Question about timecode, streaming, and audio

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Question about timecode, streaming, and audio

Post by wonder »

Since the lockdown, our live gigs went from 200+ to 0.

We're starting live streaming.

I want to do some cool things but not sure HOW to do it.

For instance, film some green screen clips and have them overlayed onto the live cams. That's easy enough.

But how would I sync the start of the video to the start of my click track?

I'm running MainStage for my sounds on my MBP and I have an iMac running OBS and other apps for the livestream.

I'm guessing I need to send timecode or MMC to the iMac to "start" the video file?

Has anyone done work like this? If so, where should I start?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Question about timecode, streaming, and audio

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Assuming the video has audio, why would you need a click track?

Conversely, if the video doesn’t have audio, same question.

An you be more specific?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

We've been doing "Zoom Live" stuff for 13 weeks now. Although I am sure there are higher tech ways of syncing, by simply having the Guide Track click audible when video is being recorded, and starting the video first, it is a simple matter to line up the video and guide after the fact. If you wanna' see what we've put together, take a gander here:

https://sullyband.com/videos

I create the Guide Track in advance, with an 8 bar click intro so everyone has a chance to get ready before things get rolling.
wonder

Post by wonder »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Assuming the video has audio, why would you need a click track?

Conversely, if the video doesn’t have audio, same question.

An you be more specific?

The video does NOT have audio. The video is elements that would need to be synced perfectly to, say, the chorus band hits. Click will keep the band in sync with the video.

I suppose I could press the click to the video and run the audio out from the video to the band IEMs and that way we'll obviously be in sync.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
wonder

Post by wonder »

HCMarkus wrote:We've been doing "Zoom Live" stuff for 13 weeks now. Although I am sure there are higher tech ways of syncing, by simply having the Guide Track click audible when video is being recorded, and starting the video first, it is a simple matter to line up the video and guide after the fact. If you wanna' see what we've put together, take a gander here:

https://sullyband.com/videos

I create the Guide Track in advance, with an 8 bar click intro so everyone has a chance to get ready before things get rolling.
Everything is live so any post-production isn't an option :(
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Might I suggest... rehearsal? Lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If it all is live, why would sync be an issue? But it seems that is not the case...
The video does NOT have audio. The video is elements that would need to be synced perfectly to, say, the chorus band hits. Click will keep the band in sync with the video.

I suppose I could press the click to the video and run the audio out from the video to the band IEMs and that way we'll obviously be in sync.
Yes. Put click on the video's audio track. May I suggest a pre-recorded verbal Cue on the track as well? Keeps everyone on the same page.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I do this every week with church choirs and praise bands over Zoom.

The video is recorded to a scratch track—it will be way out of sync on playback. That audio will be discarded and replaced in post. Lining up the final audio is very easy, especially with choirs. Not all the singers will be in sync but that’s ok. You line up the final audio with your eyes to the greatest number of singers appearing to sing together. Save and render.

Because of latency over the internet, the originating computer (my iMac Pro) for the audio will be earlier than any of the remote stations. I use my laptop over wireless for my video as the conductor so that its latency is closer to most of my singers.

My praise bands get a click track on the scratch so they can send their individual tracks that I can sync later. Nothing unusual there.

For choirs, I send out the accompaniment with a guide track for each vocal part. Blending a Clavinette for the ictus with a reed patch for sustain works ok—better than guide vocals. Mixing the individual tracks is time consuming—especially with old, wobbly senior voices—but I’ve picked up a number tricks and tips along the way. I’ve been asked to teach a class on this but I don’t have the process where I’d like it yet.

I certainly like Eric Whitaker’s approach but that would be impractical for what I do. Even though I’m now retired, there aren’t enough hours to use that to produce the amount of music I’m making these days.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro