dumb consolidated window

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dpdan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

dumb consolidated window

Post by dpdan »

I hate that Consolidated Window I use key commands, (shortcuts) Here is a message I just sent to MOTU. Does anyone here have the same problem?...

I have been a DP user since OS9, and I am very aware that MOTU is not yet supporting Apple's Mac M1 and Big Sur however, this question goes all the way back to when the "Consoldiated Window" was part of DP so the M1 is not at fault here. I know a ton of people really like the Consolidated Window, and those people never created their own custom shortcuts (commands). Jay Oliver is my friend who told me all about shortcuts (commands) about 22 years ago, but forgive me please, I just can not stand the Consolidated Window. I have it turned OFF, "Pop OUT of Consolidated Window" and just to make sure I never have to see that thing, I have no options selected under Consolidated Window in preferences either. Every single time I open a project as soon as I hit "shift T to open the tracks overview window, that Consolidated Window POPS open, I have to close it and then reopen the TO window. WHAT IN THE WORLD DO I HAVE TO DO TO NEVER SEE THAT THING? I have finally stopped and took the time to send a request about this incredibly annoying thing that has been going on for years. I can't be the only one who wants it to go away. With all due respect to those who DO like it, that's great for them, but imagine if the tracks window popped open every time a Consolidated Window user hit Shift B to open the soundbites window UGH,, anyway... Thank you in advance :)
Dan Worley

Re: dumb consolidated window

Post by Dan Worley »

I dislike CWs too. We could start a club. The Dans who hate the consolidated windows club.

But when I create a new project, whether from my saved temples or DP's default "New" (which I just tried because of your post), I don't get CWs, I get single windows, so I don't know why that isn't happening for you. But I think I remember going through that same frustration for awhile. Unfortunately I don't know how I changed it, or if DP fixed itself.

Edit: Turns out the "New" I selected was also a template I saved, I just always use other ones so I forgot I made it.

On another note: There used to be a way of getting rid of the tabs on top of each window (wasted space if you're not use=ing CWs), but the ability to do that went away awhile ago, or I just forgot how to do it. I think right-clicking on the triangle, or doing something like that, used to get rid of them.
Last edited by Dan Worley on Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
DP10.13
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

When you save your template with no CWs, did you click on "Use as Default New Template"?
DP10.13
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Search SHIFT-T in your key-commands list, Brother Dan.

Sounds to me like it's doing double duty. Might've inadvertently been assigned to open the CW years ago and it's been sitting there in your list ever since.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Even though I have everything unchecked in preferences under "Open in Consolidated Window" and every template I've ever created has CW off, I still will occasionally have to pop out. This has been annoying for years. :banghead:
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Can't stand the consolidated window. Fortunately, I almost never have to see it in v9.52. It's nice we have the option to keep it hidden.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I'm fine with the CW, but sometimes don't use it, and even if I do, some windows are not included.

Like Jon, but using DP 10.13, if I turn off the options that make a CW, I never see one.

I don't think there is a way to get rid of the space taken up by the window name, and it will get used anyway for the sequence drop down menu and window specific settings.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I don't mind the Consolidated window at all, but I don't like one "feature" of it that I'm sure has to be universally annoying. If you accidentally or intentionally switch to a window you have selected to not pop up in the CW in the tabs, it then always pops up in the CW.

Beyond that I hate overlapping windows, I've got two monitors here, one has the CW and the other has whatever edit window I'm working in on it or open plug in interfaces.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

I find it really can complicate things. I do like the idea but it seems to take over. It has a mind of its own. Even when I think its disabled it rears its ugly head ! :D
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I think it's interesting how much heat it takes by some though. I actually like and use the side windows in it a lot for the various sub windows that "float" (MOTU unlike a few other DAWs does not have a way to lock it's pop up windows to float above the main windows), like the Event List, Markers, etc. etc. The Channel strip set up on the left is super useful to me.

Mostly it would be great if windows didn't automagically decide to stay popped into the CS when you put them in the CS for any reason, and if the tabs were hide able.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

I've been trying to warm up to it, since upgrading from DP 7.24 to DP 10. I can get by, but it feels too claustrophobic for me. I just tried re-configuring a project from Consolidated to separate windows, and I think I'm going back to the old way. Feels more like home to me. Glad I saw this thread.

Honestly, I thought I was the only DP person left who's not using Consolidated windows.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
dpdan

Post by dpdan »

lots of good discussion here thanks everybody!
Monkey, you had a great idea that maybe I had inadvertently assigned Shift T to open the CW but I checked and it isn't, but that sure was a good thought.
To experiment some more, I just opened a project and used "shift T" to open the tracks window,
of course, it opened the CW. I looked at the "Window" tab in the Mac menu bar and "Pop Into Consolidated Window" was indeed an option.
I closed the CW and I won't see it anymore as long as this project is open, and even though the CW will no longer bother me, there is still the option to "Pop Into CW. If I close the project with or without saving, this annoying parade of shenanigans always happens the first time I use shift T. Ironically, DP behave properly until I close the project and reopen it. Who knows,,,

I sure wish Dave Roberts was still here.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

For years, I’ve created my templates using Save as new template. This preserves my window layout from the old project(s). I’ve not thought much about CW in years.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

dpdan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:13 amMonkey, you had a great idea that maybe I had inadvertently assigned Shift T to open the CW but I checked and it isn't, but that sure was a good thought.
Bummer. Had high hopes for that one, Dan. :wink:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

FWIW, Every time I open a new or existing project, it opens to the CW.
It has been this way for years on my setup.
On opening a project, I just close the CW and all of my saved windows are there.
One extra step, every time, but not a big deal.
All is well