iPad Opinions Requested!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
wdegillio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

iPad Opinions Requested!

Post by wdegillio »

My first-generation iPad Air has given up the ghost, and I'm ready to replace it with a current model. I'm trying to decide between a iPad (7th gen.) and the iPad Air(3). (I don't think I'll need the horsepower of the Pro for my applications, as great as they are.) I'd love to hear some opinions on how the entry-level iPad handles basic synth apps. I won't be doing any heavy-duty sequencing or music production with it- I'll leave that to my desktop system. The better quality, reduced-glare display on the Air is quite tempting, but money is an object, and the price difference can be put into the accessories I'll need (case, Camera Adapter, etc.). Opinions please!
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: iPad Opinions Requested!

Post by CharlzS »

No opinion on which one, but check the referb store if budget conscious. Some good discounts, full warranty and AppleCare available on all. Bought my last 6G there and no complaints.
https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/ ... d-ipad-air
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I can't think of doing music on an iPad without having the horsepower and storage of a Pro under the hood. Mine's a 2nd gen and I see there are some in the Refurb Store.

I gig live and record to DP with mine.

As nice as the current versions must be, I have no desire to get the latest and greatest.

The following lets you hook up anything and has a headphone out jack. After a bump took out the jack in my Air 1—the only fix is a new motherboard—this saved my butt. Being USB 3, latency is so low as to be undetectable.
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-External- ... 05&sr=8-10

Requires the CCK.
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning- ... 210&sr=8-2
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
leigh

Post by leigh »

I strongly recommend the iPad Pro (2nd gen.), too!
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I can only tell you about my own experience going from the original 2nd generation iPad to the iPad Pro. I have to agree with Mike that the power behind the pro, as well as a larger screen, will be well worth the extra $$$. The case, etc. is a minor consideration, IMO. The main thing is getting the hardware that will serve you well.

I tend to look at such things like this. My MP trashcan cost $4k plus another $1k in various accessories. Total, about $5k. I've had it since later 2013. That's 6.5 years so far. Let say it lasts to late 2021 (unlikely it will go south anytime soon, but for arguments sake) that would be 8 years.

$5k divided by 8 years is about $625/year, about $52/month or $1.75/day. Is your music worth that, even if you're not using it for production? And frankly, why not use it for production? Some synth apps are just crazy good. I just loaded the Korg Wavestation and M1 synths for $30 each and both cards for the M1 at $5 each. I have the Korg Legacy package on my Mac but these ipad synths are just as good, if not better in some ways. The GUI is much improved and the sound is nothing short of fantastic.

I get that money is an object. It is here and most everywhere. I also know that you get what you pay for. This is a once in a decade purchase for most. Expanding my earlier example, if my trashcan lasts a decade (more than likely) I'm down to about $1.40/day.

In that light, I'd say get the best machine you can and don't try to pinch pennies. In the long run, that will only hold you back when you want to push the system a bit.

OTOH, if you already know that you simply don't want to spend the money, I'd stay away from the "air" version of hardware, personally. I like being able to plug hardwired stuff in when wireless gets wonky.

At any rate, that my $1.42 worth of advice.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

Gentlemen, thanks so much for your help with my request. You've given me much food for thought here; everyone stay safe!
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones