Is there a way to mute one channel of a stereo soundbite?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is there a way to mute one channel of a stereo soundbite

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:Same here. GB is a quick free way to sketch out a track for a piano player. I use DSP-Q to extract mono files if needed, which is not that often. It lets you select one side of a stereo file in editor, then save or export.
Hadn't considered DSP-Q. Could probably use TwistedWave, too — have both. In a batch conversion, impossible to name the individual tracks, however.

In my case, I often need both sides as mono tracks. One player, Steve, records guitar in one mic and voice in another. His interface, like most of the others under $200 (including the M2/4), outputs the 2 channels hard R/L and that's how GB gets them — there's no way to control this. If he sets the pan pots hard R/L when bouncing in GB, then I get Voice on the R and Guitar on the right.

Selecting De-interleave/Tracks in BTD now gets me those two mono tracks that he can't give me any other way. When naming the bounce, I'll name it (song) Steve guitar voice. The two tracks will show up in the Bounces folder as (song) Steve guitar voice.R and (song) Steve guitar voice.L. I rename by deleting the part of the name that doesn't apply in each track along with .R .L.

Fast and easy.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:In my case, I often need both sides as mono tracks.
I sometimes do. In DSP-Q, you just have to do it in two steps. If I had to do this a lot, I'd find a simpler way, probably with a plugin that uses dual panners.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I own some of their plugs and downloaded this last year because it was free. Never looked at it before now, Might save some time...

Thanks!
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

HCMarkus wrote:As far as I can tell, and I've looked, GarageBand offers no way to export into a mono file. (If anyone can correct me on this, I'd love to know the method.) I'm getting remote stuff for GB users and it is always stereo files which I deal with one way or another.
I learned of a way... haven't tried it yet, but I've been told if you set the GarageBand export preference to iTunes, after setting iTunes Import Preference to ".wav (Custom) MONO", you'll get a mono wav file result. Looks like it will work. Not sure it's worth the time to change the iTunes import settings, especially since I use iTunes to create mp3s for client mix reviews and would thus have to fiddle with the iTunes import setting on a regular basis.

I've just been converting from Interleaved to Non-Interleaved in DP, dragging to the Desktop, then re-importing the two resulting files (or just one if the stereo file is just a two track mono file.) Not doing this often enough to worry about a faster way.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:As far as I can tell, and I've looked, GarageBand offers no way to export into a mono file. (If anyone can correct me on this, I'd love to know the method.) I'm getting remote stuff for GB users and it is always stereo files which I deal with one way or another.
I learned of a way... haven't tried it yet, but I've been told if you set the GarageBand export preference to iTunes, after setting iTunes Import Preference to ".wav (Custom) MONO", you'll get a mono wav file result. Looks like it will work. Not sure it's worth the time to change the iTunes import settings, especially since I use iTunes to create mp3s for client mix reviews and would thus have to fiddle with the iTunes import setting on a regular basis.

I've just been converting from Interleaved to Non-Interleaved in DP, dragging to the Desktop, then re-importing the two resulting files (or just one if the stereo file is just a two track mono file.) Not doing this often enough to worry about a faster way.
Yikes!

I have only two GB users left. One gives me stereo=the same mono x 2 so I leave those alone—her husband works for Apple if I ever get tired of those. The other is the guy who gives me Guitar.L and Vox.R — keeps promising he'll upgrade tp LPx and I wish he'd hurry up!
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

cuttime wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:49 pm Ran across this:

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... _solo.html
BX Solo is the bomb!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro