I hope I am missing something....but

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
AGM
Primary DAW OS: Windows

I hope I am missing something....but

Post by AGM »

Soundbite volume layer is a wonderful and powerful feature. But its graphic implementation seems to be an exercise in painful squinting. The 'line' is almost zero width the points are tiny - and there's no visual feedback for what gain you are setting apart from at the track header. I hope I'm missing something otherwise FFS Motu.

Ta like, AGM
CharlzS

Re: I hope I am missing something....but

Post by CharlzS »

If you have the Cursor Information displayed in the Info Bar or the window open (shift-win-C), it shows the bite volume.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
daniel.sneed
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by daniel.sneed »

BTW, I would have much liked the rectified wave form to show the soundbite volume action.
But I guess there's too much computing involved. Maybe someday, with our super-computers...

By now, I make very little use of soundbite volume. Just in case of erratic playing, or singing, and the like.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
AGM

Post by AGM »

CharlzS wrote:If you have the Cursor Information displayed in the Info Bar or the window open (shift-win-C), it shows the bite volume.
Charlz to the rescue as ever! Thanks.

I could still with a fatter clearer line and points though.

AGM
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

When you adjust here, as opposed to using Soundbite Volume, the waveform size changes proportionally in the Sequence Window:
BITE GAIN
When audio tracks are resized vertically, and expanded far enough, each soundbite displays its Bite Gain setting and fader in the bottom left corner as shown in Figure 38-35. Bite Gain non- destructively raises or attenuates the overall volume of the soundbite. The range is from -140 to +80 dB. This is the same setting as found in the Sound File Info panel (see “Sound File Information” on page 365). Click the fader icon to adjust the Bite Gain.
I haven't used Soundbite Volume for years.
AGM

Post by AGM »

Thanks HCM - Isn't Bitegain an overall setting? I'm using soundbite gain to tuck some music under speech - a fade in a plateau and then another fade up - or a dip for a voice over.

I guess most people probably use automation for that, but I like the simplicity of the soundbite gain and it always follows the sound bite. I just think the visual interface is a bit sucky. Ta like, AGM
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

AGM wrote:Thanks HCM - Isn't Bitegain an overall setting? I'm using soundbite gain to tuck some music under speech - a fade in a plateau and then another fade up - or a dip for a voice over.

I guess most people probably use automation for that, but I like the simplicity of the soundbite gain and it always follows the sound bite. I just think the visual interface is a bit sucky. Ta like, AGM
I see. I generally use a compressor with side chain driven by the voiceover to take care of such issues, and if there is a problematic section, automate music volume or cut up the music soundbite (Command-Y the section in question), adjust gain and crossfade in and out. In the context of a song's vocal, I cut up vocal soundbites and adjust vocal gain, sometimes a word at a time.
AGM

Post by AGM »

Well I have been missing something, quite a lot really! I've just watched a chunk of the second webinar and I've just discovered the joys of the reshape tool. Nice when used in addition to soundbite volume curves. I do hope they redo the webinar on working with pitch, they are a great resource. AGM
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

I like using an assigned shortcut to set bite gain and type in a number (-3 or 5 etc) and hit enter. It's a crazy fast and great because it can work with multiple soundbites but keep in mind it any boost or attenuation you make comes before the channel strip.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina