Crashes after quitting.

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
raromatix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Crashes after quitting.

Post by raromatix »

Dear Motu fellows out there,
Lately a strange behavior occurred; after quitting some projects (NB not all projects) a crsahscreen appears reading ”The origin of this crash of this crash could not be determined.” Strange enough nothing harm was happening to those projects while exiting other projects using exactly the same plugins and virtual instruments no crash screen appears at all after quitting.
Mac Pro 2013 64 RAM macOS 15.10.7 DP 10.13
mikehalloran

Re: Crashes after quitting.

Post by mikehalloran »

That has happened to me off an on over the decades but I’ve not seen it in years. Sometimes it’s an old plug that needs to be updated. Other times, it can be one of those annoying gremlins …

Sometimes, booting DP in Safe mode clears things like this. Boot DP while holding the Shift key and start up any project. Plugins won’t load but that’s ok. Now quit and reboot. See if you still have a problem.

The other thing to try is to Rebuild Launch Services. Not only will reset start up and shut down for your Mac but also for each installed app. You should find that some of your apps boot more quickly after this is run including DP.

Reset Launch Services

1. Open Terminal and run these commands (copy and paste):
2. sudo /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -lint -r -f -v -dump -domain local -domain system -domain user -domain network
3. killall Dock
4. sudo mdutil -E /
5. Restart your Mac

There are some Macs where this doesn't work. For those, there's a different set for User Level but it's not as thorough. I can look it up if necessary.

You can’t hurt anything in either case; you’re restoring default settings.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Examigan
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Examigan »

Hey guys, this is actually for "Windows Troubleshooting/Criticism", and you were mentioning Macs in the last couple of posts. :)

Anyway this has happened to me many times (I use 10.13) and with no plugins loaded, such as synths or anything else.
I just had an audio file on a track and I had been experimenting with trying stretch certain parts of the audio between transients.

When I was done I just closed out of it on my PC and sometimes it will say it crashed.

It just happened again, here's what I did:

Start an Empty project.
Drop a 3-4 min MP3 file in to it...this time I didn't even tweek any settings.
Close out of DP10, it asks me if I want to delete the audio.
I click Delete (as I have it saved separately anyway) and then I get the crash message.

I tried it again with WAV files versus MP3 and it didn't crash 3 times in a row, but the MP3 file (I tried 3 different ones) seems to cause the crash, not sure why it would though.

I used the MOTU crash reporter to send the crash info.
raromatix

Post by raromatix »

Dear Mike!
Thank you for taking your time in order to help me, but even after taking measures the problem is still there. Strangely enough it only happens to occasional files, files that suddenly become ”infected” or corrupt - even after ”emptying” all the tracks our plugs in the project. It´s although still possible to work in the usual way even if the file is ”infected” - saving, exporting et.al. Other earlier versions (DP-files) in the same project using the same plugs did´t get that problem - strange? When i opened the ”corrupted” file in safe mode the crash screen didn’t appear at all. Maybe it’s related to macOS?
Anyway..thank You Mike! :-)
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

A good potential fix for troublesome project files is to LOAD them into a new project.