MOTU 828 mk2 stops working randomly (Windows 10)

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Gine2g
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU 828 mk2 stops working randomly (Windows 10)

Post by Gine2g »

So my Motu 828 MK2 USB randomly stops working on my windows 10 pc. It occurred on multiple PCs now and is really annoying.

When I boot up the pc everything works fine. But after some time it just stops working. Sometimes it's after 10 minutes sometimes it doesn't happen for hours. It also not bound to any specific programm. I could watch a YouTube video and all of a sudden the video would stop playing and sound would be gone.

I tried reinstalling drivers etc. But as I said it happend on multiple PCs now.

Does anyone know a fix for that?
CharlzS

Re: MOTU 828 mk2 stops working randomly (Windows 10)

Post by CharlzS »

I've had the same problem on occasion. When it happens, there is a sample rate mismatch between what the 828mk2 shows on the front panel and Windows Sound settings. I run my system with both ASIO and Windows Sound always at 48k. Every so often the settings in Windows Sound change to 44.1k and I have no idea why. Then I get the no sound issue. If you're running other apps in the background that are attached to audio like Zoom or some other meeting/communications app, maybe look there. Next time it happens check the SR on the front panel vs Windows Sound playback settings.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Gine2g

Post by Gine2g »

Ah okay thanks. So I changed every device in windows sound to 48hz let's see if that helps. Now you said this still ain't a 100%proof method that it won't happen again?
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

It happens occasionally on a restart and I think that has something to do with updates. It never effects ASIO audio, only system sound. IIRC, I only had one time the SR changed in the background when viewing a YouTube video, but don't remember the circumstances. I use the Windows Media Player and when I have no audio there it has always been the SR mismatch issue.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1