VCA Group fader bug

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

VCA Group fader bug

Post by Dan Worley »

Maybe you all know about this already, but I'm not on here much so I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has been surprised by this frustrating bug with VCA groups.

I'm reporting this to MOTU.

I thought I did something wrong the first time this happened. But now, a few weeks later, it has happened again in a different project.

These are the steps.

- Select some tracks and create a VCA group
- Move the VCA fader down by (say) 2 dB
- Delete the VCA group and Retain the adjustment
- Save
- Close
- Open the project back up
- Some (not all) of the tracks gain back the 2dB
- Close without saving
- Open the project again
- Some of those tracks may gain yet another 2dB

It's a crap shoot at this point. Thankfully I thought to take a screenshot of the fader levels this time around.

Oh, I just noticed something. This seems to be happening on tracks with automation (not fader automation). In this case plugin bypass automation.

DP 10.13
Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 10.13.6
DP10.13
Phil O

Re: VCA Group fader bug

Post by Phil O »

Yeah, Dan. I've reported this to MOTU as well. There seem to be several modes of failure. Bottom line, VCA faders are broken. Here are some threads:

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... 26&t=66745

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=67392

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... 26&t=68375
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
dix

Post by dix »

This issue has been discussed at length. I thought the verdict was that this bug only affected tracks that did not have automation play-enabled on the individual tracks in the VCA group. I've never experienced this bug because I always keep automation play enabled on all my tracks...or so I thought anyway.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Phil O wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:40 am Yeah, Dan. I've reported this to MOTU as well. There seem to be several modes of failure. Bottom line, VCA faders are broken. Here are some threads:

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... 26&t=66745

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=67392

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... 26&t=68375
Ah, okay. Thank you for letting me know, Phil. I did a search before posting, but VCA was too vague of a term and it wouldn't search for it, so I gave up. Lol

I hope they get it fixed soon.
DP10.13
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

dix wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:12 pm This issue has been discussed at length. I thought the verdict was that this bug only affected tracks that did not have automation play-enabled on the individual tracks in the VCA group. I've never experienced this bug because I always keep automation play enabled on all my tracks...or so I thought anyway.
Yeah, I don't know. I think my other project had fader automation on many of the tracks and it still did it. That one was a real mess. I was not happy, but I thought I had done something stupid, which is certainly not out of the realm of possibility. :?

Thanks.
DP10.13
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Nope; I rarely use automation and I'm one of the ones who reported the original bugs.

I haven't checked them lately, as I haven't had time for music for eons now. Too much work.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
dix

Post by dix »

mhschmieder wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:23 pm Nope; I rarely use automation and I'm one of the ones who reported the original bugs.

I haven't checked them lately, as I haven't had time for music for eons now. Too much work.
"Nope" to what? Are you saying you experienced the VCA bug regardless of the tracks' Automation Play state? It was much later in the conversation after DP10 came out that someone posted this workaround.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

dix wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:12 pm I thought the verdict was that this bug only affected tracks that did not have automation play-enabled on the individual tracks in the VCA group. I've never experienced this bug because I always keep automation play enabled on all my tracks...or so I thought anyway.
Mhschmieder has reported earlier that he experienced problems when switching between mixes. I haven't tested this myself, but it would be interesting to know the details.

MH?

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Is this fixed in 11?

Thanks!
DP10.13
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

As far as I can tell, the problem still remains. :(

waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

I've been reluctant to use VCA groups because of the posts here.
Obviously, we all depend on reliable recall of our projects and mixes.
Has anybody figured this out?
All is well
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I haven't experimented with this for a while. Apparently the work-around is to be sure automation is turned on. I don't know if all the tracks in the group need it turned on or just the VCA fader or both.The little bit of testing (all associated tracks with automation on) I did with it seemed to work.This would explain why some people report VCAs working fine (they just happened to have automation enabled on those tracks). However, there are several problems associated with VCAs and I don't know if this work-around addresses all of them.

Here's another thought. What if the normal function of DP VCA groups REQUIRES automation to be turned on and MOTU just forgot to include that detail in the manual? :shock:

sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

Phil O wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:21 am Here's another thought. What if the normal function of DP VCA groups REQUIRES automation to be turned on and MOTU just forgot to include that detail in the manual? :shock:
Even if that were the case, is "undefined behavior" what anyone wants, if things aren't set up as the designer expects?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

sockmonkey wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:14 am
Phil O wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:21 am Here's another thought. What if the normal function of DP VCA groups REQUIRES automation to be turned on and MOTU just forgot to include that detail in the manual? :shock:
Even if that were the case, is "undefined behavior" what anyone wants, if things aren't set up as the designer expects?
You are correct sockmonky.

That said, if this is really all it takes to make VCAs functional in DP, it is a pretty simple workaround.

THAT said, ever since having a client mix get completely F'd up by weird VCA behavior, I've avoided this feature.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Thanks, guys.

After using Performer and Digital Performer since almost the beginning (I think I started using Performer on version 2 when I got my first paying job at a studio), I've now switched to Studio One 5 Professional. Thanks for the memories, MOTU. All the best to all who made DP possible through the years. It's been a pleasure, with a little bit of frustration here and there. ;)
DP10.13