DP10 and 828es: Sending track to S/PDIF Output

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
secondwindow
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP10 and 828es: Sending track to S/PDIF Output

Post by secondwindow »

Hello

I'm using DP10 on Windows 10 with a 828es interface connected via USB.

In DP10, I need to direct the output of an already recorded track to the S/PDIF output. This is for "re-amping" the already recorded dry track using an external guitar amp modeler (Axe-FX III).

I'm new to DP and the 828es and have read through the manuals, but I can't figuring out how to do this.

How can I accomplish this?

Thanks!

Eric
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP10 and 828es: Sending track to S/PDIF Output

Post by HCMarkus »

1. 828 Routing Tab: Assign the SPDIF physical Out "From Computer". Manual Page 14. Note that you can re name Computer ports if you wish. If you do, the new names are published to DP (at least they are on a Mac) and they make step 2 easier. You could name the port "SPDIF"

2. In DP's Bundles window, assign a bus to SPDIF and route as desired. Note that, depending on your situation, you may need to set up both stereo and mono buses addressing SPDIF Out.

I haven't had to do this for awhile, but should give you the general idea. I have SPDIF I/O set up as send/return for my 828es, accessible by the internal AVB Mixer and directly from DP via an Aux Send, which I can return to DP via the AVB Mixer. The Routing tab is a bit much to grok initially, but is also incredibly powerful and flexible. You can access it from anywhere on your local network. I spent several days setting up my 828 from a remote laptop while reclining in my favorite chair.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
secondwindow

Post by secondwindow »

Thanks for your reply, HC Markus. I think I'm getting closer to sorting this out, but not there yet.

I'm trying to figure out how to setup a bus that's connected from the computer USB to the hardware S/PDIF out.

Eric
secondwindow

Post by secondwindow »

HC Markus

With your help, I've got this working now. You're right about the routing taking some time to get used to.

Thanks much!

Eric
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

Awesome Eric! Thanks for letting us know you got it rolling.