Pet Peave: Logic Pro's Help Docs

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Pet Peave: Logic Pro's Help Docs

Post by stubbsonic »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:57 am Again, it's vastly popular, and used by total noobs, who manage to figure it out.
The path from the now free GarageBand to Logic provides a pipeline for noobs to "get it" more quickly. Also, the IT that the noobs GET might just be that they can start quickly, and discover deeper features more incrementally. Whereas, a non-noob coming from any other DAW needs more pro features from the jump. Noobs are less likely to encounter something stupid and see it for the stupid that it is.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

stubbsonic wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:47 am The path from the now free GarageBand to Logic provides a pipeline for noobs to "get it" more quickly. Also, the IT that the noobs GET might just be that they can start quickly, and discover deeper features more incrementally. Whereas, a non-noob coming from any other DAW needs more pro features from the jump. Noobs are less likely to encounter something stupid and see it for the stupid that it is.
Yes, Logic is stupid, people that figure it out are indoctrinated.

I'm sure this line of thinking is making it much easier for you to figure it out.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:21 pm
stubbsonic wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:47 am The path from the now free GarageBand to Logic provides a pipeline for noobs to "get it" more quickly. Also, the IT that the noobs GET might just be that they can start quickly, and discover deeper features more incrementally. Whereas, a non-noob coming from any other DAW needs more pro features from the jump. Noobs are less likely to encounter something stupid and see it for the stupid that it is.

I'm sure this line of thinking is making it much easier for you to figure it out.
First, no need to put words in my mouth.

I'm more saying that Logic is a frustrating mixed bag. The elegance of some features sits in contrast with the stupidity of other features.

I never said people who figure it out are indoctrinated, you inferred that. I said noobs have a training path via GB, and noobs might not have the kinds of expectations that pros have.

But as for my "attitude determining my altitude"-- guilty as charged.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Michael Canavan

stubbsonic wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:34 pm
Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:21 pm

First, no need to put words in my mouth.

I'm more saying that Logic is a frustrating mixed bag. The elegance of some features sits in contrast with the stupidity of other features.

I never said people who figure it out are indoctrinated, you inferred that. I said noobs have a training path via GB, and noobs might not have the kinds of expectations that pros have.

But as for my "attitude determining my altitude"-- guilty as charged.
Definitely it's affecting your aptitude. You're basically getting in your own way.
There really isn't any part of Logic that isn't there for a reason. The user guide is fine. There are anomalies for sure, but that's the case with every manual. I didn't start off with Garageband when I switched to Logic 4.7, it was far more impenetrable back then and I got through it. I would even say without hesitation that certain areas of DP are noticeably slower even as a seasoned user compared to what it's like when you get the hang of navigating Logic. Google, the manual and the tips all work just fine any time I'm stuck in Logic.

In the end I use DP, but I prefer Logic over Cubase, Studio One, etc. etc. There are vast areas where it's features are better. Articulation mapping, MPE instrument hosting, included instruments, GUI speed, to a degree it's quantize features, without a doubt it's looping features, including it's version of Clips, it's integration with third party control surfaces including a Komplete Kontrol or Automap style mapping of your most used parameters to any controller universally.

Anyway it's obvious to me that you're approaching it from a standpoint that makes it vastly more difficult to learn it, which will affect your ability as a teacher. As a teacher you should be able to see the problem with this attitude towards the tools at your disposal.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Michael Canavan wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:38 am Anyway it's obvious to me that you're approaching it from a standpoint that makes it vastly more difficult to learn it, which will affect your ability as a teacher. As a teacher you should be able to see the problem with this attitude towards the tools at your disposal.
That's a fair point. I'll keep that in mind, going forward.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It wasn't until a couple days ago that I saw mention of the "advanced tools"-- once I set that, the markers showed up as did the normalize function.

Apple could have put in their help: "To access Normalize/Markers/etc. go to Preferences/Advanced Tools... and enable x, y, z.

Mine were all off by default. I will happily admit this is mostly "on me". But to my original point, searching the help never mentioned this.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Canavan

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:45 am It wasn't until a couple days ago that I saw mention of the "advanced toos"-- once I set that, the markers showed up as did the normalize function.

Apple could have put in their help: "To access Normalize/Markers/etc. go to Preferences/Advanced Tools... and enable x, y, z.

Mine were all off by default. I will happily admit this is mostly "on me". But to my original point, searching the help never mentioned this.
Yeah that’s legit, it’s on page 148, it should be in the Getting Started section at the beginning. Makes sense as far as you not seeing the two marker types. It was this sort of dumbing down of Logic that had me switching back to DP. To Logics credit it’s a lot more work to set up jumping to a specific marker in DP though, you either have to hit the Next or Previous Marker command multiple times or select it with a mouse and hit the command to jump to selection. As opposed to Logic where the keyboard shortcuts are numbers 1 to 0 etc.