constant crashing

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

kwiz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: constant crashing

Post by kwiz »

stubbsonic wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:53 pm It's possible you're typing too much and getting a character wrong.

Try typing just part of that file name. Find any file will give you all the results matching your string, even if incomplete.
Yeah, I thought that might be the case as well but even inputing only the partial name yielded no results.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Just to mention this for future readers, in Finder, visibility & system weren't in the search menus by default. I chose "Other..." then did a search for both "visibility" and later "System". When the search result came up, there's a check box on the right for "In Menu". Checking that made added it to the main list of options.

[EDIT] Setting visibility to "visible or invisible", and System files "are included, I tried to search .kext, invisible and system, and got 354 results in Finder. I set the modifiers before entering the text, not sure if that makes a difference.

I went to Find any File and searched .kext and got 483 results.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:22 am Just to mention this for future readers, in Finder, visibility & system weren't in the search menus by default. I chose "Other..." then did a search for both "visibility" and later "System". When the search result came up, there's a check box on the right for "In Menu". Checking that made added it to the main list of options.

Using that, I tried to search .kext, invisible and system, and got no results in Finder.

I used EasyFind for that reason. I've had the Finder search fail to find a file that is visible and sitting on the desktop, or even in the window I'm doing the search from, even if I cut and paste the file name from the Finder to the search window.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

bayswater wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:32 am
stubbsonic wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:22 am Just to mention this for future readers, in Finder, visibility & system weren't in the search menus by default. I chose "Other..." then did a search for both "visibility" and later "System". When the search result came up, there's a check box on the right for "In Menu". Checking that made added it to the main list of options.

Using that, I tried to search .kext, invisible and system, and got no results in Finder.

I used EasyFind for that reason. I've had the Finder search fail to find a file that is visible and sitting on the desktop, or even in the window I'm doing the search from, even if I cut and paste the file name from the Finder to the search window.

Got it! Thanks Bayswater. I won't be able to check again until tomorrow, but when I do, I'll report back.

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.

F. Douglas
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I think Mr Stubbs added all the value in that one.
dix

Post by dix »

Has it been established whether all DP projects crash, or just a specific one? ...maybe I missed it. I don't see this info in previous posts.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:53 pm It's possible you're typing too much and getting a character wrong.

Try typing just part of that file name. Find any file will give you all the results matching your string, even if incomplete.
Yes, type part, make sure that system and invisible files can be displayed. You may have to disable SIP to view and remove.

Turning Off Rootless System Integrity Protection in OS X El Capitan 10.11 +

1 Reboot the Mac and hold down Command + R keys simultaneously after you hear the startup chime, this will boot OS X into Recovery Mode
2 When the “OS X Utilities” screen appears, pull down the ‘Utilities’ menu at the top of the screen instead, and choose “Terminal”
3 Type the following command into the terminal then hit return:
4 csrutil disable; reboot

5 You’ll see a message saying that System Integrity Protection has been disabled and the Mac needs to restart for changes to take effect, and the Mac will then reboot itself automatically, just let it boot up as normal
You can also issue the command by itself without the automatic reboot like so:

csrutil disable

How to Re-Enable Rootless System Integrity Protection in OS X
Simply reboot the Mac again into Recovery Mode as directed above, but at the command line use the following syntax instead:

csrutil enable

Just as before, a reboot of the Mac is required for changes to take effect.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

bayswater wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:18 pm I think Mr Stubbs added all the value in that one.
You're right. :lol:
Thanks Stubbsonic!

F. Douglas
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

mikehalloran wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:03 pm

Yes, type part, make sure that system and invisible files can be displayed. You may have to disable SIP to view and remove.

Turning Off Rootless System Integrity Protection in OS X El Capitan 10.11 +

1 Reboot the Mac and hold down Command + R keys simultaneously after you hear the startup chime, this will boot OS X into Recovery Mode
2 When the “OS X Utilities” screen appears, pull down the ‘Utilities’ menu at the top of the screen instead, and choose “Terminal”
3 Type the following command into the terminal then hit return:
4 csrutil disable; reboot

5 You’ll see a message saying that System Integrity Protection has been disabled and the Mac needs to restart for changes to take effect, and the Mac will then reboot itself automatically, just let it boot up as normal
You can also issue the command by itself without the automatic reboot like so:

csrutil disable

How to Re-Enable Rootless System Integrity Protection in OS X
Simply reboot the Mac again into Recovery Mode as directed above, but at the command line use the following syntax instead:

csrutil enable

Just as before, a reboot of the Mac is required for changes to take effect.

Hey Mike, unfortunately, none of the suggestions worked.
Really not sure why, I followed all the instructions to the letter but I couldn’t get Easy Find, the Finder, and Find any file to find the file that you suggested I delete. Weird thing is, all of the aforementioned file finders will find anything else I input; invisible and otherwise.
Thanks again for everyone’s help but I’m throwing in the towel and erasing the drive and doing a fresh install on everything that I need. Thank God it’s not my main studio rig, I’d be in real trouble if that were the case.

F. Douglas
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

I know you guys are waist deep in stuff that I don’t understand but, I was having lots of random (no discernible pattern) hangs. On a hunch I disabled auto-save in DP prefs and have had very few issues since then. Just a thought...
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Kurt Cowling wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:04 am I know you guys are waist deep in stuff that I don’t understand but, I was having lots of random (no discernible pattern) hangs. On a hunch I disabled auto-save in DP prefs and have had very few issues since then. Just a thought...
Although it hasn't happened to me recently, I, too, suspect that Auto-Save may be a cause of crashes. It seems that, if one happens to take an action within DP at the exact moment the Auto Save is initiated, trouble can result.

But I still have it enabled, as it has saved my tucas too many times.
kwiz wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:05 amThanks again for everyone’s help but I’m throwing in the towel and erasing the drive and doing a fresh install on everything that I need. Thank God it’s not my main studio rig, I’d be in real trouble if that were the case.
Kwiz, so sorry you are gonna' have to start from scratch. Once you get it put back together, may I suggest you do what I have taken to doing: clone the working boot drive periodically and keep the clone as a backup. I started doing this after I encountered an issue with a low-level MOTU driver that required me to build a new boot drive from scratch to get my 828ES working properly. Now, whenever I add more than a couple of plug-ins or VIs to my system, I re-clone the boot drive to a spare SSD using SuperDuper. I may never need it, but if I do, I'll be very thankful to have it.

Good luck! :smash:
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Now that I have just gone through my "clean install of 2021" (seems like a good year for a fresh start) I am going to make a clone. My system seems clean as a whistle and is running very reliably.

I don't know what the down-sides are, if I was to ever use a clone (from Carbon Copy Cloner) as a basis for restoring a damaged boot drive. I suppose Time Machine is doing all of this, but for some reason, I have a harder time relating to how to use Time Machine in a "crisis".

Thanks, Kurt, for mentioning the auto-save thing. It's a good point. I'll definitely give that a try if I ever get into rough waters.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Kurt Cowling wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:04 am I know you guys are waist deep in stuff that I don’t understand but, I was having lots of random (no discernible pattern) hangs. On a hunch I disabled auto-save in DP prefs and have had very few issues since then. Just a thought...
I have it enabled and rarely notice it is happening. Is it possible the drive you save to has gone into some sort of sleep mode, and it's taking time for the save process to wake it up?
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

HCMarkus wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:21 am
Although it hasn't happened to me recently, I, too, suspect that Auto-Save may be a cause of crashes. It seems that, if one happens to take an action within DP at the exact moment the Auto Save is initiated, trouble can result.

But I still have it enabled, as it has saved my tucas too many times.
kwiz wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:05 amThanks again for everyone’s help but I’m throwing in the towel and erasing the drive and doing a fresh install on everything that I need. Thank God it’s not my main studio rig, I’d be in real trouble if that were the case.
Kwiz, so sorry you are gonna' have to start from scratch. Once you get it put back together, may I suggest you do what I have taken to doing: clone the working boot drive periodically and keep the clone as a backup. I started doing this after I encountered an issue with a low-level MOTU driver that required me to build a new boot drive from scratch to get my 828ES working properly. Now, whenever I add more than a couple of plug-ins or VIs to my system, I re-clone the boot drive to a spare SSD using SuperDuper. I may never need it, but if I do, I'll be very thankful to have it.

Good luck! :smash:
Thanks HC that's great advice, and I'll be sure to do that!
I'm still in install mode but at least this time I can really streamline my SSD since some of the programs that I had installed, I no longer use.
The bummer is installing my entire NI Komplete library again. Even though I have all the content on a separate HD, NI requires you to re-install everything, programs and content. SMH
With all that said, at least I'm not crashing anymore...lol

F. Douglas
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

kwiz wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:59 pm The bummer is installing my entire NI Komplete library again. Even though I have all the content on a separate HD, NI requires you to re-install everything, programs and content. SMH
I just did a fresh install and Native Access definitely gave me the option to "Locate" the libraries, so I did NOT have to download them. Hopefully you catch this before you've gotten in too deep.