Vocal Nodes in recording

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Julia123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Vocal Nodes in recording

Post by Julia123 »

I have a vocal recording where the vocalist has what I believe are nodes and there is a constant scratchy hiss in many takes of ahhs, ooos etc. It seems like it should be similar to other kinds of noise but my experimenting with RX 7 is getting me nowhere. I can't eq it out with much success either, yet it seems to stay very constant.

Has anyone here dealt with this or something similar and have any suggestions?
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Vocal Nodes in recording

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I usually start with the Isotope RX 2 Denoiser. I'm not sure what the equivalent is in RX 7. I have both, but only the RX 2 has the Denoiser.. I see the RX7 vocal cleanup thing, but I doubt that's the same thing.

Ozone 9 might be helpful, as well as Hit and Mix's Infinity. No inexpensive solution. But even so, the trick is going to be to isolate the unwanted audio so it can be reduced. Surrounding frequencies may suffer.

The thing bout the denoiser I like is you can monitor brother the signal sans the noise, or just the noise. That can really help in nailing down the exact frequency. I usually have to back it off a little and compromise on a middle ground that keeps some noise so as to not impair the naturalness of the sound.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Spectral De Noise is the RX 7 version the old DeNoise plugin from RX 2–4. You can ask it to learn the noise and go from there. The version in Advanced has greater functionality and is installed as a stand-alone plugin but the one in Standard is pretty good, too. Spectral is not found in Elements.

There is another plug called Voice DeNoise but it's not the same. Voice DeNoise is a godsend for mouth snaps and clicking that other plugs can't seem to touch. First time I used it on a child's voice (back when it was part of Advanced only), I thought it worth every penny I had paid but not that many singers need it IMO — perhaps yours might.

RX Elements contains Voice… but not Spectral… Here's a tutorial page — scroll down for the old comparison chart.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rx/features.html

If you purchased enough bundles, you might find yourself with licenses for Elements, Standard and Advanced. Whichever one you install last is the version that you'll find in your plugins list — as I found out when I accidentally installed Elements and discovered my Advanced plugins were missing. The stand-alone is affected, too. Reinstalling Advanced fixed that up. Ozone is the same way but Nectar is not.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I would also try a multi band compressor. Zero-in the offending frequency range and set in such a way that it compresses a good amount when those noises happen. May not work at all, but worth a try.

DP´s multiband compressor is GREAT for this!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

Thanks for the suggestions. It did end up being too much of a sacrifice to tone it down after trying some of the above and more. I ended up adding another part behind the vocal where it was a problem to just mask it after all of that:-).
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Julia123 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. It did end up being too much of a sacrifice to tone it down after trying some of the above and more. I ended up adding another part behind the vocal where it was a problem to just mask it after all of that:-).
Old-School technique, to the rescue! :koolaid:
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

It doesn't help much now, but I've had a number of singers who generated a lot of that sort of thing, and the easiest fix is demoing as many different mics as possible to find the one that showcases it the least, while still sounding good on the voice. It's maybe only a wish-list thought, a reminder that fix-in-the-mix is always harder (but sometimes unavoidable), or an excuse to buy more microphone types!
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

I will keep that in mind for next time definitely!