MIDI crashes and hiccups

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI crashes and hiccups

Post by wonder »

In record mode (on MIDI tracks), after a few seconds of recording, all MIDI messages will stop being received by DP ... I'll let the project continue and after a second or two, I'll see the CPU meters spike and all the notes I was trying to play during the MIDI freeze will sound and then everything will be back to normal.

It's as if there's a hiccup in the MIDI and it's storing the MIDI messages somewhere and then after the hiccup, it's attempting to catch back up with itself.

Anyone experience this?

I don't know how to diagnose the issue.

Any suggestions?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: MIDI crashes and hiccups

Post by waterstrum »

We need more info to diagnose this one.
Looks like you are a long time DP user.
Have you recently updated your system or version of DP?
Are you still running Yosemite on a 3,1?
Give us some specs to help with the problem solving.
All is well
wonder

Post by wonder »

waterstrum wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:42 am We need more info to diagnose this one.
Looks like you are a long time DP user.
Have you recently updated your system or version of DP?
Are you still running Yosemite on a 3,1?
Give us some specs to help with the problem solving.

Thanks so much for the reply!

After MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH contemplation and thought ... I've decided to jump ship to a different DAW. DP's is so awesome but gosh-darnnit I've just had so many freezes and hangs and bugs that this other DAW just seemed more logical. I'm still in my trial period so, who knows, I may come back .. and I'm sure I'll use DP for its film scoring features when those gigs come in ... but for whatever reason, I'm able to get a much more convenient and quicker and less-hanging workflow with the new DAW.

I've been loyal for almost 2 decades ... but I just need a dang SOLO button in the Sequence Window!!! :lol:

I'm gonna finish out all my current projects in DP and any new ones I'm gonna use the new DAW and see how it does for me!
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Excellent!
Logic is great.
I use it too.
For me, DP fits my style and workflow a little better.
I'm not experiencing the issues that you mention.
No freezes or hangs.

Just for the record, in case folks come upon this thread...
What version of DP were you running?
Are you running Yosemite on a 3,1 Mac as in your signature?
Is the latest version of Logic running well on that system?

Thanks!
All is well
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

waterstrum wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:50 amIs the latest version of Logic running well on that system
The latest version of Logic needs Catalina
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
wonder

Post by wonder »

waterstrum wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:50 am Excellent!
Logic is great.
I use it too.
For me, DP fits my style and workflow a little better.
I'm not experiencing the issues that you mention.
No freezes or hangs.

Just for the record, in case folks come upon this thread...
What version of DP were you running?
Are you running Yosemite on a 3,1 Mac as in your signature?
Is the latest version of Logic running well on that system?

Thanks!

So after a LOT of trying and failing ... I honestly think it may have come down to a USB cable. I tried 3 or 4 different cables until finally, I grabbed the shortest cable I could find and haven't had any issues since. I've been using the exact same USB cable without ANY issues for years without issue so I'm a little baffled as to why it would just give me so many issues ... AND I'm a little confused as to why the other USB cables gave me hassle as well. Perhaps it had to do with the length of cable?

Who knows.

At any rate ... I purchased Logic and am going back and forth with DP and Logic depending upon the session. Both have pros/cons ... at the very least, I'm getting proficient in Logic.

I'm running the latest version of DP.

I can't install the latest version of Logic because my Mac Pro is a 2008 model ... I think I'm on 10.3?

I purchased an M1 Mac Mini and just installed the latest version of Logic Pro on that as well ... that one is running Big Sur ... and that computer is FFFAAASSSTT.

Back to my 2008 Mac Pro ... I have the exact same session in DP and in Logic ... same tracks, VI count, FX, plugs, etc, etc ... and without a doubt, Logic is by far superior in performance. I'm not speaking about workflow, UI, etc ... I'm speaking strictly in regards to computer performance. So, that alone allows me to work faster as the DAW is much more responsive.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

wonder wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:25 pm I have the exact same session in DP and in Logic ... same tracks, VI count, FX, plugs, etc, etc ... and without a doubt, Logic is by far superior in performance. I'm not speaking about workflow, UI, etc ... I'm speaking strictly in regards to computer performance.
I found the same thing using earlier versions of Logic, DP and OSX on a old iMac i7. CPU ran about 50% lower on Logic. But with current versions on a 2018 Mini, the difference between DP and Logic is marginal. Maybe 2 or 3 percent.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I did the same thing... spent a year cursing and spitting at DP9, and finally just moved over to Logic for a year. When DP10 came out, my mysterious and unsolvable problems went away, and I prefer DP, so I came back.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]