MOTU 828 mk2 with Zoom software

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
carlraven@mac.com
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU 828 mk2 with Zoom software

Post by carlraven@mac.com »

Hi all,

I just bought a MOTU 828 mk2 (USB) and I'm using it on my windows 10 PC. I am a professional musician but now mainly teaching saxophone on Zoom.

All good with Reaper with record and playback. When I use it on Zoom the student plays and I hear it a semitone lower than they play. I figured it may be a clock thing, but when zoom is in action MOTU audio console doesn't open. The 44.1khz light is on.

I then reset the 828 in the lesson. The pitch difference then switched and she heard me a semitone lower. I've tried changing the clock to 48khz before opening Zoom. If I use the input mic from Zoom and the output from the laptop headphone jack the pitch is just fine.

I've also tried all possible zoom audio settings but nothing changes the pitch.

I used an Audient id14 till today and had no issues like this. I also have never heard of similar issues from collegues with other interfaces.

This is a really odd problem, but makes my MOTU rather useless on zoom. Any possible answers? Really hope someone can help!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU 828 mk2 with Zoom software

Post by mikehalloran »

Zoom prefers 48 kHz if feeding from a DAW or interface— as do many video CODECs

Zoom supports "computer audio" and "computer sound" but they mean different things.

Some of this info is old but I'd still start here.

Watch the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMu3C3cpVLg

It helps you navigate the 75 page free book.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qGqDh5 ... lY1_r/view

DAWs work at 48k only without using something like Soundflower or Loopback. This may have changed in recent updates.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro