Upgrading interfaces ... opinions wanted

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Upgrading interfaces ... opinions wanted

Post by wonder »

I have a 2008 Mac Pro and I'm running (2) 2408's.

Eventually time will catch up with me and I'll upgrade my computer. I'm looking into interfaces that will get me at least into the world of recent tech.

I have my eye on:

Antelope Audio Orion 32+ - https://en.antelopeaudio.com/products/orion-32-gen-3/

MOTU 24Ai USB / AVB / iOS Interface

I would go with UAD but need more than 16 channels and when you start getting into 2 16x's, prices start to get UP there when compared to MOTU.

I also like the Antelope Orion because of the 32 channels.

Anyone have experience with these interfaces and/or suggestions?

In regards to outputs ... all ADAT outputs are fine as that's what I'm using currently.

I don't mix so I don't need all analog outs. I need a lot of inputs with the ability to get killer CUE mixes with onboard DSP/Effects. I'm using all outboard gear at the moment for adding verbs, compression, EQ to headphone mixes because the 2408's don't have FX available on them.

I LOVE the direct hardware play through because I NEVER have to worry about latency but with today's interfaces, the ability to add FX and keep latency little to none is what I need to start investing into.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
stubbsonic

Re: Upgrading interfaces ... opinions wanted

Post by stubbsonic »

You might also look at interfaces from RME. Their TotalMix FX (config software) is very flexible.

Can you use ADAT ins and a second device as an ADC?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Wonder, I have the original Orion 32 (actually had 2) and ran it as a back up playback system on the road. The chassis was anything but road worthy because the rack ears would snap off. Sonic wise, it sounded ok but I felt it could've been better. I decided to sell one and keep one for my studio. I ended up getting the Black Lion mod for it and it opened up the stereo field a bit, and I got to hear more depth in my mixes. The problem that I've experienced over the last couple of years is Antelopes drivers. They don't have much support for legacy units so getting it to work with Catalina is a crap shoot. It works, but I doubt once Big Sur is fully supported by most companies, my Orion probably won't have the proper drivers. At this point I use my Orion 32 as an interface for my analog outboard gear for hardware inserts. The latest version of the 32 seems promising but if it were me, I'd go with the 24 i/o - 24 a/o, or the Apollo 16. I use both and love how they sound. I don't have the 24 i/o, but I have the 24 a/o. If you have the ability to do use ADAT, you don't need the 24/i/o, you can use 24 channels of ADAT i/o on the 24 a/o and still have 24 channels of analog outs! The Apollo with the built in DSP is dope and you pretty much can't go wrong with that unit! I use the Black face Apollo 16 which is cool but the new 16X has 50% more power and supposedly better converters.

Lastly, the latest Orion 32+ needs to run on at least a 2012 Mac so it won't work with your machine.
Check this out: https://support.antelopeaudio.com/suppo ... ad-section

Hope this helps.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I've been very happy with my 828ES...not enough inputs for you (unless you expand via litepipe) but the flexibility is excellent, as is the sound. The Thunderbolt connectivity is a plus for the future, although I am running via USB now and it is working great.

I do favor an outboard Lexicon reverb unit for tracking monitor reverb though; not crazy about the built-in MOTU 'verb.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

I'd go with a couple of MOTU AVB interfaces. Like a 1248 and a 24Ai. Or maybe a 8pre-es and a 24Ai.

Martin
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
DP 10, MachFive, Electric Keys, 828es, MTP A/V USB
Mac Pro 2 x 3.33 GHz Six-Core, Mac OS X 10.14.6
wonder

Post by wonder »

stubbsonic wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:22 am You might also look at interfaces from RME. Their TotalMix FX (config software) is very flexible.

Can you use ADAT ins and a second device as an ADC?
At the moment, I use my 2408's as such
BANK A = ADAT
BANK B = ADAT
BANK C = ANALOG

I do have an Alesis HD24 I "can" use as my ADC.

I'll look into RME. I forgot about them as a contender.

A HUGE deciding factor is the ability to add FX to headphone cues. If the interface doesn't have on-board DSP, I won't do it. That's 80% of the reason for the upgrade.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
wonder

Post by wonder »

kwiz wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:46 pm Wonder, I have the original Orion 32 (actually had 2) and ran it as a back up playback system on the road. The chassis was anything but road worthy because the rack ears would snap off. Sonic wise, it sounded ok but I felt it could've been better. I decided to sell one and keep one for my studio. I ended up getting the Black Lion mod for it and it opened up the stereo field a bit, and I got to hear more depth in my mixes. The problem that I've experienced over the last couple of years is Antelopes drivers. They don't have much support for legacy units so getting it to work with Catalina is a crap shoot. It works, but I doubt once Big Sur is fully supported by most companies, my Orion probably won't have the proper drivers. At this point I use my Orion 32 as an interface for my analog outboard gear for hardware inserts. The latest version of the 32 seems promising but if it were me, I'd go with the 24 i/o - 24 a/o, or the Apollo 16. I use both and love how they sound. I don't have the 24 i/o, but I have the 24 a/o. If you have the ability to do use ADAT, you don't need the 24/i/o, you can use 24 channels of ADAT i/o on the 24 a/o and still have 24 channels of analog outs! The Apollo with the built in DSP is dope and you pretty much can't go wrong with that unit! I use the Black face Apollo 16 which is cool but the new 16X has 50% more power and supposedly better converters.

Lastly, the latest Orion 32+ needs to run on at least a 2012 Mac so it won't work with your machine.
Check this out: https://support.antelopeaudio.com/suppo ... ad-section

Hope this helps.
You're the third person I've heard from that have had major driver issues. I personally know 4 people with Antelope interfaces. 2 love them. 1 had major driver issues. 1 had two units that went bad and had to get replacements.
wonder

Post by wonder »

MartinBaird wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:20 pm I'd go with a couple of MOTU AVB interfaces. Like a 1248 and a 24Ai. Or maybe a 8pre-es and a 24Ai.

Martin
I was looking into the 24Ai.

I don't necessarily need pre's as I have enough outboard preamps.

I assume the 24Ai has on-board DSP for effects to feed the live inputs?
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Might want to check the offerings from Lynx as well.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

wonder wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:56 am
MartinBaird wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:20 pm I'd go with a couple of MOTU AVB interfaces. Like a 1248 and a 24Ai. Or maybe a 8pre-es and a 24Ai.

Martin
I was looking into the 24Ai.

I don't necessarily need pre's as I have enough outboard preamps.

I assume the 24Ai has on-board DSP for effects to feed the live inputs?

I suggested the 1248 and 8pre-es just trying to get you to 32 inputs. Maybe I misunderstood. I think the MOTU AVB interfaces are underrated or under appreciated and the variety of offerings very cool.

MB
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
DP 10, MachFive, Electric Keys, 828es, MTP A/V USB
Mac Pro 2 x 3.33 GHz Six-Core, Mac OS X 10.14.6
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

wonder wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:56 amI assume the 24Ai has on-board DSP for effects to feed the live inputs?
It does.Like the whole AVB lineup. https://motu.com/products/avb/24ai-24ao/mixing.html