A divorce... of sorts

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: A divorce... of sorts

Post by bayswater »

Sure, a lot of it is not well thought through. Maybe one day, someone will buy the company and rationalize it. Maybe Gibson? :shock: They've got it all figured out.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:Sure, a lot of it is not well thought through. Maybe one day, someone will buy the company and rationalize it. Maybe Gibson? :shock: They've got it all figured out.
:rofl:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

They could call it Ommmmmmms.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

How's the phone support? Oh yea... right. Isn't it still a one person show?

It's not something I use often. I think that yesterday may have been the first time for DP but I've called a few times for web site and hardware issues.

Even Logic and FCPx have phone support if you need it. Never have for Logic but the time I needed it for FCPx was a project saver.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I have recently begun offering a price range for my services. I am very pleased with the result. I either get the middle ground or the highest. I paid the lower price for Reaper as I misunderstood the gross revenue means total income and not the net income. I mistake I will correct shortly :)
The forum and various groups as well as the websites and films from Kenny Gioia and Jon Tidey were enough to get me through all of the problems. The updates happen monthly and a lot of the stuff we talk on the forum about, if really necessary and reasonable, get put into them. I had two or three of my own suggestions that wound weight with other users and got added or corrected in the subsequent updates.
Last edited by supersonic on Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
MIDI Life Crisis

I changed my pricing policy about 30 years ago. I always get the highest price, but you have to be able to deliver based on the the Golden Rule in Hollywood. You only get to pick two:

Good

Fast

Cheap

I always deliver "good."
I always deliver "fast."
I never deliver cheap.

Cheap is for suckers. lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I changed my pricing policy about 30 years ago. I always get the highest price, but you have to be able to deliver based on the the Golden Rule in Hollywood. You only get to pick two:

Good

Fast

Cheap

I always deliver "good."
I always deliver "fast."
I never deliver cheap.

Cheap is for suckers. lol
Same here :). However, while I work for big clients whom I charge accordingly, I also produce and record local indie artists. They definitely have a very different budget (here in Poland). I wanted to offer them a choice. I am still happy with the low end of my price. It's fair :)
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I've had a copy for a while. I got a little tired of DP and Live not doing MPE and ended up tossing three more DAWs on the computer to let them shoot it out and see which one wins.

It's a great DAW, Justin the developer does great code. It's leaner than all the rest, better CPU usage than even DP, which comes in second on tests I've done. It's extremely customizable, to the point to where there are two "easy" programming languages you can directly used to modify it to your needs, and it's deep.

That's also it's weakness. It has a scripted version of articulation or expression mappings that Logic and Cubase have, but it's more like coding to get it to work than either of these, so it sits in partial development. Same with Clips like DP, Live etc. have, someone made a script for it, but it's clunkier than DPs Clips currently are, and it's an add on for $20 or so. Editing MIDI in it is a PITA, it's not anywhere near as elegant as any of the other DAWs I've used, it's powerful, but oddly put together.

One thing it's doing completely right is appealing to nerds though, there's a lot of amazing add ons people have developed for it, absolutely fantastic control surface support, hundreds and hundreds of online tutorials for it. Some of better quality than most of what's on Groove3 and the like. It's really pretty amazing, and it's really kind of sad that MOTU never fostered that kind of loyalty, or business relationships to reach that level.

In the bigger picture though I like Chunks better for what I do than what R does. I don't like the add on for Clips, and I'm in no doubt that when DP gets articulation mapping it will be more elegant than the add on in R.

I have to be honest though, I wish MOTU could kidnap Justin, lock him in a room for a year with DP and add in some of the better parts of R without letting him near the GUI.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Yes. The GUI is strange. I love DP's workflow in general. Hopefully some fo those things will find their way into it. I used chunks all the time, but they can't be nested within a master sequence in a movie project for example, and the song functionality of DP never appealed to me. So sub-projects is what won me over. And it saved me many times on a big budget TV series I scored.
A couple of days ago I received a project on DP from a long time friend I've been mixing albums for (20 years actually). We both worked on DP so far so that is how we did it. This time around I tried to start mixing in DP and wanted to put my Console 1 plugin across 50+ tracks. While in Reaper this was done by selecting the tracks and hitting the shortcut I have for this and many other plugins and plugin chains, I realised I would have to do it manually. I gave up, transferred the project to AAF then, using AAT, I converted it to Reaper format and took it from there. The add-ons of Reaper are an amazing feature. Just the SWS is stupendous, and there are tons of others. You can also pay someone to write a script for you that does what you want and you don't find it anywhere. Chances are though, that it will exist. It's this kind of "torrent-like" approach that makes it very fast on it's toes to bring new things to the table. I could't do without the AAT, which is a paid program from a very nice developer who explains how to run this windows version in wine. I use it to transfer my sessions from Reaper to Pro Tools before sending them back to the mixing engineer.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

supersonic wrote:The add-ons of R••••• are an amazing feature. Just the SWS is stupendous, and there are tons of others. You can also pay someone to write a script for you that does what you want and you don't find it anywhere. Chances are though, that it will exist. It's this kind of "torrent-like" approach that makes it very fast on it's toes to bring new things to the table. I could't do without the AAT, which is a paid program from a very nice developer who explains how to run this windows version in wine. I use it to transfer my sessions from R••••• to Pro Tools before sending them back to the mixing engineer.
Blimey - this is like an advert for Reaper. Look - I switched to Studio One a few years back but trying to be courteous to the people here, I don't post much even though I still use DP for things. All Daws are both different, and similar and have things that suit people better. I tried Reaper but it wasn't for me. I don't think it is better than Studio One or Cubase or Logic let alone DP. It has an "amateur" and "open source" vibe which some people like (and it undercuts the price of other Daws as you can be sure few pay at all, or pay the full price), but I prefer a more "professional" appeal of the more mature Daws. If I was paying for a studio session, would I be happy to see Reaper as the Daw? No. That is, maybe, just me.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Guitar Gaz wrote: If I was paying for a studio session, would I be happy to see R••••• as the Daw? No. That is, maybe, just me.
I would turn around and leave, immediately.

I don't actually know a single real professional composer/producer/musician who uses that DAW.

And the higher price for "if you make over $20k" is :vomit:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Killahurts wrote:
Guitar Gaz wrote: If I was paying for a studio session, would I be happy to see R••••• as the Daw? No. That is, maybe, just me.
I would turn around and leave, immediately.

I don't actually know a single real professional composer/producer/musician who uses that DAW.

And the higher price for "if you make over $20k" is :vomit:
Exactly!

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

mikehalloran wrote:
bayswater wrote:Sure, a lot of it is not well thought through. Maybe one day, someone will buy the company and rationalize it. Maybe Gibson? :shock: They've got it all figured out.
:rofl:
Off topic, but I actually went to Dave's Palo Alto business loft in 1985 to purchase the Opcode software.
This because the Southworth platform was so terrible.
All of this for sequencing on a 512K mac.
Eventually Studio Vision seemed almost usable.... then the dreaded Gib kill.
Ahhh, memories.
All is well
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

And... back on topic...
Just downloaded Reefer and the GUI seems a bit unrefined.
Much better than Southworth Total Music, though.
I will check it out and report.
All is well
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

waterstrum wrote:And... back on topic...
Just downloaded Reefer and the GUI seems a bit unrefined.
Much better than Southworth Total Music, though.
I will check it out and report.
It's great at certain things and terrible at others. Pretty much like all DAWs. The GUI is a POS, but it's skin-able.
I will always use DP, but I do jump around a bit, and R is pretty cool, but it's not elegant that's for sure.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.