Digital Performer 4.0 key code trouble

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Nbattista
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Digital Performer 4.0 key code trouble

Post by Nbattista »

I know this form of Digital Performer is old, like old old, but its the one that I'm currently using. Maybe if there is a way to upgrade for free or a digital performer 5 for sale, I'd take it, but I haven't found either. Anyway, my dilemma is that I'm using DP on 2 macs, a Powermac G4 quicksilver, and an iBook g3 "snow", both on 10.3.9. I want to use DP on my PowerBook running 10.4.11. It installed through the disk, but for some reason, the key code won't work! Any idea why?
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Digital Performer 4.0 key code trouble

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Key codes authorize specific drives, maybe specific machines, I don’t remember which. No, you can’t get a free upgrade. It’s interesting that you have DP 4 on several machines, yet only just registered on this forum today. Whatever.

If you do buy a used copy you’ll have to contact MOTU to transfer the license. You’ll also have to get the printed manual from the seller as there is no pdf manual for that version.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You're question was why the key code doesn't work, so presumably you have the original disk and codes. What does happen when you try to apply the code? IIRC, the process installs an invisible file either at the root of the drive you installed on, or in the main user directory -- I forget which.

If you search for files in these directories setting the find function to show invisible, you can see if the authorization file is there, and take it from there. Calling MOTU or using on line tech support and telling them what you see after the authorization might be the quickest way to resolve this.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Nbattista

Post by Nbattista »

When I put in the key code and name, the window just goes back to the blank "name" and "key code" window. DP on the other machines was installed years ago, back the early 2000s, and the reason why I wanted to install DP on my Powerbook was that I wanted to see if DP 4 would work and function on 10.4.11.
I want to install a SSD into my PowerMac g4 to replace the HDD. That's my ultimate goal, to have an SSD with DP4 on my PowerMac g4, but running into key code problems isn't a good sign with this project.

I've tried to find used copies of DP, but I've only seen DP10 and 9 for sale, nothing before. If you know a place where I could find these older versions, that'd be awesome.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I doubt you'll ever find copies of DP prior to V7 for sale, even if you can find that.

An SSD with DP 4 on it? Sounds like something out of Back to the Future.

My recollection of the authorization process is that you have to get the name exactly as it was for the purchase/registration. If you registered DP 4 all that info should be available at the MOTU site.

And, did you look? Is there an invisible registration file on your drive?
MIDI Life Crisis

there's no "place" you can find used copies, per se. Just hit and miss. Regardless, you'll have to go thru MOTU to get them to authorize.

That's all pretty old stuff. I'm not sure the authorization software even works n the OS. It's been a very long time since they were even legacy. Sorry the news isn't more promising, but it may well be a lost cause trying to reactivate that copy.

If you're willing to buy a used copy of DP 4 or 5, why not a used copy of 9 or 10? I would suspect that the older copy might be more expensive since it's so rare. It's also brain dead on newer machines, so if you're serious about using DP you might want to look at purchasing 10, with the caveat that it may require an OS upgrade to work. Probably not a good option for you, I'm guessing.

It is sad to see these old guys (computers and software, that is) go obsolete. I still fondly remember SMPTETrack on my Atari 1040. Of course, DP has come a very long way and if you haven't been keeping up to date, it's awesome. The difference between DP 4 and DP 10 is comparable to the difference between a row boat and a cabin cruiser. But as you are on Mac OS 10.4, you're probably not interested in the latest, greatest advancements in computer science.

Most of the people here are fanboys for DP. lol

I'm curious, have you been making music in that program this whole time or are you just getting back into it? I thought that, perhaps, you bought the computer with DP 4 on it. The last used machine I bought had DP. Pro Tools, and every other Mac program you can imagine pre-installed. I NEVER used bootlegged programs so I just wiped the drive and installed my system, but I digress.

You know, it's like seeing a dinosaur walk into the forum, seeing a post about DP 4. I remember it fondly, as well, and DP was a fantastic release. DP 6 was a total dog. DP 7 was great (and remains so for some power users). DP 8... meh. DP 9 was phenomenal! DP 10 is an improvement, but needs an update (paid or otherwise).

What kind of work are you doing?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Use dashes, not minus signs. The Key Code is case sensitive.

If you cloned or migrated the system from another Mac, you will probably need to find the old invisible license files (I forget what they’re called) and remove them. There are old Tech Notes in MOTU Support about this.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

Nbattista wrote:When ... that'd be awesome.
I would suggest going with DP v. 7.24 - that seems to be a popular one with the retro-set.
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If you're going to pay for an upgrade from V4 anyway, ask MOTU if they'll give you 7.24 if you upgrade from V4 to V10. Previously, they have given people copies of earlier versions when they buy the current version. Whether they can go back to V 7, let alone V4, is the question.

V10 won't run on the Macs you mentioned, but if and when you have the right Mac (or a PC) you'll be ready.
Nbattista

Post by Nbattista »

Alright, I gotta couple of questions.

1. You said DP 6 was a dog, but what about DP5, is it better than DP 4?

2. I tried finding those invisable files, but I really don't know where to look, is it in the library folder?

3. I'm not really sure how to make a dash sign on a mac, I thought the minus and dash were the same thing, so how would I make a dash?

Thanks for all your help so far :>

Also yes, I have been making music this whole time with DP 4.
Last edited by Nbattista on Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Nbattista wrote:Alright, I gotta couple of questions.

1. Why was DP 5 a dog, is it better than DP 4 at least?

2. I tried finding those invisable files, but I really don't know where to look, is it in the library folder?

3. I'm not really sure how to make a dash sign on a mac, I thought the minus and dash were the same thing, so how would I make a dash?

Thanks for all your help so far :D
5 was fine. Some thought 6 was a dog. I didn't. But there's no point in getting 6 if you can get 7.

The invisible files are either in the main user directory or in the hard drive root directory. It's years since I had DP 4 or 5, so I don't remember which.

Dash: _
Minus: -

They're on your keyboard near the upper right.
Nbattista

Post by Nbattista »

I tried using a dash, and it still doesn't work. Its been years, so do I have to register the key code somewhere?

I tried finding the invisible files, but I'm not sure how to make them "visible" so I can take them out

Also, If I were to clone the Powermac G4s Hard drive to an SSD, would DP 4 work on that?

Thanks!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Google This: "Show Hidden Files On A Mac"
If you can see them, you can delete them.
MIDI Life Crisis

All this effort to run a program from 17 years ago? Whatever... :banghead:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Nbattista

Post by Nbattista »

Its just that my studio from the early 2000s still works. The power mac running 10.3.9 supports my EZ bus MIDI, and DP 4 works with that MIDI, and I want to make sure everything wil work before I try to update it to any degree. Also, I'm sure you know its expensive to upgrade these things, DP alone is $200+, so rather than spend that much on something new, I can just slightly upgrade my current set up for cheap, unless you know for a fact that my MIDI interface will work with a current DP and computer.
I'll check out how to find the invisible files on a mac, and I'll see if that works. Just to clarify deleting those files will make DP function?