A Case for My Weapon

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

A Case for My Weapon

Post by HCMarkus »

Recently picked up a Roland A-500 controller for use with my MainStage rig when doing out of town gigs. I like the action of the A-500, the controls suit my purposes nicely, and it is diminutive enough to qualify as a "small musical instrument" which airlines are required to allow as carry-on baggage. But what to carry it in? I looked at the soft-shell cases that are available. None, even the more expensive ones, provide much protection for the controller. Hardshell cases cost as much as I paid for the keyboard (bought it open box) and are considerably larger and heavier than the instrument itself.

Googling around, I stumbled onto gun cases. Well, how about that? The little Roland fits nicely into Plano's 36" "Tactical Series" gun case and the price is $60, less than many soft shell keyboard cases. I cut the Plano's bottom foam around the A-500 body and left the top foam intact. The case closes tightly around my "weapon" and, once all the latches are snapped closed, the package is pretty darn secure. And it's all considerably smaller than any normal-sized electric or acoustic guitar case. Since the bottom of the keyboard has no projecting controls, I am comfortable with it resting directly on the inside bottom of the rigid plastic case. All the buttons and knobs on top are nestled in foam, protected from impact by the case lid. And the whole shebang is incredibly lightweight.

We'll see how the TSA folks respond, but I'll be sure to carry a copy of this with me: https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... 20rule.pdf