Performer Lite - bounce to disk stalls

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
FrankD
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Performer Lite - bounce to disk stalls

Post by FrankD »

Was helping a new Motu user who bought an M2 with Performer Lite on Windows.

Except for losing track of the click track audio files, PL was working OK. We recorded a few tracks of overdubs on an existing stereo track. Made a few punches and edits, then tried to bounce a mono track to disk. No plugins were applied, only a few edits, fades and volume automation.

The BTD window came up, but there was no movement on the progress bar. After waiting a few minutes, PL was not responding so we quit and tried again. Finally, we realized that the bounce would work if we waited long enough (approx. 5 minutes for one mono track around 3 mins long...).

Has anyone else seen this, and possibly have a remedy?

Sorry, I did not note any details about his Dell system.
peace,
Frank Dickinson
90 East Productions
Our "lockdown" videos!
mikehalloran

Re: Performer Lite - bounce to disk stalls

Post by mikehalloran »

There are many possible causes and it may or may not be something that can be fixed.
Sorry, I did not note any details about his Dell system.
That might help.

Was PL installed in the default location? If not, try that and see what happens.

There is more than one way to BTD to Mono. Which way did you chose? Be precise. Was there any sample rate or conversion involved such as to mp3? If so, that will be noticeably slower because PL is both bouncing and converting which are not simultaneous processes.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

I didn't install Perf Lite, but I don't think he would know how to install it anywhere but the default location... ;-)

No conversions at all during BTD. Project format (44.1 - 24 bit WAV), not even 3.5 db attenuation. Plenty of HD space. The BTD window came up, file name typed, project format, add to sequence, click OK, then nothing for a long time... not even progress bar. I thought PL had frozen. Tried again and waited longer (clock tower chimes, calendar pages turn, seasons change from summer to winter and back...) then it finally bounced.

Thanks for any insight!
peace,
Frank Dickinson
90 East Productions
Our "lockdown" videos!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Stereo to Mono is a conversion. You have more than one way to do this. Which one did you select? Are you working in 44.1/24 or something else? Is your destination folder the default or another — if another, is it on the root drive or an external?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

44.1 - 24, mono track through stereo master, bounce to mono. No SR or format conversion, no plugins. File around 3 mins long. Destination internal drive, default location. Nothing different or unusual whatsoever. Only reason for bouncing rather than merging was to incorporate a small amount of volume automation.

I have a ton of experience with DP and BTD on Mac. This operation would take about 4 seconds on my system. :wink: It stalled for so long, progress bar did not even show up. I thought PL had frozen. Was mainly wondering if this was a common occurrence when working in Windows, and if Windows users know how to avoid.
peace,
Frank Dickinson
90 East Productions
Our "lockdown" videos!