How do I make a unique copy of a soundbite?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How do I make a unique copy of a soundbite?

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:Remember how it was when we didn't have the PDF manual? The :arrrr: hunting? :lol:
I do.

I used to read the manual. That still works. It works with a lot of applications. First, use the application for a little while and get confused. Then read the manual end to end, and get a load of "aha" experiences. Doing that way also helps you remember what you learn. Making a few notes in the manual helps too.

The manual might be searchable, but the trick is to know what terms to search. If you know that, you probably don't need to do the search.

Don't forget Shift-Space. That can solve a lot of mysteries.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Tomas E »

mikehalloran wrote: You can always duplicate the original audio file and drag that into your project. You will have what appears to be an identical sound bite but it points to a different file.
That's a good one. Since you wrote "drag it into your project" I understand that it must be done within the soundbite window. Right-clicking on a soundbite brings up a mini menu which contains the option "New Audio File from Selected Soundbites". This creates a new one with #.2 added. I then will be able to tweak it more safely since the original is not affected at all. No more soundbites added to the original sound file either, they will belong to the new one.
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I help a lot of people but only ones with problems other than laziness. 14 years teaching at a university leaves a mark.
You're obviously a well educated man. Then you should know that "tired" not necessarily means that someone is lazy, I actually was only tired. I have high demands on myself, often too high, which is why I get tired. Furthermore the manual is in English, and when you're tired it's not that easy to find things, even if they are written in the language you speak.

By the way, I'm a teacher myself too, but I'm not working since many years due to stress-related illness. I have to select carefully what I do during the days in order to have a life.
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

CharlzS wrote:In the Soundbite window you can right-click a soundbite and 'new sound file from selected'. Names are assigned, but you can then change the soundbite name and file name by alt-clicking each entry. It would be nice if there was a dialog presented to do this all at once.
Yes, thanks! As you can see in a previous post I found it.
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

stubbsonic wrote:It's relevant to be aware of "Edge Edit Copy" which is in the Sequence Editor mini-menu.

When checked, if you have multiple copies of the same soundbite in the track, right after you edge edit a particular region, it will become a new soundbite with a new number appended to the name, and the others remain unchanged.

When unchecked, if you edit the edge it will change all copies of that same soundbite in all locations.
Thanks for reminding me! I usually have that option checked, but come to think of it I'm not sure I would have remembered where to go if I wanted to change them all.
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

HCMarkus wrote: Hey Tomas... don't let it get to you.
Thanks for your support! :)
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

Michael Canavan wrote: I think this particular case is a rare enough situation that it would be near impossible to come up with search terms that pinpointed the part of the manual that mentions it. In fact everyones suggestions are pretty much workarounds.

Another suggestion, there are at least three Facebook pages for DP at this point. All of them are a lot more friendly towards these types of questions. MOTU Guru, Motu Digital Performer and MOTU Digital Performer How To Videos. Motu Digital Performer has the most members, but MOTU Guru is guys from the webinar series, i.e. dedicated DP folks.
As said, I found the "New Audio File from Selected Soundbites" to be the best option. Not bad at all actually. And, yeah, some things users come to think of is not always thought of in the same way by the manufacturer.

Unfortunately I'm not on Facebook, but if I against all odds should become a member I might look it up. Thanks!