Hello new here, some newbie ?'s

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
RossL
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Hello new here, some newbie ?'s

Post by RossL »

I was a long time Cakewalk/Sonar user, until they went out of business. I am a hobbyist and I try to play music as much as possible, in between life's other responsibilities. I have been using Performer Lite for a few weeks. Is this the correct forum to post basic operating questions? If not can you steer me in the right direction?

Example of something I am looking for................I cannot find the correct command(s) to edit a wave file for an audio track in a project. I am trying to remove a section and paste the remaining section of the file without hearing the edit. I can't seem to get the "spliced" wave forms joined in proper time. In Sonar I could "Selected By Time" and fine tune the cut and paste, until it sounded correct. In Performer Lite I can't seem to find the equivalent command
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Hello new here, some newbie ?'s

Post by mikehalloran »

Welcome to MOTUNation.

Let's dive in.

There's no waveform editor in Performer Lite. Yes, I know that the manual says there is — at least the first version does but it also lists pages that don't exist :( The current version of the manual is much better but still, there are mistakes.

You don't need Digital Performer's Waveform Editor to make the simple edits you describe. You will need to do them manually, instead, drag and listen as you work. I taught a few of my newbies how to do that over a Zoom call yesterday.

Since Performer Lite is restricted to 16 audio, 16 MIDI and 16 Aux tracks, high volume editing tools are probably considered unnecessary. Perhaps, it's MOTU's way of getting you to consider downloading the 30 day Digital Performer demo and considering the upgrade.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
RossL
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by RossL »

That's comforting to hear, since I spent hours looking for this. But also frustrating.

I also found it very difficult to highlight the portion of audio because I was highlighting on the top............kind of far from the track.

This program sounds way better than Sonar, but for what I do I am not sure it's worth the cost of the upgrade.

Can you recommend any other options?

What do you mean when you say taught a few of your newbies yesterday?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

RossL wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:29 pm That's comforting to hear, since I spent hours looking for this. But also frustrating.

I also found it very difficult to highlight the portion of audio because I was highlighting on the top............kind of far from the track.

This program sounds way better than Sonar, but for what I do I am not sure it's worth the cost of the upgrade.

Can you recommend any other options?

What do you mean when you say taught a few of your newbies yesterday?
You select tracks from the top; you highlight sections from the bottom. For precise control, hold the Command (Mac) key as you make your selection.

Assuming you have the latest update of Performer Lite, out for about 6 weeks or so, you have access to getting started videos from within the app. MOTU has other videos as well.

I direct online choirs and praise band for some local churches. Some of my people have M2s and M4s and are using Performer Lite — and have for a few months, now. We’re just now getting to the point where they realize that they can edit and punch in before sending tracks to me. One step at a time… I’m not teaching them how to maximize the potential of Performer Lite, just how to make the tracks they send me better. Wait till I show them how ZTX pitch correction works — it’s advertised as being included in PL.

Unfortunately, more of my users are doing it in GarageBand, a maddeningly frustrating app for my users’ needs or are singing into their smart phones while listening to my guide tracks. Here’s a link to a thread about one of my tracks.

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=68457
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro