The 5th Risk

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
wrathy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

The 5th Risk

Post by wrathy »

Composed, recorded, mixed and mastered in DP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t1G1Vhmzx8

Hope you enjoy.....
MAIN: MacPro 3GHz 8 core, 18G RAM, OS 10.6.8 DP 7.24, 2408 Mk III, 2408 mk II, MIDI Express XT, UAD-1, SLAVE: MacPro 3GHz 4 core, 10 G RAM. Libraries: VSL :SE/SE+, App Strings, Woodwinds, Sonic Implants Strings, EWQLSO (platinum) StormDrum II, Ministry of Rock, Motu MX 4, MACH V, NI Komplete 6, w/ plenty o' sample libs, Triton Rack, TX 81Z, Yamaha WX7, assorted woodwinds, drums, Yamaha P22 Piano
stubbsonic

Re: The 5th Risk

Post by stubbsonic »

Excellent music, gorgeous tones, brilliant performances.

At first, I was a little distracted by the unorthodox panning. It felt left leaning, not just because bass was over there, but because not much was happening on the right side for a little while. As the track progressed, it all came together. Your panning decisions were cool and creative, and I'm for it.

I've come to appreciate putting the bass on one side, even though in cans it can feel odd at first, it causes me to hear things in a new way. In speakers, bass to one side removes odd phase issues as you move around the room. The bass is big, natural and reliable, like the instrument is in the room.

Congrats. The 5th Risk paid off.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
wrathy

Post by wrathy »

Thanks for the feedback Jon.

I appreciate the notes regarding the panning. So may Blue Note records in my formative years likely informed my panning prefs. I don't use headphones enough when I mix, which is a mistake....

Again, thanks for taking the time to check it out!

stubbsonic wrote:Excellent music, gorgeous tones, brilliant performances.

At first, I was a little distracted by the unorthodox panning. It felt left leaning, not just because bass was over there, but because not much was happening on the right side for a little while. As the track progressed, it all came together. Your panning decisions were cool and creative, and I'm for it.

I've come to appreciate putting the bass on one side, even though in cans it can feel odd at first, it causes me to hear things in a new way. In speakers, bass to one side removes odd phase issues as you move around the room. The bass is big, natural and reliable, like the instrument is in the room.
MAIN: MacPro 3GHz 8 core, 18G RAM, OS 10.6.8 DP 7.24, 2408 Mk III, 2408 mk II, MIDI Express XT, UAD-1, SLAVE: MacPro 3GHz 4 core, 10 G RAM. Libraries: VSL :SE/SE+, App Strings, Woodwinds, Sonic Implants Strings, EWQLSO (platinum) StormDrum II, Ministry of Rock, Motu MX 4, MACH V, NI Komplete 6, w/ plenty o' sample libs, Triton Rack, TX 81Z, Yamaha WX7, assorted woodwinds, drums, Yamaha P22 Piano
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Nice! I enjoyed that.

Hard panning the bass and drums was common in the 1960s. It's one of the reasons why the mono and stereo versions of many albums often sounded so different back then.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Very nice. I headed off the iTunes to buy it, but couldn't see it there (or other usual places)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
wrathy

Post by wrathy »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:47 am Nice! I enjoyed that.

Hard panning the bass and drums was common in the 1960s. It's one of the reasons why the mono and stereo versions of many albums often sounded so different back then.
Thanks Mike!
wrathy

Post by wrathy »

bayswater wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:35 pm Very nice. I headed off the iTunes to buy it, but couldn't see it there (or other usual places)
thanks bayswater (and also `cause I'm a fellow Canuck!)

It's not on iTunes or anywhere else at the moment, it's going to be properly recorded in the Spring (or whenever travel is possible again!)

All of my other records are on iTunes though!
:)
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Wow. That was great. I wasn't expecting to hear this! At first it reminded me of Rosenwinkle. Then Dave Douglas. Then the voice came on and I thought of either Julia Dollison or Souza. Very nice writing.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
wrathy

Post by wrathy »

Henry Robinett wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:55 pm Wow. That was great. I wasn't expecting to hear this! At first it reminded me of Rosenwinkle. Then Dave Douglas. Then the voice came on and I thought of either Julia Dollison or Souza. Very nice writing.
Thanks Henry....
I played with Kurt a few times in NY, and I was in Luciana's band for awhile....
I definitely like Kurt's writing.

Much appreciated!
Jim

Post by Jim »

I like!
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA