Monitor level knob

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
stratblue
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Monitor level knob

Post by stratblue »

Hi there.

I have an 828 mk3 and Cuemix, is there any way to have a big fat knob on my desk that always controls the overall monitor output in cuemix at the top right?

Thanks.
MOTU 828 mk3, genoQs octopus, TR8s, V Synth XT, Novation SuperNova, Akai Z8, BMW M3 V8 & R1200GSA.
HCMarkus

Re: Monitor level knob

Post by HCMarkus »

Not directly answering your question (I'm unsure if there is a product that does what you ask), have you considered a Monitor Controller between the output of your 828 and your speakers? Assuming you are using the analog outputs on the 828, this is a solution that can provide other benefits, like speaker switching and headphone amp(s).
stratblue

Post by stratblue »

HCMarkus wrote:Not directly answering your question (I'm unsure if there is a product that does what you ask), have you considered a Monitor Controller between the output of your 828 and your speakers? Assuming you are using the analog outputs on the 828, this is a solution that can provide other benefits, like speaker switching and headphone amp(s).
Hey there.

I've seen that Big Knob thing by Mackie but I don't need monitor switching and want to keep my set up as simple as I can, I just want a BLOODY GREAT KNOB marked 'volume'. ideally with a sucker on the base so it sticks to the desk.
MOTU 828 mk3, genoQs octopus, TR8s, V Synth XT, Novation SuperNova, Akai Z8, BMW M3 V8 & R1200GSA.
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

Maybe there's an app out there that will let you design an OSC control for your desktop.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

stratblue

Post by stratblue »

Hey there.

Thanks for that, the TC electronic thing looks pretty good.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I've seen that Big Knob thing by Mackie but I don't need monitor switching and want to keep my set up as simple as I can, I just want a BLOODY GREAT KNOB marked 'volume'. ideally with a sucker on the base so it sticks to the desk.
Even better is also having a Mono button that checks mono capability without having to get into your computer — no matter how simple you make it, there's no key combo that just does it as easily as pressing a button on the desk.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... controller

I know — $10 more than the TC Pilot but the added features are well worth it, IMO.

The mute button comes in handy, too.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stratblue

Post by stratblue »

mikehalloran wrote:
Even better is also having a Mono button that checks mono capability without having to get into your computer — no matter how simple you make it, there's no key combo that just does it as easily as pressing a button on the desk.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... controller

I know — $10 more than the TC Pilot but the added features are well worth it, IMO.

The mute button comes in handy, too.

Damn you and your pesky logic, Mike.
stratblue

Post by stratblue »

I can confirm that Behringer is a good bit of kit.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You really need something like this with the 828 and it's tiny knobs when it's buried in a rack. I got the TC Pilot a long time ago. For Mute and Mono, the DP mixer works fine, although as mentioned, for a few dollars more, it's a good thing to have.

I'd check for reports on how well the Behringer maintains left right balance as you change levels. My TC-P was great initially, but now, at low levels, the signal drops faster on the left than the right. As long as I set levels so the TC never has to go to it's lowest levels, it's fine. But I suppose this sort of mechanical problem could happen in other parts of the resistors in the unit.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dickhauser

Post by dickhauser »

I've the used "nano patch" for a decade or so. Just sits there and does what it's supposed to. It's not stocked at Sweetwater any more, but Amazon lists them. Close to $100 now, which seems high to me, but there ya go...
Dick H

24" iMac M3, OS Sonoma 14.4.1 , 16GB, DP 11.31
828x, 8Pre, Mach5 3.2.1
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

dickhauser wrote:I've the used "nano patch" for a decade or so... Amazon lists them. Close to $100 now, which seems high to me, but there ya go...
FYI, at a better price right from some other vendors, including Harmon directly:

https://jblpro.com/en/products/nano-patch-plus
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I bought the Nano Patch for my daughter years ago. AFIK, she's still using it. I couldn't remember what it was called when I replied earlier in this thread.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro