ripple edit

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Jeffsarge
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

ripple edit

Post by Jeffsarge »

Is it possible to do ripple editing in DP like you can in Reaper?
Thanks,
Jeff
HCMarkus

Re: ripple edit

Post by HCMarkus »

Jeffsarge wrote:Is it possible to do ripple editing in DP like you can in R•••••?
Thanks,
Jeff
I trust it doesn't involve cheap wine...

I think I know whatcha' mean, but please illuminate me (us) by providing greater detail.
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

Maybe Snip and Splice? Not familiar with Reaper.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Yeah, I believe Snip is the name for it in DP (command-J).
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Command-J is the Mac shortcut. Sorry...I guess this is in the Windows area of the board. It's under the Edit menu.

BTW, Snip only works when you have a time-based selection, not an object selection (like a soundbite). So, if you want to snip a soundbite go up to the mini-menu and choose "Set to Selection Bounds" after selecting the soundbite to make Snip available.

--Kurt
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
Jeffsarge

Post by Jeffsarge »

Ripple editing simply allows you to select a clip and move it. When you do everything downstream of it moves also. Most video editors have this capability.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It's called Snip. Select a time range with the I beam tool. Command or Shift select other tracks if the selection should cover more than one track. Execute the Snip (cmd-J) command. The selection is deleted and subsequent events are shifted earlier as with ripple editing.

DP does pretty much everything any other DAW does. But you need to know what the function is called in DP. In this case, a few minutes with the Edit chapter in the manual will reveal all.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

I wonder what the logic is that Snip only works for time range selections and not objects? Across multiple tracks I can see issues, but in a single track or working with clips not so much. Anyway, when working with multiple tracks the 'Grow selection to all tracks' is helpful. Also, there is a Snip and Adjust Notes Durations menu selection available when you shift-click the Edit menu (option-click on Mac). This obviously would be for MIDI, but could not find any reference in the manual.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

DP works in a way that depends on selection, and extending and modifying selections. Whether this is logic or not, I don't know, but it leans on more sophistication in how things are selected, and less on the complexity of the operations that follow. For example, if you double click on an object with the I-beam tool, you get a range selection that can be snipped. Otherwise selecting objects only allows other operations like copy and paste.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8