Platform M control surface

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
supersonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Platform M control surface

Post by supersonic »

darrell wrote:Maybe I missed in this thread, but are the faders touch-sensitive re automated recording?
Yes they are.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
rickindies

Post by rickindies »

supersonic wrote:I got the Icon. It works ok though it doesn't bank automatically when selecting a track outside of its range. The thing I would like to sort out now is using it with MIDI CCs.
Did you ever get it to work with MIDI cc? I'm demoing qprox at this moment and coulnd't seem to get it work for MIDI cc assignment. It's 2020, assigning MIDI cc should be very easy, I don't know what have I missed.

Besides the MIDI cc thing, how is it you experience working with platforms m+ with DP as control surface?
thedeadsea

Post by thedeadsea »

Howdy - a question for users of the Platform M/M+ -

I want to be able to view my full mixer and full track list in the Sequence whilst scrolling through banks/channels on the control surface. But at least on my setup, every time I scroll banks/channels, the Track Selector in DP will change to only make visible the corresponding 8 channels/tracks.

Is there a way to scroll through banks whilst still seeing all tracks/channels in a project?

Thanks!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

thedeadsea wrote:Is there a way to scroll through banks whilst still seeing all tracks/channels in a project?
I hope someone knows. I've played around with emulation settings and preferences, and had this working sometimes, but things always reverted back to the eight visible tracks in DP and I haven't figured out exactly what it was that worked.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
thedeadsea

Post by thedeadsea »

bayswater wrote:
thedeadsea wrote: I hope someone knows. I've played around with emulation settings and preferences, and had this working sometimes, but things always reverted back to the eight visible tracks in DP and I haven't figured out exactly what it was that worked.
Same experience here - it's almost like every now and then DP 'forgets' to update to the selected bank etc, and for a second I think it's fixed, but then it invariably reverts back to 8 tracks at a time.

I should add that besides this issue I love it - transport control and fader automation working really well for me.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

thedeadsea wrote:I should add that besides this issue I love it - transport control and fader automation working really well for me.
I don't know much about the Platform M, I use the original BCF2000 when I need a controller. I notice the "all channels" works more often with the HUI emulator than the Mackie Control. Does "M" have different emulators?
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

I've been using one for a couple years. I replaced a baby HUI with it without much improvement as I though it might solve some issues of fader moves being written but not heard until played back which were resolved when I upgraded to a faster machine. I had the same annoyances with the bank thing. I usually just re-organize the tracks I'm automating as a workaround. Has anyone had any luck getting consistent scroll wheel functionality and if so how? Also, is anyone using the display module and if so how does it work with DP? Thanks in advance.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
thedeadsea

Post by thedeadsea »

bayswater wrote:
thedeadsea wrote:I should add that besides this issue I love it - transport control and fader automation working really well for me.
I don't know much about the Platform M, I use the original BCF2000 when I need a controller. I notice the "all channels" works more often with the HUI emulator than the Mackie Control. Does "M" have different emulators?
Same deal with HUI mode on the Platform unfortunately... still only 8 tracks viewable at a time
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

thedeadsea wrote:Same deal with HUI mode on the Platform unfortunately... still only 8 tracks viewable at a time
I didn't mean to say HUI is the solution, just that when I did get it to work, it was more often in HUI mode. The key is probably to figure out how to get the track selector in DP to stop responding to the data from the controller.
jpg

Post by jpg »

Hi,
I am trying to control MIDI CCs via an ICON Audio Pro Platform X+ in DP9.51 but it is not working at all. Here below are the mails I am having with Icon Audio Pro support. Before I send back this Platform X+, does anyone knows more about this subject ?

All the best,

Icon Europe (ICON Pro Audio)
Nov 6, 2020, 14:59 EST

Hello,
and thanks for reaching out to us, I'm sorry you're having trouble with your controller.
Let me try to help get this all sorted out.

I am not aware of testing happened in this area. The user mode sending MIDI CC´s has a lot of flaws and is generally not fit for purpose with Mackie Control DAW´s. Please use Mackie Control mode und the MIDI learn function integrated into the DAW.

