Is it worth upgrading the RAM?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wilkinsi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Is it worth upgrading the RAM?

Post by wilkinsi »

I have a 2018 Mac Mini, quad core 3.6GHZ and 8GB RAM. I use my Mac for music making, internet and watching movies. Not all at once. DP10 does tend to struggle with DSP when using AU plugins, some more than others. So, will adding more RAM make a difference? I was thinking of 32 or 64GB (64 is the max it will take).
Mac Mini 2018 - 8GB RAM, 3.6 GHZ Quad Core, 128GB SSD
External 2TB NVME TB3 SSD, External 1TB SSD (OS recovery), External 500GB TB/USB SSD (Time Machine backup)
MOTU 828es
Digital Performer 11, UVI Falcon.
HCMarkus

Re: Is it worth upgrading the RAM?

Post by HCMarkus »

More RAM may very well help.

If you want to see how things are operating now, run (in Applications > Utilities' Folder) Apple's Activity Monitor as you work in DP. Look at Memory Pressure and Swap Used under the Memory Tab..
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Also which AUs and how you use them can make a difference. If possible, large VIs should be in their own instance of the host player. That will spread the CPU demand across the various cores. But more RAM is never a bad idea.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Going to 16 will most definitely be worth it! Progressively less gain after that. More than 32gb is probably not worth it unless you work with big sample libraries.
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

More than 32gb is probably not worth it
:rofl:

Plugins like RAM. VIs like cores.

More RAM allows more apps to stay open without swapping.

I'm not positive I really need 128GB but I have exceeded having 98GB in use more than once. Now that I'm editing video while keeping DP open, I like having that much onboard.

Certain web sites can be RAM hogs.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wilkinsi

Post by wilkinsi »

So, I am correct to make the compromise in using VI's in Standalone Mode, and buy more RAM to satisfy DSP-hungry effects plugins?
External 2TB NVME TB3 SSD, External 1TB SSD (OS recovery), External 500GB TB/USB SSD (Time Machine backup)
MOTU 828es
wilkinsi

Post by wilkinsi »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Also which AUs and how you use them can make a difference. If possible, large VIs should be in their own instance of the host player. That will spread the CPU demand across the various cores. But more RAM is never a bad idea.
In their own instance? I usually just go to Add Track > Instruments with Options > only one Instrument Track is assigned to UVI Falcon, with just "one MIDI track for each instrument". If I need another instance of Falcon in the same project, that has it's own MIDI track. I prefer to record soft synths as plugin instances, because I don't have to re-record the same notes all over again if I want to change the instrument or preset.
MOTU 828es
wilkinsi

Post by wilkinsi »

OOPS! Somebody please move this topic to the Mac section. How it wound up in Windows, I don't know.
MOTU 828es
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I don't think. you will gain anything by running VIs as standalone. What MLC is pointing out is the fact that, while a multi-timbral VI plugin can host a large number of independent MIDI-driven sound generators at once, it will only be running on a single thread. SO, instead of eight MIDI tracks driving eight channels of one synth plugin (for example, Omnisphere), you might have better luck running two instantiations of the plug in VI, each driven by four MIDI tracks.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I upgraded my Mini from 8 to 32. While I was waiting for RAM to arrive, I used it with 8G and was surprised at how well it did with the minimum configuration. But even if your projects are mostly audio tracks with a few plugins and some hardware MIDI, if you intend to use this Mac for a while, and use it for other things, you'll want more RAM. At some point, there will be OS updates, DP updates, etc that won't work well on 8G. My recollection is that 32G is a reasonable deal, and that 64G was not so great. 16G is not worth the effort.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Alicorn 935/960
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Alicorn 935/960 »

Pump up the RAM!
64gb here but this custom workstation, (my build, number14), is also a video, 3d mesh & graphics workstation as well.
It's only an i7 so getting a bit long in the tooth, but its lightning fast at everything.
Admittedly I am a DP novice atmo, but its performing very well indeed.
:dance: