, FabFilter plugins, ReLab VSRn24 reverb. Some really great acoustic guitars, Schoeps MK4s, Charter Oak E700 mic, 2 Great River preamps
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Whether this is a bug or not is difficult to say. When you edit automation curves, sometimes you end up with a right angled ramp with not automation points on the "corner" of the ramp, which makes no sense. This is happening less often than it did a few updates back, but it still happens. It's easier to fix than it was.

Not bugs, but I'm unable to see any of the improvements to Notation, Drum Editor, Waveform Editor, Song Editor, or Meter Bridge I've been hoping for. I guess these have been relegated to legacy status and left in for compatibility.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Whether there’s a list of bug fixes or not, I’m noticing that whatever incompatibility DP was having with plug ins here is better now. Odd bug, not a deal breaker but if I select add instrument with options when it instantiates the instrument it switches the window from Tracks to the Sequence Editor?
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

dix wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:46 pm
BobK wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:06 pm DP 11 didn't replace DP 10 for me.

In my Applications folder, DP 11 is listed as "Digital Performer.app" and DP 10 is "Digital Performer 10.app". (I thought in the past we had to manually re-name the old version, but in this case MOTU did it.)

Did a quick test just now and launched DP 10. It opened without issue. It did NOT ask for the Key Code (which I think happened sometimes in the past when opening older versions).
Veru cool! Are all export options still available back in DP10, can you please tell me?

Installing 10 killed all but the generic export options in DP9, making switching between the two a problem. There was a workaround that involved keeping two set of prefs - one set for each version - not really ideal, but doable.
For me, DP10 messed with DP 8 and 9 under the hood, showing in strange ways with individual plugs not working correctly;- for ex- no preview available for MIDI effect etc.

So, until MOTU says otherwise, it is still a possibility to me that DP 11 changes something under the hood that is used by DP 10, even if the "APP" is not altered. Just a heads up
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

FlikPat wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:13 pm They literally just stopped me from throwing up my hands and switching to Logic. The Icon Control Surface integration is the clincher for me. I'm on a 2013 Mac Pro that I upgraded with more RAM and bigger drive and while my new studio is being constructed, I was just going to keep everything in storage and hope that the new Mac Pros will be shipping with Apple Silicon chips my the time it's done. Now I'm tempted to keep a small workstation together and dig into DP11, knowing that when I do upgrade to a Silicon Mac Pro, DP11 will be an easy transition.

Would be great to know if their control surface upgrades mean there will be a usable iPad/iPhone remote app.
I used to have an Artist Mix, and DP 7-8-9-10 had the weirdest problem and I wonder if this is fixed now? The problem? If you took control of lets say a BOOST of an EQ, using Artist mix, you'd have to TOUCH that control with a mouse to allow DP to control it again from automation, otherwise, it would seemingly get "stucK', watching the artist mix. Its like there was a problem with TWO way communication between the control surface and DP> How about now?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

dazzjazz wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:00 am I’m sold as there is support for Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol!

Fantastic news. Can’t say I even know what an ‘articulation map’ is?!
I have the NI 88 keyboard.So what should I expect I can do now that I couldn't do before?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Waiting for Raven compatibility until I upgrade. Until then....

*** Has anyone tried very large sessions to check if DP is reading automation well? DP 9 and 10 read automation inconsistently for me, often requiring that I roll the whole tune from start to finish to get accurate automation reading. If I pre rolled into a chorus by 1 bar for example, each time the chorus would fail to accurately read all automation.

*** Has anyone tried to erase muted MIDI notes and gotten a crash? 10 would either crash when deleting muted notes when filtering to only see deleted notes, or, it would delete notes and add a new "muted" note. When you tried to delete that "new" note, DP would crash. Hopefully 11 fixed tat?

*** Has anyone tested automation to see if the weird faders traverse bug in ore gen mode still occurs? This is when you edit a fader and after you let go, it continues to travel up and down the fader length until resettling. Seemed related to next gen pre gen 2.
Could someone post a bug fix link? I have yet to find one.

Happy to see many of the improvements....if DP can reliably pre roll into sections without failing to read automation correctly, I will be happy. Waiting for Slate to update Raven for 11.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
bralston

Post by bralston »

bayswater wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:35 pm Brian, I was under the impression you use Windows. Was the experience you report above Windows or Mac?
(Presumably your signature is out of date -- MOTU reports OS 10.13 is the minimum required for DP 11.)
I have always been on a Mac with Digital Performer since Vs 2-something. I just updated my sig....yes it was out of date. Usually forget to keep that part updated, especially if I have not posted in a while. I am on a new MacPro now.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Hello everybody! Long time since I've been here (or anywhere online). Good to be back.

I've upgraded to the Windows version of DP11 and it still seems to be settling in, but I am getting pretty good CPU efficiency with heavy VI's in a multi-record setup using several keyboards at once here, so I am comfortable and happy.

One thing I did notice, as I dove in right away to test it out, was that (in Windows at least) the Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol mk2 keyboards as a control surface implementation seems to have been delivered broken - the buttons play notes and the keys make things jump around! So, something is not right yet with the drivers (and I have the latest KK installed and an S-49 mk2 with the most current firmware).

This is an exciting upgrade for me, and I am one of those who feels it is definitely worthy of a full integer release. The improvements to using the Clips, the articulation maps, the notation editor finally seeming to be "sane" and working directly with the articulation maps on playback, the re-sizable faders in the mixer, the chunks having folders and a split view as well as playlists for live performances, the larger list-text capabilities, retrospective audio now added to the formerly MIDI-only retrospective recording, and a bunch of other items make this an incredibly valuable update for me.

Plus, knowing how MOTU has been acting in the past, I am now in line to get those (most likely) groovy add-ons and updates in their upcoming point releases. Always nice things!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
bralston

Post by bralston »

terrybritton wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:31 pm Hello everybody! Long time since I've been here (or anywhere online). Good to be back.

I've upgraded to the Windows version of DP11 and it still seems to be settling in, but I am getting pretty good CPU efficiency with heavy VI's in a multi-record setup using several keyboards at once here, so I am comfortable and happy.

One thing I did notice, as I dove in right away to test it out, was that (in Windows at least) the Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol mk2 keyboards as a control surface implementation seems to have been delivered broken - the buttons play notes and the keys make things jump around! So, something is not right yet with the drivers (and I have the latest KK installed and an S-49 mk2 with the most current firmware).

This is an exciting upgrade for me, and I am one of those who feels it is definitely worthy of a full integer release. The improvements to using the Clips, the articulation maps, the notation editor finally seeming to be "sane" and working directly with the articulation maps on playback, the re-sizable faders in the mixer, the chunks having folders and a split view as well as playlists for live performances, the larger list-text capabilities, retrospective audio now added to the formerly MIDI-only retrospective recording, and a bunch of other items make this an incredibly valuable update for me.

Plus, knowing how MOTU has been acting in the past, I am now in line to get those (most likely) groovy add-ons and updates in their upcoming point releases. Always nice things!

Terry
Terry…go into the commands window and uncheck Master - Master at the very top if it is selected. See if that helps.

Mine was defaulted to checked and I never have mind checked.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13