I hope this helps to clear things up, though of course if you have any other questions or concerns we might be able to help address please don't hesitate to let us know.
Thank you again for your patience and understanding.

Erik
Icon Pro Audio Support.

------------------------

JPG
Nov 6, 2020, 8:10 EST

Hello,

I am sorry to have to repeat my question. When I assign CCs settings to faders in iMap app and then moving these faders : nothing appends, no CCs are generate anywhere. Even when reading previous recorded CCs, the faders do not move, nothing append (except freezing my MIDI Control keyboard so that I have to reboot my all DAW).
As I checked on MotuNation site ( viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62564&hilit=icon+platform&start=30 ), Platform X+ with Digital Performer seems to works ONLY with audio channels (even if there are a few problems), but nobody on this site seems to have found the way to make it works with MIDI CCs (please notice that the cheap Korg nanoKontrol2 controls easily and perfectly all MIDI CCs in/out with Digital Performer - but of course without motorized faders).
Could you tell me if you really have tested Platform X+ controlling MIDI CCs in/out with Digital Performer ? If yes, could you then precisely explain me the way to make it working ?
Could you also tell me if Platform X+ working with Logic Pro X is able to fully manage MIDI CCs in/out ?

Thanks for your help,
JPG

------------------------
> Le 5 nov. 2020 à 23:38, Icon Europe (ICON Pro Audio) <support@icon.zendesk.com> a écrit :

Icon Europe (ICON Pro Audio)
Nov 5, 2020, 17:38 EST

Hello,
and thanks for reaching out to us, I'm sorry you're having trouble with your controller.
Let me try to help get this all sorted out.

We have checked general compatibility and that the device works with the Mackie Control script. Please further clarify what does not work when you are using your device.

I hope this helps to clear things up, though of course if you have any other questions or concerns we might be able to help address please don't hesitate to let us know.
Thank you again for your patience and understanding.

Erik
Icon Pro Audio Support.

------------------------
JPG
Nov 3, 2020, 18:32 EST

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.
I did use Mackie Control connexion in Digital Performer and it did recognises the Icon Platform X+, but there is no need to a MIDI learn feature in Digital Performer because it automatically recognises by itself any incoming MIDI message. And as I wrote you Korg nanoKontrol2 works directly as plug and Play. As it is written on your document that Platform X+ is compatible with Digital Performer all I need to know now is how precisely you tested your device in Digital Performer for making MIDI synchronisation working
!
MacPro i7 2.02Ghz, 12Go RAM, MacOS 10.6.8, DP 7.24, VE Pro5
PC i7 2.80GHz, 24Go RAM, W7, VE Pro5, Play, VSL, NI
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

jpg wrote:Hi,
I am trying to control MIDI CCs via an ICON Audio Pro Platform X+ in DP9.51 but it is not working at all. Here below are the mails I am having with Icon Audio Pro support. Before I send back this Platform X+, does anyone knows more about this subject ?

All the best,
Just a guess because I do not have an Icon, but I do use other controllers/control surfaces. Do you still have it configured as a control surface in DP? If you're running the Icon in CC mode it shouldn't be configured as a control surface. It's an either/or but not both scenario.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
jpg

Post by jpg »

Is there any particular settings for connecting a CC Controller to DP 9.51 ?
I already use a nanoKorg2 which works without any problem, like a simple plug and play device. But the motorised faders of the Icon Audio Pro Platform X+ would be such an amazing solution if it just matched with Digital Performer !

Anyway, thanks for your kind answer.
MacPro i7 2.02Ghz, 12Go RAM, MacOS 10.6.8, DP 7.24, VE Pro5
PC i7 2.80GHz, 24Go RAM, W7, VE Pro5, Play, VSL, NI
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

The software that comes with the unit (which now runs on Mac as well as PC) makes it easy to remap the device to any MIDI controller numbers you want. I don't use it that way, but you can... saving set-ups for various controllers on your computer and loading them into the Platform-M as needed.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]