M4 not recognised by Mac after switching off and on

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Andy Diamond
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: M4 not recognised by Mac after switching off and on

Post by Andy Diamond »

So far it seems to be working without restarting. Will do more testing.
Andy Diamond

Post by Andy Diamond »

OK so I am able to turn the interface on and off, plug it in and unplug it and have my DAW and all other audio related-app, including web stuff see it.

No more 'going missing'.

I figure removing the MOTU driver fixed the problem.

Hope that helps anyone having the same issue.
csansom

Post by csansom »

OK, thanks. I haven't dared to test the off/on or un/replug routine yet, but if I run into trouble when I do I'll remember to get rid of that pesky driver. Thanks, and I hope it continues to behave for you.
iMac Pro (2017), macOS 12.7.2 Monterey, MOTU M4, Adam A7 monitors, DP 11.3 94678, Finale 27.4.1, VIs from NI, SampleModeling, AudioModeling, Spitfire, Soniccouture, IK, UVI, Modartt, etc. Studiologic acuna88 keyboard
mabbels

Post by mabbels »

Silly question, but just want to make sure that I´m not just doing it wrong: Putting my mac into sleep mode doesn´t turn off USB bus power (MOTU stays on). How do I prevent USB ports to further provide power with a mac? Being a windows child, I´m still fairly new to apple´s paradise.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I had similar problems with my 2019 15" MBP and the M4. Deleting the MOTU Driver fixed it. The M4 would show up in Audio/MIDI, but no sound would come out, even playing through external sources into the Mic inputs, Nothing would sound. ONCE IN A WHILE, it would work, but not very often (It's worked perfectly though my main MacPro system for over a year). But I deleted the "MOTUCoreUAC.kext" as recommended, and now it's working.

Now, when I FIRST got the M4, I forgot to install the drivers, and the system crashed CONSTANTLY. I'm not sure if the Pkg just installs that kext file, or some other things. I've also been through at least one major OSX update since then. Crossing fingers that deleting the kext doesn't cause it to crash like it used to.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Andy Diamond

Post by Andy Diamond »

Interesting. Well I hope none of us need to use the loop-back function anytime soon!

It's an excellent interface but those driver suck!
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I was actually looking into video conferencing the other day which could use loopback. But I'm wondering if the M4 could use something like Rogue Ameoba "Loopback" or "Audio Hijack". I've been meaning to download a demo and test it out.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy