Adverts ruined YouTube... but they seem to be defeatable?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Adverts ruined YouTube... but they seem to be defeatable?

Post by bayswater »

Jurjen wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:48 pm Sorry for reviving this old topic, but FireFox and Chrome can install Ad Block Plus. With it, it blocks all evil that Youtube tries to show you.
So can Safari. And Edge, and Opera.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Ad Blocker is working great for me for YouTube, but ONLY in Chrome. If I use Safari, the videos just won't load (which is the reason I don't use Safari anymore; also, Chrome opens and loads much faster).

The one thing Ad Blocker doesn't seem able to touch is god damned Facebook... I hadn't logged in to FB for years, and now I'm starting to remember why that was. As of now, in my newsfeed I get one ad per two friend's posts. The other day I made the mistake of ordering Walmart stuff online, and now all my Facebook ads are Walmart "deals" and stupid price lists.

Anyone knows of an ad blocker for Facebook that actually works?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:11 am Anyone knows of an ad blocker for Facebook that actually works?
Little Snitch?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Jurjen
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Jurjen »

FMiguelez wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:11 am Anyone knows of an ad blocker for Facebook that actually works?
I see sponsored posts (not sure if different from the ads you see), but not every two posts. I'm on Firefox with ABP.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

FMiguelez wrote:
Anyone knows of an ad blocker for Facebook that actually works?
I've moved on to Firefox, which is very clunky, but I'm convinced that it has the best built-in security of them all. Also the best amount of high quality extensions. I use it with uBlock Origin and suffer none of the complaints you mention. I think I found one financial site that didn't want to cooperate with Firefox. There is also Brave, which you may want to try. It has built-in ad blocking and an interesting cyptocurrency ad model. It's based on the Chromium engine. I have used it from time to time and can assure you it is safe (that is, if you want to take my word for it.)
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31