Garrick Ohlsson on how to practice 26 min.

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Garrick Ohlsson on how to practice 26 min.

Post by mikehalloran »

Long story short. After three months, our piano is back together—the action arrived and initial setup, regulation, tuning etc. is done. The tech we used was recommended by Yamaha/Bösendorfer and we are very happy with the work. He was done in April but with the current situation...

Among the many things we learned was that the piano in Garrick Olhsson's San Francisco apartment is a hundred year old Model 200 like ours — give or take. Neither piano has a serial number but otherwise, they're identical. Ok, that's cool.

While doing a little web surfing, I came across the following video on how to practice. Although he's playing a piano, most of the tips can be applied to any instrument. You have to give an email address to view the lesson but there's no verification link so input what you want.

https://tb.media/OhlssonFreeLesson

My wife is over the moon about how our piano sounds and plays. We consider the money very well spent and wish we'd been able to do it 10 years ago. The last time it had been done was when we bought it in 1979.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Re: Garrick Ohlsson on how to practice 26 min.

Post by mhschmieder »

I looked it up and it's 6'7", which I think matches my parents' Mason & Hamlin BB dimensions.

My recollection is that Ohlsson was the first pianist I heard in concert using a Bösendorfer ; I was in music school at Indiana University at the time, when he came as part of the annual guest artist performance series (and I believe did a clinic, but I wasn't majoring in piano). He, along with the piano, made an indelible impression on me that has lasted to this day.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

mikehalloran wrote:While doing a little web surfing, I came across the following video on how to practice. Although he's playing a piano, most of the tips can be applied to any instrument. You have to give an email address to view the lesson but there's no verification link so input what you want.
That was interesting and useful. His playing is so masterful, you get that his advice is backed up by serious experience and hard work.

I noticed that his description of approaching two chords in rapid succession is comparable to drumming stick-control methods. It also hints at the ubiquitous "economy of motion" advice that is part of most instrumental technique tutelage.

The camera angle didn't allow me to see what he was doing with that cool thumb technique toward the end of the lesson. It was apparently an intriguing way to help make some phrases smoother-- even if not fully doing the kind of wormy thumb-crawly thingy. But I did want to see it on the keys more clearly. His left-hand demo wasn't very obvious to me.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bdr

Post by bdr »

Thanks for the link to the video Mike. I enjoyed it a lot, and I was really interested that his first few minutes was spent on something I try to get into my students...practice what you can’t do, not what you can. Seems simple but is often a revelation.

I have a couple of other places I like to go for practicing and playing tips. Graeme Fitch’s blog
https://practisingthepiano.com/blog/ is great, there’s an ‘academy’ with a monthly charge, but the blog itself is free and chock full of wonderful advice. Reading his series of ebooks was a total revelation on learning and practicing to me...which maybe means I didn’t have the greatest piano teachers in the past.

The other resource I like is Josh Wright’s you tube channel...I just find his approach and ideas stimulating and so helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/user/joshwrightpiano
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Hmmm... won't validate my email so can't watch. Bummer.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Hmmm... won't validate my email so can't watch. Bummer.
Same here. Tried several different addresses.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Hmmm... won't validate my email so can't watch. Bummer.
Weird. It didn't try to validate mine. I just tried a few including some that I was making up.

Could it be a browser issue? I'm using Chrome.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Good point. I’ll try Chrome and FireFux.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Not working in Chrome or Firefox here...
MIDI Life Crisis

I’ll try Netscape. Lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

...and Brave and Opera. Must be regional or DNS related.