Is there an Easier Way - Aux bus for a set of Tracks

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rp88.2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Is there an Easier Way - Aux bus for a set of Tracks

Post by rp88.2 »

Is there an easier way to create an Aux bus for a set of Tracks?

Currently, I am working with sets of tracks that are a mixture of audio and plug-in instruments (so I have a MIDI track and instrument track for each plug-in instrument).

What I am currently doing in 'Sequence view':
1. Creating a New stereo bundle, e.g., bus 5-6
2. Creating an AUX track and setting the input to bus 5-6
3. Setting the individual audio tracks output to bus 5-6
4. Tracking down the instruments corresponding to the MIDI tracks and setting their output to bus 5-6.

Is there an easier way?
There are some DAWs that do all the routing, etc. when you select the tracks and right-click to 'group'.

Thanks in advance.
bayswater

Re: Is there an Easier Way - Aux bus for a set of Tracks

Post by bayswater »

If the tracks you want to assign are grouped, you can assign one of them and the rest will be done at the same time. You can use the track selector to show only the tracks to be assigned, and then use the Temporary Group Visible command to group them. In some situations, the Track Assignments command might be better.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
rp88.2

Post by rp88.2 »

Thank you Bayswater. I was thinking of track groups, but didn't want faders, etc. to be permanent early in the production/arrangement process. Temporary grouping might be the way to go.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

rp88.2 wrote:Thank you Bayswater. I was thinking of track groups, but didn't want faders, etc. to be permanent early in the production/arrangement process. Temporary grouping might be the way to go.
You can easily define and change at any time what a group is allowed to affect> Faders only, selections only, every parameter, etc.

The same applies to temporary groups and tracks grouped by t or w.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
RROY

Post by RROY »

Option A let’s you assign ins and outs for tracks you have highlighted all at once.
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
rp88.2

Post by rp88.2 »

Thank you - that is helpful! :D
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I know this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I feel like it can't be reminded enough. It's a very useful little tip for changing track assigns:

1. Select a MIDI track(s)
2. SHIFT-UP/DOWN ARROW to change output device/VI
3. OPT-UP/DOWN ARROW to change output channel
4. SHIFT-OPT-UP/DOWN ARROW to move selection to next track

Notice that you can select a group of tracks and change the device/VI and it will retain the channel setting. If you change the MIDI channel of multiple tracks it will nudge each channel setting up/down one-at-a-time
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com